Question for a reviewer

A few days ago I submitted my Community Celebration event for publication and it is sitting quietly in the queue waiting for review.  No problems there.

However, there is a note on the cache page which reads

Your cache has been submitted for review.

To edit your cache, you will need to cancel your submission first.

My question is:  If I cancel the submission, make some changes and then resubmit the listing, will I lose my place in the queue?

I seem to remember that previous submissions (at least a year ago) allowed me to make edits while the cache was in the queue.  This means that the reviewer saw the edited version.  Under the current system, if the place is lost, there is no incentive to make changes while the cache is in the review queue so, assuming that the review is successful, the reviewer won't see my changes. 

This seems to me to be a retrograde step.

1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:

My question is:  If I cancel the submission, make some changes and then resubmit the listing, will I lose my place in the queue?

I seem to remember that previous submissions (at least a year ago) allowed me to make edits while the cache was in the queue.  This means that the reviewer saw the edited version.  Under the current system, if the place is lost, there is no incentive to make changes while the cache is in the review queue so, assuming that the review is successful, the reviewer won't see my changes. 

This seems to me to be a retrograde step.

I'm not a reviewer, but from my experience with the New South Wales reviewer, whenever he does his reviewing he appears to clear the queue of all pending caches that are publishable, so your position in the queue is fairly moot. As a recent example, on the 4th of June I submitted GC8TAFN for review, but on the morning of the 6th I realised there was something in the description I wanted to word better so I pulled it out, made my correction and resubmitted. The cache was published a few hours later.

As for events, the latest advice I've seen on the Australian reviewers' Facebook page is:

Please see here on the detail of when events will be allowed again across Australia. This is a national approach and there will be no regional deviation to ensure that there are no issues with events having more than the legal number of people or that event hosts have to turn people away or limit attendees.

Once each state reaches the 100 person threshold events will be able to be reviewed and published.

This advice is for all event types.
https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Australia

It appears that gatherings (indoors or outdoors) in NSW are still limited to 10 people so you might have to wait a while longer for it to be published, although it looks like there will be more relaxation on gatherings from the 13th.

• Upvote 1

There has been no recent change in functionality with regard to sorting of the review queue.

Please note that event cache submissions are always given priority due to their time sensitivity.  This assumes that events can be published in a particular region.  In the regions where I review, we are not publishing new events.  Check the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki for information about your local area.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It appears that gatherings (indoors or outdoors) in NSW are still limited to 10 people so you might have to wait a while longer for it to be published, although it looks like there will be more relaxation on gatherings from the 13th.

The latest information is that the changes from the 13th will still only allow gatherings of 20 people so still no-go for events in NSW.

I have heard/read several times now that any change you make to an unpublish listing resets the position in the queue (even logs seem to do it!).

In fact that is not a bad idea as some cachers send their caches to the reviewer before they are ready to get quicker publishs. I have experienced caches to be published before the container was put out and obviously that's a nogo!

The idea should be to repare your cache until everything is ready before sending it to the reviewer for publish and I don't see why this shouldn't work for events, too. You can still make (minor) changes after publish (e. g. add a comma in the listing text), no matter what kind of geocache or event it is.

I have seen events in areas that are limited to 20 person gatherings due to covid-19. They have been successful by scheduling one or two hour time slots per 20 attendees. First group leaves, next group arrives. This may allow you to have a successful event in your area without waiting for the 100 person threshold.

Edited by runninbear1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, runninbear1 said:

I have seen events in areas that are limited to 20 person gatherings due to covid-19. They have been successful by scheduling one or two hour time slots per 20 attendees. First group leaves, next group arrives. This may allow you to have a successful event in your area without waiting for the 100 person threshold.

That may be happening in other places but the reviewers in Australia have made it quite clear that no events will be published until gatherings of 100 people are allowed. This is from the regional Wiki:

image.png.7a618654449e8453d5a4b6f5a4e5ca0e.png

It looks like the current 20-person limit on gatherings in New South Wales will be lifted on the 1st of July so only a couple more weeks to wait.

5 hours ago, runninbear1 said:

Is the host disinfecting any surfaces between gatherings (assuming it's at a shelter or something similar)?  Are they moving to a slightly different location in order to minimize exposure?  I coach volleyball and we were allowed to return to our gym with our teams but in limited time frames (similar to what your'e describing).  However, at the end of each practice, the coach is required to disinfect the court, disinfect the balls, disinfect the ball cart, and disinfect any props used (jump box, setting target, etc..)  That court is left vacant for the next group of teams to come in so it can dry.  Then that next group of coaches does the same thing to their courts and the court I used previously is then used for the next wave of players and coaches. Water bottles and phones (and keys if they drive) are the only things allowed in (no bags of any sort) and there are "Xs" marked every 6 feet to keep items far enough apart.  Coaches are required to wear masks, except in specific situations that meet social distancing requirements.