Etrex 10, how to load a geocache

ground control 1

26 minutes ago, ground control 1 said:

I have purchased an etrex 10 and would like to know how to load geocaches to it singly. I am not a paid member. Is there an easy way using a laptop? I'm stumped and don't really want to download the whole Garmin maps programme which will take hours and will overload my computer. Thanks for any advice.

You can't load Garmin maps to an Etrex 10 (insufficient memory and no SD card), you're stuck with the Basemap. My first GPS was an Etrex 10 and right from the start I loaded it using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife available now for free). I also paid up for Premium Membership from the start so that I could load pocket Queries to GSAK. Storage on  my Etrex 10 was limited to about 300 caches downloaded from GSAK, it included not only waypoints but cache description, last five logs, hints, attributes etc., which was enough for me starting out. I eventually upgraded to an Etrex 20 for the SD loaded maps for use when overseas. As for loading a single cache I can't help since that feature is no longer available but others here will know how it can be done.

• Surprised 1

I have an Etrex 10 and use windows 8. I'm a paid member and can't remember if this method is available to you but it suits me for loading a few caches at a time. 

On the cache page there is "Download GPX". This puts the info into my "Download" folder on my laptop.

Once I have all the caches I want in this folder I plug in my etrex.

My laptop's file manager shows Garmin and then within that there's a folder GPX.

I drag and drop from Download to GPX. Once everything has downloaded I disconnect the etrex. Then I check that it has loaded correctly and go off caching. 

There are other ways too and I'm sure somebody else will post methods.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, ground control 1 said:

I have purchased an etrex 10 and would like to know how to load geochches to it singly.

Loading single caches sure is available.  I have an ancient etrex blue legend that handles that basic function.  :)

Using the thumbstick, you should be able to load caches manually.

No manual ?  Marking a waypoint should be easy enough...  

IIRC, manually entering coordinates on most etrex models hasn't changed much.  See if this works...

Press and hold the thumbstick in to mark a waypoint at your current location.

Select the Location field.

Use the on-screen arrows to scroll through and change the coordinates to what you need from the cache page

Press Done when finished .