Am I a jerk for removing FPs on archived caches?

Enjayen

Typical story: I found a cache I liked a lot so I gave it a favorite point. A year or so later it's archived, and I'm low on favorite points.

I figured that the main reason for FPs is to filter caches on a map to get the "best" ones in the area.

If a cache is archived, it won't show up regardless. Am I being a jerk by removing FPs from archived caches?

• Helpful 2
1 minute ago, Enjayen said:

Typical story: I found a cache I liked a lot so I gave it a favorite point. A year or so later it's archived, and I'm low on favorite points.

I figured that the main reason for FPs is to filter caches on a map to get the "best" ones in the area.

If a cache is archived, it won't show up regardless. Am I being a jerk by removing FPs from archived caches?

No. You are not a jerk for doing that. You will get a lot of varying opinions on this subject. It has been discussed before in the forums. 

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

No. You are not a jerk for doing that. You will get a lot of varying opinions on this subject. It has been discussed before in the forums. 

Thanks, I figured I might be stirring the pot haha

Edited by Enjayen
1 minute ago, L0ne.R said:

Archived caches keep their Favorite points. You can choose to remove a Favorite point from an archived geocache to award it to a new one. Visit your Favorites List to find out which of your Favorited caches are archived.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=287

That's what I've done, I'm more concerned as to the potential rudeness behind it.

2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Totally understandable. I guess it all depends on who owns that cache. ?

True. Some people seem to take geocaching a bit more seriously than others. I tend to stay relaxed about it. While that means I don't get offended by something(especially so trivial) like this, it also means I tend to annoy other people a bit more.

For me, the FPs I give are a record of the caches I've most enjoyed and as an additional thank you to the CO. Neither of those things change if the cache is archived so I don't remove them. Most of the caches I give FPs to get few finds, as they're usually the higher D/T ones, so are unlikely to show up on anyone searching by FP count anyway, and likewise, as I discovered during last year's Cache Carnival promotion, a lot of the caches with high numbers of FPs are ones I don't particularly enjoy, so I doubt my FPs would have much relevance to other seekers.

But having said that, different people view FPs differently and there's nothing wrong with removing them from archived caches, or even active ones if something about the cache has changed your mind about it being one of your favourites.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Enjayen said:

That's what I've done, I'm more concerned as to the potential rudeness behind it.

It’s rude only if you do it to be rude. I'm not sure what your intentions are. Looks like you're trying to evoke emotion.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 2

Since FPs are IMHO primarily recommendations for good caches and not rewards, I think it is fair to move an FP from anarchived one to an active one. If the CO is clearly inactive it can not be taken as offensive, and if you move an FP from an archived to an active by the same CO, that Co will most likely not mind. I know that I would prefer that; recommend my active ones, not the archived ones. Losing a point given to some other CO, that hurts a bit but if that cache is a good one, I better accept it.

I have at some time removed an FP from a CO because that CO was openly not interested in FPs, but I think that was wrong; The recommendation is just as valid whatever the CO thinks.

So I say it is perfectly OK, but I would just primarly do it to inactive COs or move to another cache by the same CO. Then I stay safe from being percieved as being rude.

• Upvote 2

It's YOUR favorite point to give to whatever cache you think deserves a favorite point.  If you believe your FP on an archived cache isn't serving some sort of purpose that you desire it to serve, then use it elsewhere to meet whatever purpose it is that you think it serves.

• Upvote 2

They can be personal records, bookmarks, rewards, recommendations to others - it's all up to you do with as you please. Some people are more uptight than others about what they think they should mean and may bug you if you don't do it their way.  Ah geocaching :ph34r::lol:

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Enjayen said:

10 hours ago, Enjayen said:

Some people seem to take geocaching a bit more seriously than others. I tend to stay relaxed about it.

While that means I don't get offended by something(especially so trivial) like this, it also means I tend to annoy other people a bit more.

No, you're not a jerk for that.  Your choice in text maybe...   :D

The site says that Favorite Points are "a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most"

When FPs first came out in 12/2010, the first thing we did was award all past caches we "enjoyed the most".  Simple.  :)

By then many were already archived, but they were our favorites.  Today, they're still our favorites, so we keep those FPs there.   

We know some who remove a FP if the cache shows signs of wear/neglect, maybe years later. 

We don't, as we base our FP on  when we were there.   Some say Elvis just wasn't the same in Vegas too...

