Where is Google Earth Viewer?

Pink Action

18 minutes ago, Pink Action said:

Hi folks, I can't find the Google Earth Viewer to download on the new profile page. How do I find it? 

Back to the old page even momentarily and click over the text "Download Viewer" to download it, on the right column of the page of your profile.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
1 hour ago, Pink Action said:

When I click on that link it just takes me to the new profile page.

Try this. Or not...

When you go to your dashboard, there should be a line at the top that says "This is a new dashboard experience. If you prefer, you can go back to the old page.". Click on the part that says "back to the old page" and it should send you there. 

Edit part 3: Actually, try this!

Edit part 4 (the grand finale): Yay, It works!:antenna:

Edited by TmdAndGG

I've become SO disappointed with the Paleozoic era G.E. imagery that I've begun trying to make better of of Google Maps in satellite view for reviewing access to caches.   For whatever reason, G.E. is very often FAR behind its sister mapping arm.  In areas where change is constant, being a couple of years behind in the imagery gets pretty tiresome.  Oh, there's a road there now???  That's not a farmer's field?  They put up a shopping center there four years ago?

Having been burned so many times by G.E. in that fashion, I've taken to learning how to import my *.gpx files into My Maps on Google.  It has its functional downsides as well, but at least the imagery is a lot more current.

16 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Paleozoic era G.E. imagery

I'm curious...  Have you tried the Esri WorldImagery on the classic Search map, over on the misnomered "Leaflet" side?

Some years ago, I realized Esri's imagery was better than Google's virtually every time I'd compared them, so I've barely looked at Google's version since.

Yes, but my preference is to load my entire list of waypoints up at the same time.  When really out in the sticks, I am too often looking for routes between waypoints (caches) as well, so seeing just those that have been selected (a one time *.gpx of the full list of JUST the current cache run) is quite handy, and often I will wish to pick up from the screen coordinates at decision points in the route, etc.   The gc.com search page with ERSI set doesn't allow for either of those functions. 

Apart from the old data set, G.E. makes all of that very easy.  Just run *.gpx > *.xml and the entire target list (and nothing else) is all there in front of me, with cursor coordinates there at the bottom of the screen whenever I might wish to record them.  Each of the available tools has deficiencies:

1) G.E. = old imagery, but all other functionality spot on ... easy loading of waypoints, obtaining coordinate data from arbitrary locations on the screen

2) Straight Google Maps = good imagery and you can get a coordinate pair from the cursor position fairly easily (right click + "What's Here") in dd.ddddd format, but you can't load your own data set to display without a lot of programming and API access

3) My Google Maps = again, good imagery, and you can upload waypoints, but can't click (or other function) to get a coordinate pair from some arbitrary position from the screen.