Maximum number of characters

elyob

Creating my first Lab, during first test, one cannot read later portions of description (for lab and for 1 location).  I used much fewer characters compared with the visible counter.  The real life limit seems random.  What is the true number of allowable characters in the description?

Greetings @elyob. Thank you for your patience in creating an Adventure during this experimental phase of the Adventure Lab platform. When you are logged into the Adventure Lab builder, you will see the character limits of each field in the lower right-hand corner of the field's box (example: Location description, 1,024). I hope this helps!

11 hours ago, ktaylor211 said:

Greetings @elyob. Thank you for your patience in creating an Adventure during this experimental phase of the Adventure Lab platform. When you are logged into the Adventure Lab builder, you will see the character limits of each field in the lower right-hand corner of the field's box (example: Location description, 1,024). I hope this helps!

Thank you.  Yes, I have been using the character limits of each field in the lower right-hand corner of the field's box.  However, the number of characters visible to users of my Adventure Lab is much less than the aforementioned character limits.  I cannot trust that limit.  Do I count the number of actual characters visible to the users of my Adventure Lab, use that limit, ignoring the limit you describe?

Edited by elyob
On 6/25/2020 at 5:41 AM, elyob said:

Thank you.  Yes, I have been using the character limits of each field in the lower right-hand corner of the field's box.  However, the number of characters visible to users of my Adventure Lab is much less than the aforementioned character limits.  I cannot trust that limit.  Do I count the number of actual characters visible to the users of my Adventure Lab, use that limit, ignoring the limit you describe?

Elyob, do your users know / understand that the text is scrollable?

Or do you mean that text is sometimes not shown on the "congratulations" pages with the answers? I found out this weekend that indeed sometimes the whole text is not shown in these pages if the photo above the text is too high . . .

For some strange reason, cablevision went straight to my Adventure Lab location in the middle of the forest, not bothering to do the other AL locations en route.  Once there, cablevision simply tried all the words for colour until cablevision got the correct one.  Perhaps cablevision is someone special, someone who can enter this province without undertaking the mandatory 14-day quarantine.  Five days ago, cablevision completed a Wherigo cache in a different jurisdiction.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, elyob said:

What's the point?  Why did I go through all the effort to create and publish the Adventure Lab, just to witness the very first find credit going to someone who is hundreds of miles away?

On 7/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, elyob said:

For some strange reason, cablevision went straight to my Adventure Lab location in the middle of the forest, not bothering to do the other AL locations en route.  Once there, cablevision simply tried all the words for colour until cablevision got the correct one.  Perhaps cablevision is someone special, someone who can enter this province without undertaking the mandatory 14-day quarantine.  Five days ago, cablevision completed a Wherigo cache in a different jurisdiction.

They’re probably using what’s called “location spoofing”, which makes them appear as if they’re someplace where they aren’t. In other words, they’re at home but they’ve tricked the app into thinking that they’re near GZ - then they just guessed the find code. This is specifically against the Adventure Lab rules, so you might be able to get something done if you contact HQ’s support team (recently they’ve changed some things so I’m not sure if this is still possible - it’s worth asking, though.)

This is why the Adventure Lab Builder Guide recommends you select find codes that aren’t easily guessable/google-able. 

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Hügh said:

They’re probably using what’s called “location spoofing”, which makes them appear as if they’re someplace where they aren’t. In other words, they’re at home but they’ve tricked the app into thinking that they’re near GZ - then they just guessed the find code. This is specifically against the Adventure Lab rules, so you might be able to get something done if you contact HQ’s support team (recently they’ve changed some things so I’m not sure if this is still possible - it’s worth asking, though.)

This is why the Adventure Lab Builder Guide recommends you select find codes that aren’t easily guessable/google-able. 

Would be nice if Groundspeak allows Lab cache owners to be able to delete those bogus logs. Why we can't?

Also with the limited info available now to LCO about who logs them those cheaters can easily go under the radar if they wait a bit after publication...

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Even if they live on the other side of the planet or find them all at light speed?

I agree with the second part, that you can prove that they weren't there if they go find every single AL in a short time, but just because you live on the other side of the planet doesn't mean you can't travel. 

17 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

I agree with the second part, that you can prove that they weren't there if they go find every single AL in a short time, but just because you live on the other side of the planet doesn't mean you can't travel. 

Depending upon where you start and where you would go, even that isn't necessarily true these days.  I'm beginning to doubt that they're going to have me in Barcelona at the end of October.

31 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Depending upon where you start and where you would go, even that isn't necessarily true these days.  I'm beginning to doubt that they're going to have me in Barcelona at the end of October.

Okay, fine... I'm just trying to say there's no way to verify that they've been there like a logbook in regular caches, but apparently you guys know for sure whether or not someone has been there...:P

Edited by TmdAndGG
57 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

apparently you guys know for sure whether or not someone has been there

On 7/2/2020 at 8:43 PM, elyob said:

Perhaps cablevision is someone special, someone who can enter this province without undertaking the mandatory 14-day quarantine.  Five days ago, cablevision completed a Wherigo cache in a different jurisdiction.

In this particular case... I'd be pretty sure as well.

42 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Perhaps 'cablevision' is a field tech whose job is on the 'essential' list?  Just sayin... there are exceptions.

Whether you choose to play the devil's advocate or not (or you actually believe that cablevision found these the Lab 'legit'), you do have to admit that the evidence of couch-logging is a lot more compelling - is it not strange that cablevision travelled five hundred kilometers from Québec City to Gatineau, only to skip four Adventure Lab locations and only complete one? That's a 1000-km drive only to grab one smiley.

I'm not saying that we're sure, but we're definitely suspicious. 

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TmdAndGG said:

But what if the goal of cablevision's trip was something other that geocaching and the new AdLab was just a bonus? 

But why did cablevision ignore the two other locations within that Adventure Lab that cablevision walked passed on the way in from the parking lot?

Edited by elyob
2 hours ago, elyob said:

But why did cablevision ignore the two other locations within that Adventure Lab that cablevision walked passed on the way in from the parking lot?

Not sure. But if cablevision was location-spoofing, then the same question still poses.

15 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Why are you defending him so much? He clearly location-spoofing the easy to answer one and wasn't able to find the answers from its couch for the others.

I'm not trying to defend cablevision, I'm trying to defend the fact that it's hard to prove whether or not someone was at the location without a photo or logbook.

Edited by TmdAndGG
  • Upvote 1