If that cache now doesn't mean anything to you, it's acceptable to remove the FP  to use elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
22 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

No, you're not a jerk for that.  Your choice in text maybe...   :D

I created a dark mode script that runs on all sites... I use the computer for work sometimes several hours a day and am already a bit sensitive to bright screens as it is, so apologies to all for that ?

59 minutes ago, Enjayen said:

I created a dark mode script that runs on all sites... I use the computer for work sometimes several hours a day and am already a bit sensitive to bright screens as it is, so apologies to all for that ?

.I run a colorizing extenstion in my browser, too.  I don't remove Favorite Points.  My selection is not conditional.  That is, I don't return to to each cache to ensure the cache is still exactly as cool as when I found it.  So when it's archived, the FP remains because that's why I placed a FP... I loved the cache.  I think a lot of cachers also do this, because my high Favorite caches remain that way even after I archive them.  Maybe other people will see which caches are preferred, but that only happens if the FPs remain.  Anyway, as said, some people move the FPs around, and there's no particular rule about that.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

They can be personal records, bookmarks, rewards, recommendations to others - it's all up to you do with as you please. Some people are more uptight than others about what they think they should mean and may bug you if you don't do it their way.  Ah geocaching :ph34r::lol:

If I let them mean whatever I feel like without thinking about what they mean for others, that is just inconsiderate.

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

.I run a colorizing extenstion in my browser, too.  I don't remove Favorite Points.  My selection is not conditional.  That is, I don't return to to each cache to ensure the cache is still exactly as cool as when I found it.  So when it's archived, the FP remains because that's why I placed a FP... I loved the cache.  I think a lot of cachers also do this, because my high Favorite caches remain that way even after I archive them.  Maybe other people will see which caches are preferred, but that only happens if the FPs remain.  Anyway, as said, some people move the FPs around, and there's no particular rule about that.

My eyes...

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1

Currently I have way more than enough FPs to give, so running low on them is not an issue for me. Back before 2012, I ran out of them frequently. But I felt it was more important to use the FP system as intended, as a tool to help others find good caches. So I removed them from archived caches. 

One way to alleviate the guilt is to start a public list. Here's mine, I call it "Archived Favourites". 

Now that I have a lot of FPs to give,  I leave them on archived caches but I will remove them from archived caches that ended up abandoned - generally, reviewer archived caches. I don't want my name on the list of people who rewarded an irresponsible cache owner.

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
8 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Currently I have way more than enough FPs to give, so running low on them is not an issue for me. Back before 2012, I ran out of them frequently. But I felt it was more important to use the FP system as intended, as a tool to help others find good caches. So I removed them from archived caches. 

One way to alleviate the guilt is to start a public list. Here's mine, I call it "Archived Favourites". 

Now that I have a lot of FPs to give,  I leave them on archived caches but I will remove them from archived caches that ended up abandoned - generally, reviewer archived caches. I don't want my name on the list of people who rewarded an irresponsible cache owner.

Very helpful and great idea, thanks!

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, arisoft said:

It’s rude only if you do it to be rude. I'm not sure what your intentions are. Looks like you're trying to evoke emotion.

Good point, however I'm concerned somebody else(namely the CO of whom's cache I remove a FP from) might try to evoke emotion as well.

4 minutes ago, Enjayen said:

Good point, however I'm concerned somebody else(namely the CO of whom's cache I remove a FP from) might try to evoke emotion as well.

Well,  some people are real happy that someone thought enough about their hide that they FP it.   :)

We've received emails after we FP a cache, many also thanking us for the kind words after logs not so kind. 

Some aren't as thick-skinned as others.   Human nature, isn't it ?   ;)

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

If I let them mean whatever I feel like without thinking about what they mean for others, that is just inconsiderate.

1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

But I felt it was more important to use the FP system as intended, as a tool to help others find good caches.

I guess I'm inconsiderate and abusing the system, then, as I give FPs to the caches I enjoy, not ones that I think most other cachers will enjoy. Doing a search on the caches with the highest number of FPs in my region suggests most cachers prefer something within easy reach with either a novelty container or a scenic view. Those things are nice, of course, but the ones I really enjoy the most are those that have taken a lot of time and effort for me to complete and left me thinking oh wow, that was great! when I finally put my name in the logbook. Most other cachers probably wouldn't like those because they're too much work to get that +1 in their stats.

The Help Centre says simply Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most. I can't see anything in that about them having to be the caches that other people will enjoy the most.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

The Help Centre says simply Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most. I can't see anything in that about them having to be the caches that other people will enjoy the most.

