BUG: Total find count - error!

fbax

See attached screenshot. Total caches found appears three times; two of them (17888) are WRONG!! 17889 is correct.
Check my statistics page to see calendar also reports 17889 find; which matches my personal counting system.

GC_Bug.jpg

Probably the same here. I run GSAK database with my finds for 6 years and today I've found the total finds count doesn't equal to the webpage total finds count. I"m also missing one find on GC page. I thought some find it log of mine was deleted and wanted to ask here how can I find my deleted FI logs. And I see someone esle is also experiencing the same problem, so maybe something's wrong on GC webpage?

EDIT: I've just checked my total finds count on Project-GC and there is correct information, the same as in my GSAK database. There's definitely something wrong on GC web.

Another find out: Despite this error has to be current, all of my last finds are calculated correctly in the Memory lane game.

Edited by kovbojkáči

Hey fbax!

I have the same issue, and I'm pretty it's due to a find log on a retracted cache listing. If it's retracted, the API can't access it. So my find count it +1, my Find history doesn't include the cache, my statistics are +1, my Project-GC count is short, my PQ is +1, but once in GSAK I can't download the GPX or update via API because they're inaccessible.  It's odd because some stats are based on the Find Log and some are based on the cache listing.

Either way, there's an inconsistency, and I'm betting you have a Find log on a retracted cache listing.

• Helpful 1
10 hours ago, bandita007 said:

I also encountered this problem a few times (after FI log the find was not added to the total).

However, it was always enough to wait a few minutes and the number of findings was eventually updated to the correct number. Hard to say what the cause is.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.  Within a few minutes it corrected itself.  @thebruce0 it was not a retracted cache listing.  Only happened once and has been fine since.

@thebruce0

Geocaching.com handles the find on a retracted cache just fine.  I have one, and it's counted by everywhere in this site's stats correctly. As one of the total number of finds, of the particular D/T, type,  date of find, etc.  I have the full gpx of the cache page in GSAK from a download of a MyFinds PQ. 

You are correct that API partners can't access it, so stats generated on other sites are blind to it.

Generally when people come here complaining about finds off as shown on different modules within Geocaching.com  they just need to wait.   Cats in the server room - hamsters aren't preforming and server sync suffers.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
15 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Geocaching.com handles the find on a retracted cache just fine.  I have one, and it's counted by everywhere in this site's stats correctly. As one of the total number of finds, of the particular D/T, type,  date of find, etc.  I have the full gpx of the cache page in GSAK from a download of a MyFinds PQ. 

Yes, everything as I described.

You are correct that API partners can't access it, so stats generated on other sites are blind to it.

Yep.

Generally when people come here complaining about finds off as shown on different modules within Geocaching.com  they just need to wait.   Cats in the server room - hamsters aren't preforming and server sync suffers.

Yep, that is a resolution. I gave an example of a statistical inconsistency that was relevant to the topic - however I will cede that in my case the three cited count locations shown in the OP are consistent with each other, so the stats counting bug I have isn't the same as the known delay with the internal gc.com count synchronization.

There's even a difference between the header and the profile section on geocaching.com (see screenshot below):

• the header total finds doesn't include the last geocache that I logged a few minutes ago;
  • the Official Geocaching app aswell doesn't update the total finds count in profile.

image.png.b8019de95d0b4fa78c9cc77925ff0f22.png

Mine counts have been off by over two months now and haven't automatically corrected themselves.  My MyFinds query matches my found database in GSAK everytime but neither the numbers at the top of my profile nor the counts elsewhere match.  My GC.com stats show I have one less mystery find than I have in GSAK and MyFinds query.

@Nothereeither That sounds unrelated to what is covered in this thread.. Once you determine which cache is missing, please send us an email through our Help Center and we can take another look.

It could be that you have found a cache that was since retracted for some reason and is missing in your stats on the website but is returned as found through the API (GSAK). If so, there is no fix for that.

• Helpful 1

Hi All,

I just found this thread while searching for a solution to inconsistent numbers. I know I have to wait sometimes and usually things end up ok but now it has been off for more than 2 months. What I currently observe:

Total number of founds in gc.com banner at the top = 6499
gc.com page of my founds (www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=brilstar) = 6492
When I download my founds as a PQ = 6494

Suggestions?

