Log deleted.

Gill & Tony

I would consider it rude. But my understanding is that it's their trackable and their log, so they can do anything they want with it, including rude things like delete everyone's log. Maybe drop them a note offering to buy them a new trackable number the next time they need one so they can let logged sleeping TBs lie. I think this is a time to have an attitude of "I wish you hadn't done that," instead of "You are a jerk for having done that!" Just in case anyone's leaning towards the latter....

• Upvote 1

I'm moderately annoyed.  Not worth going to war about, but I sent a polite email about it.

It is the same trackable code, just a different thing.  The old one was ugly, the new one pretty. 

To me it is as if I decided that the pill bottle cache I had hidden was ugly and I decided to replace it with a pretty container .  Then deleted all the logs to start again.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:

One of my logs for a trackable was deleted because the owner has decided to reuse the trackable code for a new trackable.  They have deleted ALL logs, including their own.

Is this acceptable?

As in allowed ?    Yes.      Is it a nice thing to do ?    No.       We see this a lot when people sell their trackables (coins mostly) ..

One locally did that a few times.  Word gets out, and they heard about it at an event once.   

- They never realized some take that seriously,  and didn't understand the issue with "stats" I guess...

6 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

To me it is as if I decided that the pill bottle cache I had hidden was ugly and I decided to replace it with a pretty container . 

Then deleted all the logs to start again.

But unlike a cache, with a trackable, you don't have the benefit of asking HQ to "fix" it for you.    ;)

So, there is no appeal against trackable logs being deleted?  I couldn't see this in the guidelines but I guess it is there somewhere.

I still have both the TB code and the trackable code in my GSAK database, so I could just relog it.  I wonder which of us would get bored first? me logging or the owner deleting?  :ph34r:

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

One of my logs for a trackable was deleted because the owner has decided to reuse the trackable code for a new trackable.  They have deleted ALL logs, including their own.

Is this acceptable?

There have been a couple recent discussions where someone wanted to buy/sell a used TB. This is what happens!

3 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

So, there is no appeal against trackable logs being deleted?  I couldn't see this in the guidelines but I guess it is there somewhere.

I still have both the TB code and the trackable code in my GSAK database, so I could just relog it. 

I wonder which of us would get bored first? me logging or the owner deleting?  :ph34r:

Nope.

According to the  Help Center, on  Geocacher disagreements,     "We do not reinstate any logs regarding trackables . As trackables are considered private property, the trackable owner has the right to delete logs on their trackable details page as they see fit." 

I remember someone talking similar once,  then they realized harassment (terms of use...) may not be worth the "point".   :)

Edited by cerberus1
5 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I'm moderately annoyed.

I'm curious. Can you explain why you're annoyed? I think of it as sending someone a thank-you card, and then being annoyed when they threw it out after they read it. Was text in the log particularly important?

2 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I'm curious. Can you explain why you're annoyed? I think of it as sending someone a thank-you card, and then being annoyed when they threw it out after they read it. Was text in the log particularly important?

Discovering that trackable was part of my geocaching history.  Someone has taken it upon themselves to remove that part of the history,  without my consent.

If I send someone a thank you card and they throw it away that is their choice.  I have no problem with that.   However if I receive a thank you card and someone else throws it out without my consent I reserve the right to be moderately annoyed.

The owner showed me the trackable and I recorded the fact as a memento of the occasion.  That memento has been taken away.  I have a number of souvenir magnets stuck to my fridge.  They are memories of places I have visited.  They have little intrinsic value but if someone threw one out without consulting me I would be a bit miffed.

I still have the memories but a tangible reminder has gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Discovering that trackable was part of my geocaching history.  Someone has taken it upon themselves to remove that part of the history,  without my consent.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like that, but I had a hard time imagining it because the TB history is so tangential to the main geocaching history. I wouldn't notice and would have no idea that someone deleted my TB log if I didn't receive a notification about it. So it's hard for me to think of it as an important and integral part of my history. When I pick up or drop a TB, I mention it in the cache log, so, for me, that part of the history would still be there even if it was deleted from the TB log.

• Helpful 1

There are also challenge caches relying on trackable log activity and trackable types/icons (I don't recall if those are still allowed, but I wouldn't be surprised if not, for just this reason).

Another thing you can do - be sure to keep a record of the private code. Some apps may keep that info in their internal database too. If the log gets deleted and the Tb wiped, you could just re-post the discover log. But you risk getting into a tiff with the TB Owner if they keep deleting it :P