When FPs were first included in the database, the help centre specifically said they were a recommendation tool to help others find great caches.  For years people asked Groundspeak to give us a system where we could find better caches. We wanted a way to separate the "wheat from the chaff", no one said, give me a way to create a list of caches I like. That was already available. Every PM can create a list of caches they enjoyed. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Helpful 3
2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I felt it was more important to use the FP system as intended, as a tool to help others find good caches

I award favourite points to caches that I enjoyed, for whatever reason. It might be something I enjoyed on the way to the cache, rather than the actual cache. Something I wouldn't have seen except the cache brought me here, so not actually the cache for example. For me, it's not a tool to help others find good caches. Personally, when caching, how many favourite points a cache has, I rarely check.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

When FPs were first included in the database, the help centre specifically said they were tools to help others find great caches.  For years people asked Groundspeak to give us a system where we could find better caches. We wanted a way to separate the "wheat from the chaff", no one said, give me a way to create a list of caches I like. That was already available. Every PM can create a list of caches they enjoyed. 

The trouble is one person's meat is another's poison. Someone with young children might prefer a cache close to a playground that can be found quickly before the kids get bored and with a container themed on a cartoon character with lots of toy dinosaurs inside (or whatever the current craze for toddlers is). They'd likely be horrified by something like GC6MT5R which is right up there with my most memorable finds. My favourites list is probably equivalent to a lot of other cachers' ignore lists and vice versa.

• Funny 2
39 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Personally, when caching, how many favourite points a cache has, I rarely check.

For me, it depends.  If I'm around home I don't pay much attention.  When we're travelling in the trailer to far parts of the States, I generally* only download caches with a min of FP's (depending on the state and how many caches there are - in Florida the min is 40-50, while in Alabama it's 5-10).  That way I have a smaller list to work from, instead of, say, 30,000 in Washington.  And when you are passing thru 20+ states in a trip you want to limit the time selecting caches and spend it doing things (sightseeing, caching, etc.).  And being that our route is never set in stone, I want a chance to find caches whatever road we travel.  If we are staying in an area for awhile, I'll see about downloading more in that area.

I know a high FP count is no guarantee of a cache I'll love, but rarely have I been disappointed.

*Virtual, Wherigo & Challenges I qualify for are all loaded.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

When FPs were first included in the database, the help centre specifically said they were a recommendation tool to help others find great caches.  For years people asked Groundspeak to give us a system where we could find better caches. We wanted a way to separate the "wheat from the chaff", no one said, give me a way to create a list of caches I like. That was already available. Every PM can create a list of caches they enjoyed. 

That's weird, that's not what we read.  You saw something temporary maybe ?

In the site update, introducing FPs  on 12/21/2010, it said in the very-first sentence, "  Geocaching Favorites is a simple way to track and share the caches that you enjoyed the most."

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, The Jester said:

I know a high FP count is no guarantee of a cache I'll love, but rarely have I been disappointed.

I had quite the opposite experience during last year's Cache Carnival promotion when I spent a couple of days around Sydney Harbour trying to nab as many of the 50+ FP caches as I could. Some were P&G micros with a water view and hordes of muggles, some were old virtuals (stand here where you can see the harbour bridge, the opera house or whatever and take a photo of yourself) and some were ECs that left me scratching my head as my meagre knowledge of geology was insufficient to even understand half the questions let alone answer them. None of them got an FP from me and I was left wondering whether those two days were really worth the effort.

Given my taste in caches, about the only FPs I pay any attention to are those given by people I know and even then I sometimes wonder what they saw in the cache. I'm sure they think the same thing about my FPs and I would really hope anyone using my FPs as a guide does their homework before attempting some of those caches.

Edited by barefootjeff
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

I never take off FPs again as they are part of my caching history. I sometimes look through the list and think: wow yes, that one was great! Or: why the heck did I do that? But I'm also very economical with my FPs. I currently have 108 spare ones and really only use them for the best of the best. Bit unusual, but I did spend two last weekend.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

This makes no sense.  FPs are used in so many different ways for so many different reasons that if you're concerned about what they mean for others, it means you probably shouldn't use them at all as there's no way you can use your FP in a manner that means the same for everyone else.  You're basically saying that someone who gives a FP for a FTF (it certainly happens) or gives a FP to the cache because they know the CO (this happens as well) should factor into your decision to award a FP the same way someone who gives a FP for an amazing location or a FP for a rewarding caching experience from start to end.  How will you ever be able to meet the expectation for every reason a FP is awarded?  You earned the FP and it's yours to give as you deem warranted.  Why should someone else's thoughts about what they believe a FP means factor into your decision to award your FP to a cache?

