Few years late, but new to Etrex 30x

My old Oregon 450 is on it's very last bit of leg. No problem. It's 9 years old. I bought a second-hand Etrex 30x today and wonder if there are any files in the root of Garmin that I can throw away.  I suppose gmapbmap.img is the basemap. What is gmapprom.img? It's a huge file, and with this the GPS seems nearly full.
Is there something else I should know? I've not for example found the satellite fix screen yet. I know it doesn't have a Wherigo player. That's fine as I can use my phone for that.
Thanks.

4 minutes ago, terratin said:

My old Oregon 450 is on it's very last bit of leg. No problem. It's 9 years old. I bought a second-hand Etrex 30x today and wonder if there are any files in the root of Garmin that I can throw away.  I suppose gmapbmap.img is the basemap. What is gmapprom.img? It's a huge file, and with this the GPS seems nearly full.
Is there something else I should know? I've not for example found the satellite fix screen yet. I know it doesn't have a Wherigo player. That's fine as I can use my phone for that.
Thanks.

These should be of help:

https://www.gpsrchive.com/eTrex/eTrex x0x/Function eTrex 30x.html

https://www.gpsrchive.com/eTrex/eTrex x0x/Files & Folders.html

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
2 minutes ago, Tahoe Skier5000 said:

Thanks a lot. The file directory is very useful. I see that

gmapbmap.img | Basemap included with your GPSr
gmapprom1.img | Primary Garmin map installed to your GPSr

So I guess the gmapprom is Topoactive Europe V3, which I can see when the GPS is switched on. I feel tempted to take it off and move it to my backup files. 

Ok, most important things are set up. I'm certainly impressed how quick I get a satellite fix.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

The files on the eTrex 30x are very similar to the files on the Oregon 450.

Oh yeah, I did buy the Oregon in Canada and I'm in Europe, thus probably removed the map the GPS came with. Really can't remember to be honest as it's so long ago. Thus wasn't sure what gpsmapprom1 is - and it's huge and takes up most of the file space. I've taken it off now and will use OSM maps for countries/regions as before.

I've been using an Etrex 20x for a few years and never had a capacity problem. I don't use the Basemap, only Garmin maps on SD cards (UK, N. America, Australia and New Zealand). When I toured Mexico a few years ago I had all caches in Mexico, 2000-3000 from memory, loaded on it without problem.

18 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

It's a good idea to put caches on the SD card anyway in case you run into database indexing problems in the field. You can just pop out the card and "reset" the database without the need to connect to a computer.

Yep. Certainly. There even was a small SD card in the GPS, thus I'm all set. Now I just need good weather to go out

15 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

There is no bad weather, only unsuitable clothing. Go out and geocache. :-)

Nah, I'm not that desperate. One evening wading through ankle-deep water in a proper downpour because I wanted to find this one cache I'd dnf'ed previously was enough to be honest.