Out of Placce Graves

A local cemetery has a Commonwealth War Graves section, with graves of British, American and Canadians that were killed or died in the area in WW11.

A small section has graves for Germans (Were not our Allies, and not part of the Commonwealth)... Would they be considered 'Out of Place'?

*The Commonwealth War Graves Commission is an intergovernmental organisation of six independent member states whose principal function is to mark, record and maintain the graves and places of commemoration of Commonwealth of Nations military service members who died in the two World Wars.

** Probably a hypothetical question, and not for discussion.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Graves in a cemetery, in my opinion, are NOT out of place. A cemetery is a place where bodies are buried.

Now, I have visited an Out of Place Grave in Missouri. The guy was buried on the front lawn of the county court house. Now, that's out of place. In Edmond OK, there are graves of 2 railroad workers who died and are buried along the train tracks. Out of Place (not in a cemetery).

I guess I'll have to go check out exactly what the category description says.

• Upvote 1

We found lots of graves in the middle of nowhere.  Most bushwhacking to another spot. 

We found two graves on park service property once, that the rangers weren't even aware of.

Some areas still show signs of a cabin, others exposed as large areas are opened/made into parks.   Now they're out of place.   

We have cemeteries with native americans and union soldiers together.  It's a cemetery.  They aren't "out of place" at all. 

32 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I got  "This category is for those Graves that just don't belong where they are found.

For instance it could be a Confederate General buried in the North or it could be a single grave in the middle of a residential neighborhood, they just don't belong there.", and "Out of Place Graves is a waymark dedicated to those Graves that just don't belong here. These generally will not be found in graveyards."

IIRC, burying confederate and union soldiers together was considered part of the healing process, since they were all Americans.  

Most our older cemeteries have them buried together,  with some families having relatives on both sides.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I got  "This category is for those Graves that just don't belong where they are found.

For instance it could be a Confederate General buried in the North or it could be a single grave in the middle of a residential neighborhood, they just don't belong there.", and "Out of Place Graves is a waymark dedicated to those Graves that just don't belong here. These generally will not be found in graveyards."

IIRC, burying confederate and union soldiers together was considered part of the healing process, since they were all Americans.  

Most our older cemeteries have them buried together,  with some families having relatives on both sides.

Here in the Midwest, the mixing of Confederate and Union troops in a cemetery isn't that "out of place".  I can actually give you an example of of a Confederate veteran being buried next to a veteran of the United States Colored Troops (North) in the Fort Scott National Cemetery in Fort Scott, Kansas.  I'm not sure why that that part of the Confederate General is in the description - people, especially from the war-torn south often did move to where more opportunity lay.  Former Confederate Generals died all over the globe after the war because of that.  

This is one of those early categories before peer review.  The leader and at least half of the officer corps are inactive.  Interesting concept.

To continue with Bear and Ragged's query - in the Fort Leavenworth Prison Cemetery on base (yea, it is a hassle to get through the gates now - before 9/11 this was an open base that you just drove onto!) there are 14 German P.O.W.s that were hanged at the end of the war and then buried in this small, out of the way, cemetery on base.  Would these be considered "out of place" graves since they German P.O.W.s executed in 1945 after the war buried in a cemetery with men who committed various offences that their bodies were never claimed by next of kin?  

That statement about graveyards is actually true - technically speaking a graveyard is attached to a church and they usually have very strict requirements as to whom will be buried on their property.   

On 6/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, vulture1957 said:

Graves in a cemetery, in my opinion, are NOT out of place. A cemetery is a place where bodies are buried.

Now, I have visited an Out of Place Grave in Missouri. The guy was buried on the front lawn of the county court house. Now, that's out of place. In Edmond OK, there are graves of 2 railroad workers who died and are buried along the train tracks. Out of Place (not in a cemetery).

I'm wondering how a cemetery can be accepted in this category. Not a grave but the cemetery!