15 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

But I felt it was more important to use the FP system as intended, as a tool to help others find good caches.

Cerberus provided the appropriate link to rebut this.  Some cachers did (and still do) use it that way but that was never the overriding intent.  It was only an addition that allowed cachers to add FPs to caches for whatever reason they felt like awarding one.  I've added them for a cool creative container, the amazing location, the total experience from start to finish, for a cache placed in remembrance of a caching friend, for the opportunity to talk to an Amish gentleman in a cemetery and learn the history of the church and the community, and for other reasons.  I guarantee that many cachers wouldn't have found the cache where I was talking to the Amish man a "good" cache.  It was just a micro container along a fence line in a cemetery. The experience I had was what made that cache FP worthy.

If  I were ever over in @barefootjeff's neck of the woods, you can bet I'd look at the caches he's given FPs to because we appear to have similar tastes in cache experiences.  I do use FPs to help filter caches when going to a new area for a family vacation.  Caches that I ordinarily might remove from my list stay on it due to the number of FPs it has accrued.  Sometimes the cache turns out to be worth it while other times it is a dud of a cache.  They will never guarantee a good/great experience since they're awarded for too many various reasons to be consistent.  However, the odds are usually a bit better than just some randomly filtered out caches with far less (or none) FPs.

After Favorite Points came out, I looked back at my past finds and gave points to my favorites (I had only been caching a few years and I think I had made a bookmark list of my Favorites, which was a somewhat common practice pre-FPs).

About a year later I ran out. I looked at my FPs list and saw some that were archived and/or on further reflection no as special. I removed about a dozen.

Since then I've occasionally run low, but never run out. If I did, I would remove some from archived caches, especially those that were short-lived.

But if you're running out of FPs you probably need to reevaluate your personal criteria for awarding them.

• Helpful 1
14 hours ago, The Jester said:

For me, it depends.  If I'm around home I don't pay much attention.  When we're travelling in the trailer to far parts of the States, I generally* only download caches with a min of FP's (depending on the state and how many caches there are - in Florida the min is 40-50, while in Alabama it's 5-10).  That way I have a smaller list to work from, instead of, say, 30,000 in Washington.  And when you are passing thru 20+ states in a trip you want to limit the time selecting caches and spend it doing things (sightseeing, caching, etc.).  And being that our route is never set in stone, I want a chance to find caches whatever road we travel.  If we are staying in an area for awhile, I'll see about downloading more in that area.

*Virtual, Wherigo & Challenges I qualify for are all loaded.

The few times I check for favourite points, that would only be it there are many caches. In some places there are not enough caches to bother with checking favourite points. In those places I find whatever (if there are any caches) is there. If I am travelling and there happens to be many caches, I am more likely to check cache size and only find small size caches and bigger, and ignore the micro caches.

23 hours ago, kunarion said:

Have some mercy on your colorblind friends! I can't read anything you wrote! :lol:

• Funny 2

I leave FP on archived caches. They don't all of a sudden become less favorite just because they are archived. 

Plus, I view it as unfair to the CO: They have this great cache, racks up a lot of favorite points, but something happens and they have to archive it. This could have been the most favorited cache around. People might have traveled for miles just to do this cache.  And all of a sudden all the favorite points are removed, only because it was archived. This once loved cache now has as many points as an LPC.  (story exaggerated for illustration purpose)

Favorite Points are a badge of honor to some cache owners.

But, this is just my view of things.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

That's weird, that's not what we read.  You saw something temporary maybe ?

In the site update, introducing FPs  on 12/21/2010, it said in the very-first sentence, "  Geocaching Favorites is a simple way to track and share the caches that you enjoyed the most."

Here's the help page from 2012. I've highlighted parts in red that are relevant to the FP tool being a community tool:

1.6. Favorites

[Updated August 2012]

Geocaching Favorites is a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most. For every 10 geocaches that you have found, you will be able to Favorite 1 exceptional geocache in your find history. The Favorites accumulated by a geocache are displayed in search results and on the geocache page so everyone can see which caches stand above the rest.

What does it mean when people say a geocache is a Favorite geocache?

