How can someone "find" an archived cache?

23 hours ago, Team Dennis said:

I have sort of an odd fascination with old, archived caches and have searched for a half dozen (or so) of them over the years.  On 7/24/2020, I scored what will probably go down as my most epic FTF ever on this cache hidden 15 years and 3 days before we found its remains along with the travel bug that was inside.  

So, to answer the OP's question...we find them by going out and finding them.  :)

HAHA Knowschad fanboy. Isn't his latest hobby woodworking?

• Funny 2
16 hours ago, bflentje said:
On 8/11/2020 at 3:43 PM, Team Dennis said:

I have sort of an odd fascination with old, archived caches and have searched for a half dozen (or so) of them over the years.  On 7/24/2020, I scored what will probably go down as my most epic FTF ever on this cache hidden 15 years and 3 days before we found its remains along with the travel bug that was inside.  

So, to answer the OP's question...we find them by going out and finding them.  :)

HAHA Knowschad fanboy. Isn't his latest hobby woodworking?

Ha! It's been so long since I looked at the broken forum titles, it took me a bit to figure out how you knew they were a Knowschad fanboy. 

On 8/11/2020 at 3:43 PM, Team Dennis said:

AND, is that a rescued travelbug in the photo? Or one you had 'visit' the cache?

That's definitely an epic find on an archived cache!  Glad for you it wasn't locked. :)

On 8/12/2020 at 5:43 AM, Team Dennis said:

That's a great story.... 

I have a stack of paper printouts for caches that I haven't logged - some going back to 2001 when there was no paperless caching. I have notes on them about the caching trip and dates including who, if anyone, was with me. I am bad at logging. I actually made a "resolution" that I would log some during this pandemic since I'm home, but I bought an off grid cabin instead and have been spending my time fixing that up. If I don't log when I arrive home, chances are I won't log. Now, I have notebooks with the info. Ugh, someday. 

On 8/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, thebruce0 said:

AND, is that a rescued travelbug in the photo? Or one you had 'visit' the cache?

That's definitely an epic find on an archived cache!  Glad for you it wasn't locked. :)

That TB in my photo is the TB that was on the mountain for 15 years before we found it.  After having a nice phone conversation with the CO, he suggested I keep the TB in my possession and take it on as many mountain climbing trips as I could.   

On 8/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, Team Dennis said:

So much for the "wilderness rangers" removing them from the wilderness.

I was on a tour of Europe (Venice to Budapest vis Dubrovnik) which included a day in Montenegro.  Our tour guide knew all about my caching obsession and he told me that he could show me one.  He took me to the location where I searched and found a container.  It had a logbook with just a few names, so I signed and replaced it.  Then I tried to find which cache it was - nothing showed up on the map.

After enquiring here, someone gave me a GC code.  It turned out to be a throwdown on an archived cache.  The CO did the right thing, archived it and removed it.  Someone else couldn't find it and placed a "replacement".

I didn't claim the find but, fortunately, it wasn't my only cache that day, so I do have one Montenegrin cache. 

• Upvote 1

Personally one of my favorite archived cache "solves" involved some internet sleuthing as several of the multi beacons had been removed:

https://coord.info/GLVDJVWR

Sometimes when I'm bored I'll look at the Project GC map and see which ones were archived for reasons that indicate they're still there (parts of a multi trail are gone, or owner didn't respond to a NM regarding a wet log or something trivial like that) and I add them to a bookmark. If I'm in the area, I'll search for one. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Team Dennis said:

Got another one last week!

https://coord.info/GC11ZTW

Short story is this puzzle cache is now impossible to solve because the web pages needed no longer exist, but I didn't let that stop me. Not only did I score the find, but it was 4+ years lonely as well.  I also CITO'd the container...a sweet ammo can.  Thus far, the CO has not requested it back.  

I'm assuming you had to battleship the coordinates for a puzzle like that where the links are gone and there's not much else to go on (combined with some good guesswork et al).

12 minutes ago, STNolan said:

the links are gone and there's not much else to go on

If you're lucky, they could have been archived with the Internet wayback machine.

I already solved mystery caches where the needed website was no longer online, but the wayback machine had a backup.

TBH, I own a geocache which relies partly exactly on this. No battleship needed.

7 hours ago, STNolan said:

I'm assuming you had to battleship the coordinates for a puzzle like that where the links are gone and there's not much else to go on (combined with some good guesswork et al).

Nope!  I looked at a few old pics in the gallery and found one with some metadata.  Bingo, bango, boingo I had the coords. I've solved a few difficult puzzle caches with this method as well.  

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Team Dennis said:

Nope!  I looked at a few old pics in the gallery and found one with some metadata.  Bingo, bango, boingo I had the coords. I've solved a few difficult puzzle caches with this method as well.  

Aha! Spent a few minutes searching and now I too have those coords... for a cache that's no longer there...

I may need to find better ways to spend my time. This quarantine... 

• Funny 2