Alternative To A Padlock

FootyFan123

Hi all,

I've got an idea for a field puzzle which will probably get placed this weekend. It will require the cachers to solve a field puzzle which will then give them numbers. I am currently using this for a multi cache, but they're like poison in my area. I could use a padlock, but they're a bit too expensive, does anyone have any ideas for an alternative?

A combination bike lock?  Lots of extra cable though.

A keyed lock with the key at the coordinates you solve for?  Would mean a second set of coordinates for the final.

You could always use a container inside a container to help keep the lock (whatever you end up using) from being overly exposed to the elements and lasting longer outdoors.

Whatever you end up choosing, if it's exposed to the elements, you'll need to make sure it's rated for outdoor use.

12 hours ago, FootyFan123 said:

I've got an idea for a field puzzle which will probably get placed this weekend.

It will require the cachers to solve a field puzzle which will then give them numbers.

I am currently using this for a multi cache, but they're like poison in my area.

I could use a padlock, but they're a bit too expensive, does anyone have any ideas for an alternative?

You know how many padlocks we've seen busted ?  :)    It's all about the smiley, and if that lock's in the way or won't open...

The last was this past fall,  I was only 3rd to find it, and the lock wouldn't function anymore.   The lock wasn't made for outdoors.

If you feel you have to put a lock or something on it, invest in your idea.

Thinking maybe one of those puzzle boxes where you manipulate sides etc in a particular order to open. It would be its own lock.but would also be exposed to weather. Unless it is plastic.

I just realized I may have in front if me something that may work, It is a gift card presentation box with a puzzle box to figure out to get to the card. It is a maze with a small BB size pellet that once in the proper spot allows the cover to be removed and get the card. You could put a log in there in place of the gift card. The puzzle itself should be in another contained to keep it protected and from walking off. I am not sure where I obtained it, probably Hobby Lobby. 

I got two to use for caches but keep forgetting I have them!

Just now, TmdAndGG said:

I would think it would cost as much as a padlock to make one of those... Not to mention lots of dedication and tools!

Yep, the time it'd take to make or purchase a cryptex and ...

On 6/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, FootyFan123 said:

I've got an idea for a field puzzle which will probably get placed this weekend.

doesn't help.   :D

We've seen a lot of plastic parts broken.  People are in a hurry you know ...       

Another mentioned the plastic "gift card" puzzles, and we've seen a few of those busted as well. 

Depends on the plastic maybe, most we found broken were styrene.

Replacements for broken parts compared to one good, sturdy lock doesn't make sense to me.    :)

On 6/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, FootyFan123 said:

Hi all,

I've got an idea for a field puzzle which will probably get placed this weekend. It will require the cachers to solve a field puzzle which will then give them numbers. I am currently using this for a multi cache, but they're like poison in my area. I could use a padlock, but they're a bit too expensive, does anyone have any ideas for an alternative?

If they solve for numbers, that could be a distance and bearing to the Final.  Or fill in the blanks for coordinates for the Final.  A lock or whatever with moving parts tends to need replacement.

5 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

I would think it would cost as much as a padlock to make one of those... Not to mention lots of dedication and tools!

Maybe they should just stick to hiding a film pot in a lamp post then.  

Frankly, I would much rather find a cache made with dedication and tools than something bought off the shelf.   

• Upvote 1

Having made and placed a cryptex (PVC), the time is the biggest factor.  The cost wasn't actually too bad once you bought all the materials needed.  However, the weekend mention renders this suggestion as a no go.

The "easiest" solution is a container within a container but that outer container better be really good.  I adopted a cache that has 3 padlocks keeping a container closed but it was placed in an ammo can.  If it were in another plastic container, I'm guessing that the locks would need to be replaced regularly.