A Favorite can mean many different things. It could mean that the location is interesting or unusual in some way, or that the hiding place or geocache container itself reflects the creativity of the geocache owner. The one thing you can say for certain is that the overall quality of the geocache is likely to be above average.

Who can earn Favorite Points?

Only Premium Members earn Favorite Points. They get one point just for being a Premium Member, then further points by logging geocaching finds, at the rate of 1 Favorite Point per 10 finds.

Can Favorite Points be spent on any geocache?

Not exactly. You need to find a geocache in person and log your find on the website before awarding a Favorite to that geocache. To award a Favorite point, go to a geocache listing that you have logged as found; on the right side you'll be able to click "Add to your Favorites". We want geocachers to trust Favorites, and who better to gauge the quality of a geocache than someone who personally found it, and returned to tell the tale?

If I purchase a Premium Membership later, will I be awarded Favorite Points for the geocaches I found when I was a Basic Member?

Yes - for first-time subscriptions! If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly. From there you can visit the geocache pages you found while still a Basic Member and "spend" the Favorite Points on the best ones. However, if your subscription lapses for any reason, you will not be granted Favorite Points until you renew your Premium Membership. At which time the Favorite Points will start accruing again. You are only prorated Favorite Points the first time you subscribe.

My Favorite Points total doesn't seem to match my find count. Why?

Only the first "Found it!" log (or the equivalent "smiley" log for Webcam and Event Geocaches) that you post to the geocache page counts toward your total Favorite Points; duplicate finds are not calculated. Finds on geocaches that you own are also not included. The result is that your Favorite Points count may be slightly less than 10% of your total geocache finds.

I had a great time at a geocaching event recently. Can I Favorite the geocache?

Since the point of Favorites is to recommend great caching experiences to others, it doesn't really make sense to spend a Favorite point on an event which has already taken place. For this reason Event Geocaches do not accept the awarding of Favorite Points. Be sure to tell the event host how much you enjoyed the event in your geocache log.

Can I get the Favorite Point returned if a geocache is archived?

When a geocache is archived the Favorite Point remains with the geocache. Removing a Favorite Point from an archived geocache and awarding it to a new one is up to you. Visit your Favorites List and look for geocaches with the red strikethrough indicating that they are archived, and then remove the geocache from your Favorites List to free up the Favorite Point. There is nothing wrong with leaving a Favorite Point on an archived geocache if you prefer it.

How can I find geocaches near me with the most Favorites Points?

Do a search for geocaches the way you normally do, then click on the icon_fav.png icon at the top of the list. This will allow you to see the geocaches within your search that have the most Favorite Points at the top of the search results.

You can access your Favorites List by going to http://www.geocaching.com/my/favorites.aspx

To learn more about the features of your Geocaching Premium membership, go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/subscription.aspx.

• Helpful 1
57 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Here's the help page from 2012. I've highlighted parts in red that are relevant to the FP tool being a community tool:

Isn't that something....  Wonder why they changed it, then went back to what they said originally later ?      Huh...   :)

Edited by cerberus1
a y, though I do wonder why...
On 6/21/2020 at 11:31 PM, Enjayen said:

Not at all! I take them back because like you stated, I'm always low on favorite points and would rather give them to deserving active cache hides. I look through my list of finds now and then and if one is archived and I gave it a favorite point...I take it back. 

• Upvote 1
On 6/22/2020 at 5:31 AM, Enjayen said:

Am I being a jerk by removing FPs from archived caches?

Yes.

Okay, the word "jerk" might be a little hard but it's your word. If you favourite a cache because it is great leave that favourite point there. It says "I liked this cache very much" and it is a small sign of appreciation (is this the right word?) to the owner's work. So do not take it away. I would say it is not nice - perhaps that's the better formulation than being a jerk.

• Upvote 4

On a side note.  My experience with fav points is that around 100-200 caches, where you are now, I felt starved for favorite points.  I was finding all these cool caches that I liked and wanted to tag them as my favorites.  As time went on, 2 things happen.  1) You're finding more caches and gathering more favorite points to use.  2) Your personal standards go up for what you consider a favorite, or you may fine-tune the types of caches you like finding most.  Now, around 700 finds, I've got about 6 or 7 in reserve and I almost have to remind myself to give them out.  I think the problem goes away over time.  And if you take away a fav point from an archived cache, you can always go back and re-add it later once you get more.  

• Helpful 4
Just now, niraD said:
37 minutes ago, frostengel said:
On 6/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, Enjayen said:

Am I being a jerk by removing FPs from archived caches?

Yes.

