Pocket Query - Basic How To (sorry)

dbrents

The results of my pocket queries is a .zip file.  I download this file to the HDD on my PC.  When unpacked, the zip file contains two files with identical names except one has -wpts on the end. The size of the -wpts is much smaller than the other file.  Both files are of the  GPX file type.  In the past, to get these records on my Garmin, I have simply copy and pasted the non '-wpts' file to the GPX directory in my Garmin's directory structure. I have pretty much ignored the -wpts file altogether. It seems to have worked but I have had some odd things occur like missing records. So I now asking what is the best way to get the results of a PQ on to my Garmin?   Thanks.

3 hours ago, dbrents said:

The results of my pocket queries is a .zip file.  I download this file to the HDD on my PC.  When unpacked, the zip file contains two files with identical names except one has -wpts on the end. The size of the -wpts is much smaller than the other file.  Both files are of the  GPX file type.  In the past, to get these records on my Garmin, I have simply copy and pasted the non '-wpts' file to the GPX directory in my Garmin's directory structure. I have pretty much ignored the -wpts file altogether. It seems to have worked but I have had some odd things occur like missing records. So I now asking what is the best way to get the results of a PQ on to my Garmin?   Thanks.

You have been doing it exactly the way I always do.   I have never had a problem of missing records  (that I know of .)  I have very rarely seen a use for the wpts file. 

9 hours ago, NanCycle said:

You have been doing it exactly the way I always do.   I have never had a problem of missing records  (that I know of .)  I have very rarely seen a use for the wpts file. 

That's because you have done so few multi's. For traditionals, virtuals, (most) earthcaches you won't need the extra wps as you can easily find a parkingspot if you need one most of the time. Even a multi can be done that way as long as the wps are found using tags or QTA.

However, if WPs are given you're stuck at WP1 ;)

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, on4bam said:

That's because you have done so few multi's. For traditionals, virtuals, (most) earthcaches you won't need the extra wps as you can easily find a parkingspot if you need one most of the time. Even a multi can be done that way as long as the wps are found using tags or QTA.

However, if WPs are given you're stuck at WP1 ;)

Hmm, thanks for the educational info. Maybe I'll have to take another look at it.  I'm old, but not too old to learn new tricks.

5 hours ago, NanCycle said:

I'm old, but not too old to learn new tricks.

One thing to add - not to your age but to the age of the gps device: there is (usually) a limit of geocaches and waypoints that the devices can handle. It is smaller for older devices.

If a big pocket query (many caches) contains many multi caches with given waypoints and/or if you have several pocket queries on the device you might reach the end of the waypoints Your device will probably tell you as soon as you want to create a new waypoint (my German language gps tells me "Wegpunktspeicher voll" meaning "waypoint storage full"). You can easily delete some unwanted waypoints to create new ones (we always delete some parking waypoints) if you'll need it. But in this case some waypoints might be missing as the device just cuts off the waypoints that are too much - hopefully those are not waypoints for the multi you are actually doing.

Therefore I delete the old pocket queries before uploading another one. And if I enter a region with many multi caches I don't use the normal sized 999 caches per PQ (I like that better than 1000) as I won't need those anywhere. You can test at home if you've got all waypoints by adding a waypoint after uploading the waypoints gpx file.

As I like multi caches the most I never leave house without this part of the PQ. :-)

• Funny 1