How do I add trackables to my own cache?

Fundeens

I have trackables in my inventory, but I don't know how to move them from "in the hands of owner" to my cache that I put them in.

In other words,  I didn't find a cache, I own it and want to put some trackables into it and have my Inventory panel reflect where they are,  I just can't seem to find any other option than "move to my collection".   Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Fundeens said:

I have trackables in my inventory, but I don't know how to move them from "in the hands of owner" to my cache that I put them in.

In other words,  I didn't find a cache, I own it and want to put some trackables into it and have my Inventory panel reflect where they are,  I just can't seem to find any other option than "move to my collection".   Thanks in advance.

Go to the geocache page. Log a note and you'll see your inventory: you can select the TB and drop it in the cache.

• Helpful 3
6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Go to the geocache page. Log a note and you'll see your inventory: you can select the TB and drop it in the cache.

I must be doing something wrong.   I have it in my inventory, and when I add a log, it doesn't change anything other than say I have a log.

In my "Your Trackables Inventory", I have 2 choices,  1. Log  and  2 .Move to Collection.   No option to drop in cache..

8 minutes ago, Fundeens said:

I must be doing something wrong.   I have it in my inventory, and when I add a log, it doesn't change anything other than say I have a log.

In my "Your Trackables Inventory", I have 2 choices,  1. Log  and  2 .Move to Collection.   No option to drop in cache..

As Max and 99 wrote: go to the GEOCACHE page NOT the TB page.

Create a log (write note) and "drop" the TB

log_TB.thumb.jpg.aefc54d991010b0241d217217ddfaf36.jpg

Edited by on4bam
  • Helpful 3
23 minutes ago, on4bam said:

As Max and 99 wrote: go to the GEOCACHE page NOT the TB page.

Create a log (write note) and "drop" the TB

log_TB.thumb.jpg.aefc54d991010b0241d217217ddfaf36.jpg

Got it!   Wow, that's a weird way to do it.  I figured there would just be an option from Inventory.   Thanks for your help!

1 minute ago, Fundeens said:

Got it!   Wow, that's a weird way to do it.  I figured there would just be an option from Inventory.   Thanks for your help!

I just got the notification and saw that you dropped it. Now you know how. In the future if you Find a cache you can just drop a TB with the Found It log.

1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:

Not weird at all. It would be weird not to have to make a log to say where the TB has gone.

It's weird to me as I purchased these trackables for the sole purpose of adding to my caches.  I registered them, and they appeared in my inventory.  There are options to Write a Note or to Move to Collection.   Seems to me like there should be an option that allows me to add to my personal caches.   But, I get it now...  

27 minutes ago, Fundeens said:

It's weird to me as I purchased these trackables for the sole purpose of adding to my caches.  I registered them, and they appeared in my inventory.  There are options to Write a Note or to Move to Collection.   Seems to me like there should be an option that allows me to add to my personal caches.   But, I get it now...  

If you physically put the TB in your cache, then you'd want to log a note to acknowledge that the TB was put into that cache. Now people know it's there, and will come looking for it. When they retrieve it (take it out of your geocache) they'll log a Retrieve on the TB with their cache log.

20 year Geo Tag.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Fundeens said:

It's weird to me as I purchased these trackables for the sole purpose of adding to my caches.  I registered them, and they appeared in my inventory.  There are options to Write a Note or to Move to Collection.   

Seems to me like there should be an option that allows me to add to my personal caches.   But, I get it now...  

No offense, but the first thing I'd do is change all my trackables to "not collectible". 

They should know better, but new and  some older folks think you're saying it's okay to take it.   "Collect me"...

Most of ours that were out were like your Easter tag, just left alone with "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference".  

We only mark them "collectible" when we're going to move them to our collection ( a buncha numismatics binders).

- Moving them to our collection keeps them off our inventory when logging.

There is, and you did it.   All trackable movements require a log...    :)

3 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Because it is all set out on one page, with the TBs under the text area. Easily seen, and no need for searching for the TBs. They are in plain sight.

My reaction was more like "where does this come from?" No-one even hinted towards doing this with an app, it was all about website/computer anyway.

Besides, everything is easier on a computer B)

19 hours ago, on4bam said:

My reaction was more like "where does this come from?" No-one even hinted towards doing this with an app, it was all about website/computer anyway.

