Western Canadian Heritage

It occurs to me that this is a long overdue subject, one I had considered but never got to until it was proposed to me by another Canadian Waymarker a short while ago. He had suggested to me that it would "sure be nice if we could Waymark heritage sites/properties in ALL the Provinces", to paraphrase. To date, all Provinces east of Manitoba are covered, but, in the west, only Saskatchewan has a heritage category. Our proposal here is to remedy the situation, not by creating yet more categories, but by expanding the Saskatchewan category to also encompass British Columbia, Alberta and Manitoba, as well as the Territories - Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Regulars here will recall that, several years ago, when the creation of three new categories to encompass the orphan Atlantic Canada Provinces of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador, was proposed, the general consensus was that the extant Nova Scotia category be expanded to become Atlantic Canada Heritage Properties, which is what was done.

It is proposed that the central tenet, or prerequisite, for submissions to the category be the site's inclusion in a recognized online Heritage Registry, such as The Canadian Register. As with other areas, municipalities, cities and Provinces have online registries, any of which may be cited in the absence of a listing in The Canadian Register. Admittedly, this will lead to cross-posting possibilities, which is unavoidable here.

While we accept Canadian National Historic Sites in the Atlantic Canada Heritage Properties category, we see no need to do the same here. However, we feel that Classified Federal Heritage Buildings, as listed on The Canadian Register, should be acceptable. A Classified Federal Heritage Building can be identified by the blue link "FHBRO Heritage Character Statement" under "LINKS AND DOCUMENTS", near the top of the site's registry page.

Further, since none of the Territories have, as yet, a Historical Markers category, it is proposed that those be included in the expanded category, rather than the creation of a new category. However, since Historical Markers are fundamentally different from Heritage Sites, we're not hesitant about creating a separate Historical Markers category for the Territories, should that turn out to be the prevailing opinion. Flexibility R Us. :)

So, over to you, fellow Waymarkers. What do you think?

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1
32 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Expanding a category with only 39 active waymarks I totally approve.

Did you talk with the officer of the Saskatchewan category if they are in favor?

Hi LH, good to "see" you.

Yep - we're working on a couple of the kinks right now.

"39 active waymarks" - Yeah, it was the same with Atlantic Canada - there were only 12 before we changed it; now there are 494 and counting, a piss-pot-full of which you've managed to get to. :)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
8 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Did you talked with the officer of the Saskatchewan category if they are in favor?

7 hours ago, elyob said:

I would feel much better about this proposal if additional reviewers were involved.

I'm currently the only active reviewer in the category and I am working with Scroogiell to determine if myself and the other officers need to make the category more broad. Please feel free to express your comments, concerns, or anything else you may want to say :)

I'm not sure that the Canadians allow residents of the Sunflower State anywhere near the border...
My feeling is that the prevailing sentiment is making it really tough to create new categories.  I, myself, would support this issue either way, although I like the expansion idea.  It might be enough to get me to invade the Great White North, again!  :)

• Funny 2
18 hours ago, bluesnote said:

I'm currently the only active reviewer in the category and I am working with Scroogiell to determine if myself and the other officers need to make the category more broad. Please feel free to express your comments, concerns, or anything else you may want to say :)

I read the original post from Keith, and it seems this suggestion is a perfect fit. It worked for the eastern provinces, it should work for the western ones, and would not entail a separate category for each province. As expressed earlier, when there is a separate category for each province, there are too few waymarks to make it worthwhile.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, elyob said:

I'm glad to see the new waymarks already.  The officer pool looks good.  If after research the property heritage registration is only at the municipal level, can it be approved as a waymark?

As long as you can verify its inclusion in a Heritage Register, it's GOOD. That proviso was included because, in most provinces, the Provincial registers (or Historic Places Canada) are easier to deal with, both for the submitter and the reviewer.

Keith

On 6/13/2020 at 3:02 PM, Lynx Humble said:

I took a look today to see if I could visit one and there are now 149 waymarks in the category in a bit more than a month good job.

No luck for the visitation yet I was very close to one when I did my Navy mission during our quick port visit at the Old Town Bakery in Ladysmith BC.