Opening up access to create?

Although I am in two minds about Adventure Labs, I got an invitation during the virus lock-down, and planned something out, which I was able to publish last week, along with a Bonus cache for those who wanted it.
The feedback has all been very positive, with 10 finds and 8 Favourite Points in the first seven days.
So, I was wondering - when is it likely that any user will be able to set Adventure Labs? Or is it possible that some users will be offered a second set of lab caches?  For now that I know that it works (despite the odd glitch) I have lots of other ideas

I sincerely hope never. Though I don't dislike Adventure Labs, I hate the thought any future cache will be virtual, with just an optional bonus cache as a physical log item.

The feedback is positive because it's relatively new. A couple of years from now it's not new any more.

The feedback is also positive because Adventure Labs are relatively scarce. If anybody can create one, there will be more rubbish than gems.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, StefandD said:

I sincerely hope never. Though I don't dislike Adventure Labs, I hate the thought any future cache will be virtual, with just an optional bonus cache as a physical log item.

The feedback is positive because it's relatively new. A couple of years from now it's not new any more.

The feedback is also positive because Adventure Labs are relatively scarce. If anybody can create one, there will be more rubbish than gems.

You may well be right, and I know that some Adventure Labs are just a random selection of points to go to, with no pattern, story or purpose. But the same can be said about a lot of Traditional caches too.

Thank you for creating an Adventure, @ErewashPaddler, and for posting these questions.

The Geocaching Adventure Lab app is still in its early stages and for now we are only making the creation tools available to a limited number of experienced geocachers. We have spent much of 2020 awarding credits by using a criteria set plus locations we are targeting. A random selection of Premium members are chosen on an ongoing basis to receive a credit. 

Going forward, we will continue to expand our pool of talented Adventure creators to add new and engaging Adventures to the app for players to explore. We will add to the game organically with new creators, technology, and storytelling opportunities. 

Unlike other geocache types, Adventure locations are virtual (without a container), can be indoors, and do not require a minimum distance to other geocaches. This allows Adventure creators to innovate and test new ideas to make exploring even more fun!

By creating an Adventure, you are helping us test and improve this platform for the future. 
I hope this helps give some insight, and again, we appreciate the Community creating and playing Adventures. 

Best, 
ktaylor211

• Helpful 1
On 6/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, ktaylor211 said:

Thank you for creating an Adventure, @ErewashPaddler, and for posting these questions.

The Geocaching Adventure Lab app is still in its early stages and for now we are only making the creation tools available to a limited number of experienced geocachers. We have spent much of 2020 awarding credits by using a criteria set plus locations we are targeting. A random selection of Premium members are chosen on an ongoing basis to receive a credit. 

Going forward, we will continue to expand our pool of talented Adventure creators to add new and engaging Adventures to the app for players to explore. We will add to the game organically with new creators, technology, and storytelling opportunities. 

Unlike other geocache types, Adventure locations are virtual (without a container), can be indoors, and do not require a minimum distance to other geocaches. This allows Adventure creators to innovate and test new ideas to make exploring even more fun!

By creating an Adventure, you are helping us test and improve this platform for the future. 
I hope this helps give some insight, and again, we appreciate the Community creating and playing Adventures. 

Best, 
ktaylor211

What are Groundspeak plans with lab cache? Flooding the map so container would become useless except for those not using a phone?

You are still adding more and more people to create lab cache, even allowing some people for a second series, when you have a bunch of issues reported in this forum (no notification, no CO control on log, poor map) that you are not even fixing.

Please don't make the same mistakes as the Challenge caches that were discontinued because people were allowed to do anything. Sadly lab caches are following the same mistakes made then...

• Upvote 3

IMHO, I think it would be a terrible idea to open up Adventure Labs so anyone can create. They'd eventually become like virtuals and become grandfathered (or something like that) because they become shortcuts to tons of finds and a find basically becomes worthless. Unless, like I mentioned on another thread, Groundspeak makes them like benchmarks where you can see how many you've done, but they don't count as a find unless they have a bonus cache.

Edited by TmdAndGG
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1