Blank Visit Logs

MatildaWolf

I recently picked up my first TBs and I noticed that most, if not all, the "Visit" logs made by others are blank. However, when I go to make a visit log for the TB, it won't let me post it without typing something first. I would prefer my visit logs to be blank as well since that looks a lot cleaner. Am I missing something obvious?

If needed: I'm trying to log the visits on the app. I couldn't find a way to log visits on the website.

10 minutes ago, MatildaWolf said:

I recently picked up my first TBs and I noticed that most, if not all, the "Visit" logs made by others are blank. However, when I go to make a visit log for the TB, it won't let me post it without typing something first. I would prefer my visit logs to be blank as well since that looks a lot cleaner. Am I missing something obvious?

If needed: I'm trying to log the visits on the app. I couldn't find a way to log visits on the website.

How do you think we logged TBs before the app? In the main geocaching site, under play, you can click on Trackables. You can also access the TB page from the Geocache page. Both the website and the app.  

You prefer the logs be blank because it looks cleaner?

17 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

How do you think we logged TBs before the app? In the main geocaching site, under play, you can click on Trackables. You can also access the TB page from the Geocache page. Both the website and the app.  

You prefer the logs be blank because it looks cleaner?

I'm asking about Visit logs only. The ones where you're "dipping" a trackable in a cache just to say it's been there. When I try to log from my trackable inventory on the website it doesn't give me the option to log a "Visit"; it gives me the option to write a note for the TB owner.

When I mean I prefer my logs to be blank, I mean just my Visit logs. On both of the TBs I currently have, everyone who logged Visits previously didn't have any text attached to their Visit log. All their Visit logs say "[Username] took it to [cache name]". However, when I go to make a Visit log, it won't let me post it without me typing something first.

Edited by MatildaWolf
9 hours ago, MatildaWolf said:

I'm trying to log the visits on the app. I couldn't find a way to log visits on the website.

It's a little odd at first, if you haven't done it, but pretty simple.  First, the TB must be in your Inventory, and based on your posts, I guess it is.

[EDIT: The App has changed to require text entry].  On the web site, you make a Visit Log by first typing your cache log (probably a Found It log), and selecting the "Visit" option on the TB you wish to make a Visit log for.  Then you submit the cache log.  This creates two logs, one for the cache, and the "blank" Visit for the TB.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=30&pgid=151

You can also edit a previously submitted cache log, and add the Visit, but I think that only works from the web site.  Same thing for that blank Visit log.  I know you want it blank, but you may edit it using the web site, otherwise it is blank.  I add photos of my TB (with other TBs disvovered or whatever), and sometimes a little story.  But by default, it just says "took it to".

1e609541-cf2b-4eba-8f07-9315f65b812e_l.jpg       fcb81243-4051-4925-af4b-dbcf233bceb3_l.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The process is the same whether in The Official App or on the web site, although the interface is different.  You make a Visit Log by first typing your cache log (probably a Found It log), and selecting the "Visit" option on the TB you wish to make a Visit log for.  Then you submit the cache log.  This creates two logs, one for the cache, and the "blank" Visit for the TB.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=30&pgid=151

You can also edit a previously submitted cache log, and add the Visit, but I think that only works from the web site.

Thank you! That's what I was doing wrong then. I wasn't aware that I could create TB logs that way. I was doing the cache log and the TB logs separately.

I tried to edit my Visit logs I made before and it still makes me have some sort of typing in it. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, MatildaWolf said:

Thank you! That's what I was doing wrong then. I wasn't aware that I could create TB logs that way. I was doing the cache log and the TB logs separately.

I tried to edit my Visit logs I made before and it still makes me have some sort of typing in it. Oh well.

Yes, I tried it and sure enough, an edited "blank" Visit log requires text entry.  I hadn't noticed til now.

7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

When I log TBs on the app for a visit I am given a text box. 

I tried a cache log just now on the Official App on my iPhone, and I don't see the option to add a TB log.  It's changed since the last time I tried that.

[EDIT: OK, I found it within the App in the cacher Trackable Inventory.  Select a cache first, then it requires text entry.]

Edited by kunarion
33 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I tried a cache log just now on the Official App on my iPhone, and I don't see the option to add a TB log.  It's changed since the last time I tried that.

[EDIT: OK, I found it within the App in the cacher Trackable Inventory.  Select a cache first, then it requires text entry.]

Just to clarify, when I am on a cache page on the app, and make a TB log, I am given a text box.

8 hours ago, MatildaWolf said:

Thanks again for the help! I was able to go back to the cache logs I made today and made default Visit logs for the trackables I had with me.

You may try logging TBs later, once you are back at a PC and can log on a web site.  Your Profile's "Last Logs" page shows cache logs in the order you found them.  Click a cache, make a Visit log the old-fashioned way, no "text entry" required.

That's not the only way to do things, and you can use The App for some TB logs.  The reason I suggest using the web browser afterward is, if you're working with TBs, you're bound to find some that have very messed up logs.  On a PC, you can open a new window to do research, and maybe unscramble a TB Inventory.  On a phone within the App, you get the text entry box only.

And don't get in the habit of making empty TB logs.  For your own, it's cool.  For other peoples', a little extra information might be welcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Just to clarify, when I am on a cache page on the app, and make a TB log, I am given a text box.

Yeah, that's new.  Or at least it changed since I last tried it. :)

I'm interested in how The App now handles a TB that's physically in a cache where it's not logged.  That is, how helpful The App is, as it relates to unscrambling a mis-logged TB.  I'll give it a test, next time the opportunity arises. :D

I almost always do Trackable Logs at home on my PC.  There tends to be something to research before I can log some stray TB I picked up.  Plus I often post a photo, and I edit/resize photos, and prefer not to send photos over phone data.  And the web site process has not changed recently, so I don't have to re-learn how to log a TB.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Yeah, that's new.  Or at least it changed since I last tried it. :)

I almost always do Trackable Logs at home on my PC.  There tends to be something to research before I can log some stray TB I picked up.  Plus I often post a photo, and I edit/resize photos, and prefer not to send photos over phone data.

I prefer logging TBs on the PC too. 

38 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I almost always do Trackable Logs at home on my PC.  There tends to be something to research before I can log some stray TB I picked up.  Plus I often post a photo, and I edit/resize photos, and prefer not to send photos over phone data.  And the web site process has not changed recently, so I don't have to re-learn how to log a TB.

I rarely log TB's "in the field" (or any other log!) via the app.  My habit is to log drafts on the phone app, or just a Found It tap on the Etrex 30x, and flesh out the logs later on the PC at home.  In fact, about the only "live posts" I'll do is log a drop or retrieve on a TB (on the off chance someone will visit before I have a chance to do the log later in day; it's happened!) or log a  quick FTF so others can relax!  In both those cases, I will add more to my log later on too.

Blank visit logs are not usually my style; yes, they give the TB some mileage, but they don't tell a story!  I will do selective visits to a cache or two in the area, take photos, and try to keep to the mission.  For instance, I carried https://coord.info/TB9628K with me across the country, visited select caches, took a few photos, then dropped it in an ammo can in a very pet friendly park.  Yes, there are a couple of blank logs, but most contain a photo or two, and over half the gallery photos are ones I added.  We'll see how the next cacher does!  A majority of the TB's I see are filled with those "blank" Took it to.... logs.  I much prefer photos and some narrative!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1