Discovering Trackables Via Friends

MatildaWolf

I just started getting interested in Geocaching again in late 2019. After I got back into it, I found out that one of my friends also Geocaches and she has offered to let me "Discover" some trackables before she moves them on. From my understanding, these aren't her personal trackables. They are owned by other people and she has logged them as "Retrieved" from a cache, but hasn't moved them on yet.

From what I read, it seems that the "Discover" log is meant only for if you see the trackable in a cache, but don't retrieve it. So, is it considered poor taste to "Discover" a trackable while it's in the inventory of someone else?

59 minutes ago, MatildaWolf said:

I just started getting interested in Geocaching again in late 2019. After I got back into it, I found out that one of my friends also Geocaches and she has offered to let me "Discover" some trackables before she moves them on. From my understanding, these aren't her personal trackables. They are owned by other people and she has logged them as "Retrieved" from a cache, but hasn't moved them on yet.

From what I read, it seems that the "Discover" log is meant only for if you see the trackable in a cache, but don't retrieve it. So, is it considered poor taste to "Discover" a trackable while it's in the inventory of someone else?

If you have seen the trackable, it is absolutely OK to discover it, no matter where it was when you saw it: on the back of a truck driving 80 on the highway, in a geocache, at an event, or in the hands of a friend you met to go geocaching with.

From the help center: Trackables

1.3. Log a trackable

This article is about functionality of Geocaching.com. For functionality on the Geocaching® app, go here.

Retrieve, Discover, Grab and Write note logs

Follow these steps if you found or saw a trackable in a geocache or in someone else's possession.

1. On Geocaching.com enter the tracking code in the tracking box or select a trackable from your inventory.
  2. On the right of the trackable details page select Add a Log Entry.
  3. Select from the available log types:
    • Retrieve, pick up a trackable from the geocache.
    • Discover It, say you saw the trackable.
    • Grab it, from another cache or another geocacher.
    • Write note to the trackable’s owner.
  4. Write your log and (optionally) upload a photo.
Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, MatildaWolf said:

You saw it.  It's in another's possession, but you can Discover it.    :)

More Trackable Owners we've met lately now have their trackables with them (for Discover), rather than placed in caches.   

- The odds of losing it themselves, compared to someone holding onto their property way too long, and it's now missing I guess...

This virus thing ever allows us to attend events again, you may be seeing a lot of trackables to Discover.