Gadget Caches in Forest Preserves

Hi, i've been working on a gadget cache for a while and am wondering if we are allowed to put out these 'birdhouses' in the forest preserves. If geocache containers can be placed, can't gadget caches be placed as well w/o permission from the district? I've found a few gadget caches very DEEP in a forest, and nailed to a tree. They were camouflaged, and i'm pretty sure the CO's didn't ask for permission to place the cache. Is it ok to do this, or is it bestto ask for permission from the district?

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=22&pgid=718

[ I've highlighted the sections below: ]

1.6. Environmentally friendly geocaching

These tips will help you protect the environment while geocaching in the great outdoors! To learn more about our environmental initiative, check out Cache In Trash Out®.

Tips for cache owners

Get permission from land managers

Check nearby geocaches and calculate the number of logs per month. This helps managers decide if additional visitors are sustainable for the environment.

Create a comprehensive cache page

Choose appropriate ratings for difficulty and terrain, and include a good hint. This helps prevent geocachers from leaving unnecessary “geotrails." Mention local regulations and seasonal policies.

Choose an appropriate sized container

Searching for a small container in the forest is often fruitless and leads to disturbing wildlife.

Don’t put food or scented items in your cache

Items like chewing gum, candles, air fresheners, and the like can attract animals that may chew the container and get sick.

Place your cache near an existing trail

Add a waypoint for the trailhead so people won’t have to bushwhack.

Hide your cache without harming wildlife

No chopping, cutting, digging, or burrowing. Don’t use permanent fasteners to attach your cache to trees or shrubs.

Work with your reviewer

Give your reviewer detailed information about the location and placement of your cache. They’ll let you know if your cache poses problems for wildlife.

Don’t leave cache trash

Make sure to remove your cache container from its hiding spot when

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, FelixK321 said:

Hi, i've been working on a gadget cache for a while and am wondering if we are allowed to put out these 'birdhouses' in the forest preserves.

If geocache containers can be placed, can't gadget caches be placed as well w/o permission from the district?

I've found a few gadget caches very DEEP in a forest, and nailed to a tree.

They were camouflaged, and i'm pretty sure the CO's didn't ask for permission to place the cache. Is it ok to do this, or is it bestto ask for permission from the district?

If the area has a placement policy, it'd probably be found in the  Regional Geocaching Policies wiki for Illinois.     :)

- See the virus notice on placements in your state too.

Whether someone else asked for permission (or not) doesn't really matter.

We lost an entire park after people placed caches after us, thinking the park was now "fair game"...

On 6/16/2020 at 5:00 AM, terratin said:

What the others said. Also consider if a birdhouse is really a good hide. The average noob might come by, and think every birdhouse is a cache.

I've made that mistake. When my gps took me to a birdhouse. No description or hint to help me pin-point where the cache could actually be. I have checked a birdhouse only to find out it was actually a birdhouse. Thankfully I didn't disturb a nest. Never did find the cache. 

Edited by L0ne.R