Jaco..

1 hour ago, brilstar said:

Total number of founds in gc.com banner at the top = 6499
gc.com page of my founds (www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=brilstar) = 6492

I noticed a similar discrepancy a few days ago, the discrepancy didn't correlate with the number of Labs I've found or the duplicate logs I know about. It didn't concern me so I left it, then after a day or so both numbers were in sync, so I put it down to the fact that the two numbers are calculated by different scripts/jobs, and there's a lag on one of them catching up with the real world.

1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

This list won’t include your five Lab Caches.  That still leaves you two short.  Duplicate finds on a couple of caches maybe?

32 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

I noticed a similar discrepancy a few days ago, the discrepancy didn't correlate with the number of Labs I've found or the duplicate logs I know about. It didn't concern me so I left it, then after a day or so both numbers were in sync, so I put it down to the fact that the two numbers are calculated by different scripts/jobs, and there's a lag on one of them catching up with the real world.

Thanks to you both. I did not realize Lab Caches; these are recent so that could be the case. So Lab Caches are not included when downloading your founds as PQ. Clear.
I will double check on duplicate logs.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, brilstar said:

Thanks to you both. I did not realize Lab Caches; these are recent so that could be the case. So Lab Caches are not included when downloading your founds as PQ. Clear.
I will double check on duplicate logs.

Correct. They are not geocaches, so they don't have the same statistical content as Found It logs on geocache listings. They only provide a +1 to your find count (per stage), and are displayed in some areas of your profile statistics as a general quantity.

You can delete (hide) them from your profile and count if you wish which will keep your statistics more in sync. And you can unhide them again any time.

6 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Correct. They are not geocaches, so they don't have the same statistical content as Found It logs on geocache listings. They only provide a +1 to your find count (per stage), and are displayed in some areas of your profile statistics as a general quantity.

You can delete (hide) them from your profile and count if you wish which will keep your statistics more in sync. And you can unhide them again any time.

Good suggestion, thanks.

22 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

You can? I haven't been hanging around the forums for a while, so I may have missed something, but I haven't seen anywhere where you can hide lab finds. You can definitely delete lab finds, but as of earlier this year the lab deletion code hadn't been completed, so deleting didn't do all the things it needed to on the server side and was irreversible (ie. you couldn't just go and log it again). I still have an Adventure in a state where I'm unable to complete it due to this. Until it's confirmed otherwise, I would strongly recommend never deleting any lab finds unless you're absolutely positive you never want to log that Adventure ever again. Maybe I'll do some testing with a test account to see if deletion works better now.

18 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

I have successfully deleted and undeleted individual lab finds  a number of times via the Labs log page

That's good to know. I guess improvements have been made to the deletion process since my issue. The one Adventure is still in an unplayable state for me, but at least I don't need to worry about similar issues with future Adventures. Thanks!

19 hours ago, The A-Team said:
On 12/29/2020 at 7:53 PM, MartyBartfast said:

I have successfully deleted and undeleted individual lab finds  a number of times via the Labs log page

That's good to know. I guess improvements have been made to the deletion process since my issue.

That's funny, ever since I first hid my lab finds I could always undelete them. At least as I recall. :)  Maybe undelete wasn't an option in the beginning for a short period of time... can't remember.

7 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

That's funny, ever since I first hid my lab finds I could always undelete them. At least as I recall. :)  Maybe undelete wasn't an option in the beginning for a short period of time... can't remember.

That depends on when "in the beginning" was. When I ran into a glitch in the app on February 1, 2020, I then went to the website to delete my logs and see if I could complete the Adventure again. The website happily allowed me to click on the "Delete" icon and wiped the logs from existence. They disappeared completely from the website and there wasn't any option to undelete them. It turns out that the logs didn't get deleted from the database that feeds the app, so the app continues to think I've completed stages 1, 3, 4 and 5 of a sequential Adventure. There remains no option for me to restore the original finds on the website, though. I'm guessing that was added at a later date.