No.

Maybe. (Oops... wrong thread.)

Seriously, it's up to you. Is it still a favorite? If so, then leave the point. If not, then take the point back.

It doesn't matter why it's no longer a favorite, why you take the point back. Maybe the cache went downhill. Maybe you found other caches that you like better. Maybe it was archived. Maybe you just changed your mind. It's all good. If it's no longer a favorite (for whatever reason), then take back the point.

• Upvote 3
36 minutes ago, niraD said:

Seriously, it's up to you.

Of course it is. You can do many things.

But do you delete your log after a cache has been archived? Logging a cache is useful in several ways:

- you keep track which caches you have found so you won't visit them again

- you can tell the owner what you think about his cache

- you can tell others about the cache

That's all useless after the cache has been archived. Why not make all logs deleted automatically as soon as the cache has been archived?

I know. It is about the point (it only is). Same works for favourite points it is all about the points. :-)

You don't have to leave a favourite forever and there are some reasons I agree with. If the owner lets the cache go down and doesn't take care that is one thing - but if he maintains it for some years and than sends it in the archive by himself (not by the reviewer) than I won't delete my log and I'll keep the favourite point there.

But again: do as you please but don't expect the owner to like or understand it.

Edited by frostengel
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

But if you're running out of FPs you probably need to reevaluate your personal criteria for awarding them.

1 hour ago, HoochDog said:

On a side note.  My experience with fav points is that around 100-200 caches, where you are now, I felt starved for favorite points.  I was finding all these cool caches that I liked and wanted to tag them as my favorites.  As time went on, 2 things happen.  1) You're finding more caches and gathering more favorite points to use.  2) Your personal standards go up for what you consider a favorite, or you may fine-tune the types of caches you like finding most.  Now, around 700 finds, I've got about 6 or 7 in reserve and I almost have to remind myself to give them out.  I think the problem goes away over time.  And if you take away a fav point from an archived cache, you can always go back and re-add it later once you get more.  

Pretty much the opposite has happened to me. In my first few years of caching there were plenty of what I call "bread and butter" caches in my region to find, nothing wrong with them but nothing particularly awesome about them either. But two things happened, I eventually found all the older ones and the number of new caches went from well over a hundred a year to just a trickle. So now nearly all my cache finds are targeted trips away to either Sydney or Newcastle, often triggered when I get a noticifcation of a new cache that takes my interest. A good example is the Earthcache I did recently at Redhead which has 11 waypoints spread along about 3km of rocky coastline. If it's interesting enough to lure me into a 70+km drive each way it's pretty likely I'm going to want to give it an FP once I've completed it and that EC most certainly deserved one.

Usually the targeted cache takes at least an hour to complete (that EC took three) and, with the long drive home still ahead of me, there's not a lot of time to sample other caches in the area especially if it's in an isolated spot with just a smattering of other caches spread over many kilometres. On my most recent trip to Newcastle, there were a bunch low D/T urban caches nearby so I thought I'd knock them off before heading home so I'd have another FP available for the targeted cache but over half ended up as DNFs.

So now I have to be super-selective in the caches I give FPs to; there are ones that, in more prolific times, would have undoubtedly received an FP from me but now the best I can do is put them on my growing list of FP-worthy caches in the hope that maybe a trail of new bread-and-butter caches will magically appear near home.

• Upvote 1

Favorite points are entirely within the discretion of the cachers who opt to leave them.

I have to archive caches all the time, since we move from place to place.  I just had to archive a series that accumulated many favorite points.  Presumably, when people notice, I will start losing FPs.  Such is life.

Favorite points are awarded every 10 finds.  I don't automatically consider every 10th cache I find to be my favorite.  Some days, if I find several cool caches, I'll award a favorite point to every cool cache I find.  Other days, I could find 20 or 30 caches but have none of them really stand out as being special, so no FP. 

As of today, we have awarded 598 FPs, so not quite 6% of our finds made our favorites list.  I consider the caches we picked to be our favorites whether they're active or not, so I've not gone back to remove FPs from archived caches. 

All this is my approach, and not what I expect from other cachers.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

Don't you ever consider letting someone adopt your better / more popular caches when you move?

This thread prompted me to look at my favourites - I need to give a FP to caches beginning with 0,7,9 and X for the sake of 0-9 A-Z completism. 

Many of my 660 favourites have been archived. I took one FP back as although a clever hide it was archived through neglect by a CO notorious for poor maintenance...

• Upvote 1