SOLD!! - FS - Etrex Vista

This one is old, I used to use it;  as far as I know it still works although it has been in the closet for a while. Uses AA batteries.  Unit, packaging, cable for downloading (although you may need an adapter part for your computer), case.  Black and white screen.  I would sell it for $15, just to basically cover shipping.

Garmin has sold a Vista (Silver/Serial )and a Vista HC(yellow/USB). They have very little in common operationally. Since he says it's black and white, it's the original from about twenty years ago.

The downfall of the original serial Vista is that USB/Serial adapters that actually work with modern operating systems *correctly* are hard to find. The original comes out in an eTrex-proprietary "blade" connector which needs that proprietary cable (which it sounds like FuzzieBear is providing) and then has to to go USB/Serial adapter. The Yellow one comes out in a USB Mini-B and still requires Garmin-specific software to speak to the device for anything but track points. Waypoints (geocaches) won't just mass storage mount and copy.

GSAK should work with either once you have the connection right, but it's not easy. A lot of the XP-era serial devices just won't work under 10. Maybe if you're buying new adapters it's better, but serial ports are approaching "collectibles".

It's a fair price - near zero - but you should be braced for a challenge.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, robertlipe said:

Garmin has sold a Vista (Silver/Serial )and a Vista HC(yellow/USB). They have very little in common operationally. Since he says it's black and white, it's the original from about twenty years ago.

The downfall of the original serial Vista is that USB/Serial adapters that actually work with modern operating systems *correctly* are hard to find. The original comes out in an eTrex-proprietary "blade" connector which needs that proprietary cable (which it sounds like FuzzieBear is providing) and then has to to go USB/Serial adapter. The Yellow one comes out in a USB Mini-B and still requires Garmin-specific software to speak to the device for anything but track points. Waypoints (geocaches) won't just mass storage mount and copy.

GSAK should work with either once you have the connection right, but it's not easy. A lot of the XP-era serial devices just won't work under 10. Maybe if you're buying new adapters it's better, but serial ports are approaching "collectibles".

That's the one. Quite familiar with the beast; have 3 Legend (blue) serial units and cables I use for APRS and scanning operations; works well with the Uniden BC536HP.  

Chineseium cables are still available on eBay, believe it or not.  Wrote a Linux routine that's similar to the EasyGPS pgm for geocaching; enjoy tinkering with old-school

equipment. (Think: 3-on-the-tree!:D)  The challenge for me is trying to find something appealing in Windows OS... haven't succeeded yet.

9 hours ago, robertlipe said:

Cool. You're clearly not the mainstream buyer for even a $15 GPS. :-) Hack away.

As for "a linux routine that's similar to EasyGPS",  I may have some relevant credentials. I released it publicly 18 years ago this month, in fact.

My hat is off to you, Sir!  EasyGPS  has been and still is my go-to app when I have to use a Windows machine... lock 'n load then hit the road,

Never a lick of trouble (other than Operator Error of course:unsure:)  If our paths ever happen to cross on the Geo-Trail, the libations are on me!

For the record: the eTrex Vista arrived in yesterday's mail.  I would not describe it as in "Good" condition...  this unit is doggone near NEW!!

Works perfectly with both the RS232 and my USB cable. I was going to use it as an APRS receiver but now it's going geocaching!

Thank you fuzziebear3 , 5 stars and 2 thumbs-up!

On 6/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, robertlipe said:

It's actually not as bad as you're making it out to be. I use the serial to usb converter below and it works great. You don't need to install anything extra, just plug it in to your computer and go. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753HBT12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it with my old eTrex legend. As long as you have the proprietary cable that works with the old etrex, you are good to go. B)

• Funny 1