Limit Event Size

sloth96

With COVID-19 restrictions going around, some places have restrictions on gathering sizes.  How does one restrict the size of the group at events to allow the event to occur and remain legal within the other rules?

HQ uses a website and has used event brite in the past to basically issue tickets to limit the flow to that cache.  (iirc tickets were issued per person not per caching name.) They also were going to have special rules in place for the 20 year celebration.

One possibility that came to mind was to break an event into a series of 15 minute gatherings and issue tickets for the gatherings so that at no time there is more than the legal limit. By stacking these gatherings, one could have as many attendees as possible. In the case of my state, an hour event could support 40 people which is larger than most events locally.  For state rules it would be separate events.  For geocaching it would be one event.

How are folks handling this?

Is it really an event if folks are "just passing through" ?   Even the flash mobs were extended in time...      

Most have seen "pushing the limits" folks.  When do you think the first "drive-by" event will happen ?   IIRC, it already has...

Simply make mention if your area has a person limit on the event page. 

Let folks know that when the limit's reached, that's all that will be accepted.

This is only a temporary thing, and most will understand.  :)

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Events are being handled in different ways in different areas. Here's a LINKY THINGY to the Geocaching wiki for Massachusetts.

It appears that events are not being published in MA at this time.

Understood but I am trying to understand what techniques are being used elsewhere to manage events.  

Government rules can change or if the current restrictions stay in place indefinitely, what do alternatives look like.  It is nice to be ready.

45 minutes ago, igator210 said:

I cancelled my Celebration event for next month because the limit size was capped at 25 by the county. I didn't want to assign people times to show up or tell people they couldn't come. 

Oh I understand that. When this first started I cancelled my event.  However if it means no events for the next 5 years then I might change my thoughts.

The flip side is a 25 person event with 20 disappointed people is better than a 0 person event with 45 disappointed people.

I'm noticing some series of caches having someone ask if "I'm heading to...anyone else going to walk" on a certain date.

Group caching popular again here.  Gals mostly.   People (hopefully) distanced, yet caching together in a group.

I have issues right now, but get emails a lot asking if I'm heading to a long-distance such n such cache soon.    

I feel they're currently taking the place of events.  Healthier too.

Groups we're familiar with sitting on their cans at events,  all together again walking.   :)

• Surprised 1

If events are limited to only ticket-holding attendees, I will be selling tickets for all my planned events. I might even consider sending a percentage of the take to HQ. :ph34r:

Realistically, I will postpone again (as I have done with two events so far) if any limits are placed on the number allowed to attend.