What Is A GeoTrail And How Does It Work?

GeoTrail.

A series of caches in an area, by a cache owner, or group of cachers.

Or could be 'some' caches that can be done while in the area.

That may, or may not have a theme.

That can be done 'together'  in a caching session. (That could be a short or long session)

How many caches to make a trail? Depends! :laughing:

eta

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2011/05/geocaching-com-do-it-yourself-create-a-geotrail/

Edited by Bear and Ragged
added link to blog
5 hours ago, MindlessEngine said:

I have heard of GeoTrails in the past and just assumed they were similar to a GeoTour. Today someone found a series of caches I had placed and said "Working through the new geotrail" today. Just wondering if anyone could let me know what a GeoTrail is and how it works.

Thank you!

Alex.

We have an outstanding Geo Trail in my state that has a theme of barn quilts. There is a beautiful reward geocoin for completing the trail. It is very much like a geotour but not official so it's called a Geo trail. 

A geotrail is also the remnant of regular geocaching activity typically through a natural area so much that a new an unintended trail is formed, typically a giveaway of the cache location, and often considered an unpleasant side-effect of geocaches in beautiful areas just off of intended higher traffic pathways... ;P

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

A geotrail is also the remnant of regular geocaching activity typically through a natural area so much that a new an unintended trail is formed, typically a giveaway of the cache location, and often considered an unpleasant side-effect of geocaches in beautiful areas just off of intended higher traffic pathways... ;P

Yep.  Our state parks have time-limits for caches because in many areas, eventually a "geotrail" leads to GZ.   :)

A geotrail here is an area that's now worn enough that many searchers can put the gps away and just follow the trail to GZ.

Here, caches in a series is called that - a series, and like many areas today, we have "power" trails, but "geotrails" aren't a nice thing to have.

Now that someone put a positive spin on the term, the term we've known it to be since starting has been relegated to the urban dictionary...  

In terms of a GeoTrail cache series they come in multiple varieties:

1. A true power trail, i.e. series of caches along a road meant to be park-n-grabbed.

Lately I've seen people mixing this up. During the shutdown someone hid a power trail in central Florida consisting of multis!

2. A non-driving trail (hike, bike, horse, or paddle) with a high volume of hides, usually with a theme or otherwise very simple.

3. A series of caches, usually by one CO, with each location on-theme somehow. Caches at local waterfalls, historic buildings, city parks, or the like. Some as unofficial Geotours with a reward for completion, some not.

So "geotrail" is a broad concept. Generally though they try through quantity or quality attract non-locals to make a special trip for them.