Besides, everything is easier on a computer B)

When I wrote that, I didn't see any mention of where this was being done, and so often I see people struggling, because they are using the app, not the computer. And it isn't always immediately apparent that they are using an app. For instance, I have no idea of how to have the TBs visit to a cache on the app, but it's easy on the computer.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:33 PM, Goldenwattle said:

Not weird at all. It would be weird not to have to make a log to say where the TB has gone.

It Is weird not to have the option on the trackable page. When it comes to user interfaces, you perform ACTIONS on THINGS. 

If I want to CANCEL an ORDER, I would expect to do that on the order page. 
If I want to UPDATE my ACCOUT DETAILS, I’d do that on my account details page. 
If I want to DROP-OFF a TRACKABLE, I’d have an -option- to do that from the trackable page. 

Once you understand to do it from the cache page, it’s not hard, but he has a valid opinion. 

6 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

If I want to CANCEL an ORDER, I would expect to do that on the order page.

I interpret that for a TB, as delete a visit. That is on the trackable page. See below.

8 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

If I want to UPDATE my ACCOUT DETAILS, I’d do that on my account details page.

If you want to update the visit, that is also on the trackable page, in the log for that visit. As is Current GOAL & About This Item.

10 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

If I want to DROP-OFF a TRACKABLE, I’d have an -option- to do that from the trackable page.

The idea is that a trackable travels from cache to cache, so it's nice for the cache it visits to have a log too, and the easiest way is to do that when logging the cache.

Deleting TB visit.jpg

12 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

The idea is that a trackable travels from cache to cache, so it's nice for the cache it visits to have a log too, and the easiest way is to do that when logging the cache.

You’re responding to a point I did not make. It may be easier to do it as you log caches, but the fact that you can’t do it from the trackable page can seem confusing to new users. A valid point made by the original poster that you dismissed. 

4 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

You’re responding to a point I did not make. It may be easier to do it as you log caches, but the fact that you can’t do it from the trackable page can seem confusing to new users. A valid point made by the original poster that you dismissed. 

The first time I logged a trackable, I didn't find it confusing at all.

I was explaining why it's good to have to visit the cache, make a log and then also visit the TB. Otherwise, people can visit the TB to any cache, even if they haven't visited it.

Edited by Goldenwattle

The reason you log the trackable on the cachepage is because any TB you take/drop is removed/added to the cache inventory. If you just see a TB, then it can be discovered "in cache GC*****" or "in the hands of ***" on the trackable page.

I've never wondered why things are done the way they are since we started in 2006. Also here, no confusion at all.

Wouldn't it be weird to log a cache as "found it" and then having to open the TB page and log the TB as "retrieved" or "dropped" and making a note from/to which cache?

<Off-topic>

It's even easier when using the API instead of the website. When I log from GSAK, in the log window, I just select "trackables" which give me two "columns" one with trackables in my possession, one with trackables in the cache I'm writing the log for. I just fill in the tracking number and log text and that's it. The software logs all caches and TBs without me even having to consider on what page the logs need to be written.

</off-topic)

18 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Wouldn't it be weird to log a cache as "found it" and then having to open the TB page and log the TB as "retrieved" or "dropped" and making a note from/to which cache?

The App is currently working like that.  Choose a TB from your cacher Trackable Inventory and choose a log type, select a cache from the map, then you're presented with a text box for the Trackable log.  That's a lot different than how it works on the web site, so on the App you can't quickly "dip" your whole inventory anymore.  On the plus side, the presentation of a text box encourages typing of some actual TB log.  On the web site, TB log text entry is several clicks away.

I didn't test The App to see if I could "Visit" a TB to a cache I have not logged.  It's different, it's another idea, I'm not saying it's bad, but being a whole new way to do things, it will at least confuse everybody. B)

Edited by kunarion
6 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The App is currently working like that.  Choose a TB from your cacher Trackable Inventory and choose a log type, select a cache from the map, then you're presented with a text box for the Trackable log.

I've never seen it done that way. I always log a TB from a cache page, either a TB in the cache inventory or my inventory. 

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I didn't test The App to see if I could "Visit" a TB to a cache I have not logged.  It's different, it's another idea, I'm not saying it's bad, but being a whole new way to do things, it will at least confuse everybody.

I believe you can. 

I just tested this, and yes, you can log a TB visit, drop, retrieve on a cache you have not logged as found, in the app.  Interesting.

19 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I just tested this, and yes, you can log a TB visit, drop, retrieve on a cache you have not logged as found, in the app.  Interesting.

Perhaps it's done to cater for armchair loggers/fake found it logs?

Should be interesting to see "couldn't find the container but left TB that I found the tracking code for online"  :ph34r::lol: