jhoff630

jhoff630

1 hour ago, jhoff630 said:

I have 2 TB that were lost in Europe several years ago. Can I launch the copy tag ????

It may be good to scratch off the part that says "Keep Me" (if the copy tags have that text).  Other than that, yes.  Add some text to the description about the release of the Copy tag, in case someone wonders why another tag is starting again, or in case the original turns up.

• Helpful 1

You can; I prefer to just mark them as missing and assume I'll never hear about them again.  You never know, they may resurface.  In my opinion, if you launch a copy tag, the history of the TB will show the TB in Europe and then back in the US and then going wherever it goes, giving a false history that the TB actually moved from Europe back to the US when it actually didn't.

That's just my opinion.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, jhoff630 said:

I have 2 TB that were lost in Europe several years ago. Can I launch the copy tag ????

Several  years, sure.  :)   Hopefully you don't have the set with the "keep me" copy tag.  Some didn't. 

- They went "missing" with a "don't keep me" tag on it, what could go wrong  ?   ;)

Similar to  GeoELmo6000,  we mark them missing, and keep the copy (we have the same items on each copy) as a "remembrance" of the hobby.

If we ever wanted to reuse the code, we'd attach it to something we have with us all the time for Discover logs, so they don't go "missing" again.

You have  at least nine missing.           Well ... welcome to the club...

20 minutes ago, RedGuy11 said:

a story:

once my half-muggle friend geocached once and took 2 tbs

then stopped geocaching

~10 years later, we're talking about geocaching and he mentions them

needless to say, i got them back in circulation

https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=cf46e81c-8b5d-41d1-b061-4d625009d172

https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=f7f9d4f5-4409-4253-a485-ab58303489d9

I'm surprised you got them back! Several times a muggle geocaching with a geocaching friend took my TBs and they were never seen from again. TWO got zero miles before taken. I confirmed with one that the TB was long gone before re-launching a new one.

Edited by Max and 99

I personally would not launch them again.  They may very well still be out there, and some day one of them may show up.  Then you'd have the same tag being logged in two different locations.  The logs are the history of the TB.  Some have glorious missions, others die young.  I would recommend you start new ones instead of trying to resurrect existing ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 6/7/2020 at 6:51 PM, jhoff630 said:

Yes, I do it all  the time .  After both tags are gone  (or just to avoid using the ones that say "KEEP ME")  you can make your own tags.

• Upvote 1