Trackable Thievery

FamilyStampeders

I grabbed trackable from Iceland and dropped it into a local cache. I've been watching it. About a week ago, someone posted that they had grabbed it and would move it on. The post said that they were motorcycling from Sweden and would like to have taken it home to place but that it wouldn't be for a few weeks. Instead, they said they would drop it along their trip. It seems like a dream but I did not dream this up... I know I read this but
The post is now gone and so is the trackable. 
Is this a normal method for stealing trackables? Posting, swiping, and erasing post?  Is there a way to search erased logs? It's driving me crazy and makes me wonder if I want to mess with placing trackables.

14 minutes ago, FamilyStampeders said:

I grabbed trackable from Iceland and dropped it into a local cache. I've been watching it.

About a week ago, someone posted that they had grabbed it and would move it on. The post said that they were motorcycling from Sweden and would like to have taken it home to place but that it wouldn't be for a few weeks. Instead, they said they would drop it along their trip.

It seems like a dream but I did not dream this up... I know I read this but
Is this a normal method for stealing trackables? Posting, swiping, and erasing post?  Is there a way to search erased logs?

It's driving me crazy and makes me wonder if I want to mess with placing trackables.

The trackable still shows you dropped it in a cache.

It's possible I guess that someone logged it by mistake, and simply deleted their log.

Reviewers and HQ can see deleted logs, but doubtful the site will get involved for one trackable.

But you have the trackable's Tracking code clearly visible in the photo on your Retrieved log.

You really should delete the photo, or cover the code.

I'd bet that it just as possible that someone "Discovered" that trackable that you furnished the "secret" code to.  ;)

- And HQ has been deleting fake "Discover" logs from a few accounts known to be fakers.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FamilyStampeders said:

I grabbed trackable from Iceland and dropped it into a local cache. I've been watching it. About a week ago, someone posted that they had grabbed it and would move it on. The post said that they were motorcycling from Sweden and would like to have taken it home to place but that it wouldn't be for a few weeks. Instead, they said they would drop it along their trip. It seems like a dream but I did not dream this up... I know I read this but
Is this a normal method for stealing trackables? Posting, swiping, and erasing post?  Is there a way to search erased logs? It's driving me crazy and makes me wonder if I want to mess with placing trackables.

It is not normal method to log a Found on a cache you didn't sign the log. 

This is just my opinion, but if someone is stealing the trackable it seems unlikely to me that they're going to make a log of it online for others to see. There could be several explanations for a deleted log. 

Thanks for your input. Cerburus1 I deleted the photo. It was our first unexpected trackable find - on the trail, I had no ideas of the rules. Photo deleted!
Max and 99 - absolutely agree!

Edited by FamilyStampeders
Deleted second sentence just before hitting enter by mistake. Re-added it
  • Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, FamilyStampeders said:

Thanks for your input. Cerburus1 I deleted the photo. It was our first unexpected trackable find - on the trail, I had no ideas of the rules. Photo deleted!

Cool.  :)    Most trackables we spot are unexpected these days. 

Logging  trackables an issue for many, for some odd reason. 

We've found more trackables in caches that didn't have it in the cache's inventory.

There's a lotta stuff on trackables in the Help Center,  and what isn't covered just might be answered here.    ;)

ETA... 

To be clear, most TOs like photos.   Just the side not showing the code, or by "blocking/erasing" the code side.

Photos help put the TO at ease, comforted that the trackable they released into the wild appears to be still in play.  

Edited by cerberus1
On 6/30/2020 at 9:27 AM, FamilyStampeders said:

If you take a photo of a TB and the code shows, use Photoshop or another photo editing software to blur the code.

• Helpful 1

I was looking at the trackable GeoGems and thinking they'd be a high-loss trackable, being all shiny. So I had the brilliant idea of copying the code onto something else to send out into the wild and keeping the gem in possession. Had a bit of a look around and not only has this been thought of before (probably ten seconds after thinking of creating tracking codes) but it's also in the rules already! Whoops, so much for my original idea... :D 

13 hours ago, Unit473L said:

I was looking at the trackable GeoGems and thinking they'd be a high-loss trackable, being all shiny. So I had the brilliant idea of copying the code onto something else to send out into the wild and keeping the gem in possession. Had a bit of a look around and not only has this been thought of before (probably ten seconds after thinking of creating tracking codes) but it's also in the rules already! Whoops, so much for my original idea... :D 

I think maybe the site even realizes that trackables (coins especially) are ripe for theft.

- But I feel your understanding in that link is incorrect...     

You're thinking about using a proxy .  Still not an original idea.     :D

It's simply a copy/mirror of a trackable already owned, sent out into the wild to keep the original safe.

There are even companies that will create proxies for you.  Some cost as much as the original.  ;)

That section in the Help Center deals with "custom" trackables.  For example, we'll say it's a  single, hand-made medallion of some sort.

You buy a standard Travel Bug or tag from anywhere,  whatever's on sale, and you're simply using that trackable's code to etch/stamp into your custom medallion.

It's the cheapest way to make one custom trackable.   :)

We know a lot of people who "re-use" codes from long-"missing" trackables, and putting them on other things too.  You own that code forever.

I still have an original geogem from an '08 mega unactivated. Green.  They were hard to find for a couple years...

The other 2/3rds had both hers gone, two separate caches,  before the next log.  :o   Yep, use a proxy.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:31 AM, FamilyStampeders said:

It's not a dream, it's a nightmare.

I've got TB's that were shanghai'ed by people who joined, logged the TB, and never logged back in again.

If anyone here sees my posts and sees ANY of my missing TB's anywhere...

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION to snag them, contact me, I'll give you the reward, and pay the postage so they can come home.

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R
  • Funny 1