Interview with geocoin designer Chris Mackey

GeoElmo6000

On 11/30/2020 at 12:08 AM, rygemini said:

Very interesting interview with great stories and information.  Quick question, are most of the coins you design minted here in the US or overseas?  Advantages and disadvantages to each.

Most, but not all are designed here and minted overseas.  There are a couple mints in the USA.  One is in Alaska and the other is in Colorado?  The primary reason is the cost differences in production.  Overseas coins can range from a couple dollars to about ten depending on size and complexity while even relatively average coins (1.5 - 1.75in) in the US can be in the $20-$25+ range.

edit to add: the primary advantage is price, but also the expertise in working with various enamels, specialty enamels (glow, glitter, etc.) is primarily available overseas.  I've never seen a specifically 2D US made coin either.  Not that they might not offer it, but I've only ever seen stamped 3D and limited or no enameling available.  I'll have to look into it again though because I haven't checked in a couple years.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound
On 1/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, The Amigos said:

Just thought I would ask you if you know who made this coin. I thought it was TXGA, but they didn't know anything about it. I appreciate any help in the right direction.

received_443291530359907.jpeg

I don't know for sure, but my first thought would TXGA, too.  Richard Young may know though as he collects all things scuba so I'll check.

Okay, just talked to Rich and he said "I do know that it was made for the Balmorhea State Park Summer event in 2006 and it was a trackable coin only on the TXGA site."

So it appears your instincts were correct.  It's TXGA and only trackable on TXGA apparently.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound
new info