Family Caching?

Difranco

I was a pretty active cacher in the past and life kinda took me away from the game for some time.   Now that I've started again, I'm disappointed that you have to pay to get pocket queries or view caches.   With my oldest child I she had her own account so she could have her own record of caches she's visited.   I wanted to do the same with my younger ones now that they are old enough to cache but I really can't fund 6 accounts to go geocaching and if I don't  and just fund a single account  - they won't be able to log the find in their accounts.

How are other families addressing this?

8 minutes ago, Difranco said:

... you have to pay to get pocket queries...

Pocket Queries was always a Premium perk... but any Basic Member can see all the caches accessing the homepage, maybe you are talking about the official app limitations?!

These limitations apply on the app, showing only few easy Traditionals close to your location, changing when you move to others places. But you can check all the desirable caches over the homepage and saving those as waypoints on the app, then you (or the kids) just need to navigate to the saved waypoints, by instance.

• Helpful 1

PQs have always been a Premium feature (I think), but the new (2014!) App did put additional restrictions on Basic members - it only shows ‘simple’ Trads (with D/T 2 and below) and Events.  All caches (other than Premium Member Only caches) are available on the website.

If you have a single Premium account, you can log onto the App on multiple devices, so that you all get the same unrestricted experience out in the field.  You can set up the additional Basic account(s) and use this to log the caches for other family members when you get home.

Basic members can even log PMO caches (e.g. on Project-GC).

Edited by IceColdUK
1 hour ago, Difranco said:

I was a pretty active cacher in the past and life kinda took me away from the game for some time.   Now that I've started again, I'm disappointed that you have to pay to get pocket queries or view caches.   With my oldest child I she had her own account so she could have her own record of caches she's visited.   I wanted to do the same with my younger ones now that they are old enough to cache but I really can't fund 6 accounts to go geocaching and if I don't  and just fund a single account  - they won't be able to log the find in their accounts.

My non PM  kids logged PM caches that they found with us. Easy peasy. Been doing it for years. Everyone I know with kids who geocache do this also. 

Edit: I don't know of any families who get all their kids premium memberships. 

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, Difranco said:

I was a pretty active cacher in the past and life kinda took me away from the game for some time.   

Now that I've started again, I'm disappointed that you have to pay to get pocket queries or view caches.   

With my oldest child I she had her own account so she could have her own record of caches she's visited. 

I wanted to do the same with my younger ones now that they are old enough to cache but I really can't fund 6 accounts to go geocaching and if I don't  and just fund a single account  - they won't be able to log the find in their accounts.

Guess you now know that PQs were always a premium feature...

You can "fix" all this by simply loading caches manually from the website.   I've done that since starting.   :)

Most cache D/T and types are available from the website for free.  Simple...

The only thing you or your kids can't see is premium member-only hides, I feel the least reason to become a premium member.

We know some families that keep a trackable for each child, and log that trackable to every cache they were with them on.

Later, if they decide to stick with the hobby, through that trackable they have a record of each cache found (to back-date for finds).

Im quite certain when I started caching PQs were not a paid feature, in fact I don't recall paying anything for a "membership" - just had to have an account on the site.   I will try making the kids an account to see if I can log a cache.      I'm currently doubtful,  I have logged "premium caches" from before my hiatus from the past that I can't even view as a basic member so I am not sure how I would be able to log the cache.

4 minutes ago, Difranco said:

Okay so I tried the "log" on the 'admin.com' site and it appears to allow me to write a note or declare I didn't find. 

You have already logged a Found It using your account in the past? It won't let you log another one, so your only options are those given.

EDIT: Try GC681CX (it's temporarily disabled, but you can experiment on my cache if you like)

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

They can also do that directly on the website through the backdoor link http://www.geocachingadmin.com/ .

Basic members can't view PMO cache pages but they can certainly log them.

I was told that isn't a "backdoor method"  since it's allowed by the site,  but agreed.   :)

It seems (to me) the second sentence is just as important, and one we see a lot of basic members have issues with when we take them out.

They can log caches when out with a pm, using an alternate method, but they can't see what they logged afterwards.

3 hours ago, Difranco said:

So as a basic member,  I tried logging a cache .... but I can't  -   I've also logged this cache in the past and personally know the cache owner.

For clarity, were you a pm at one time ?   Did the cache owner (or someone else) go with you to that cache ?    Thanks.  :)

I just checked by your last cache found.  Out of roughly 300 caches in a ten-mile radius, only two are pmo.

Are you talking about "Advanced" caches (caches with over 2 D/T) not shown ?

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Difranco said:

Im quite certain when I started caching PQs were not a paid feature, in fact I don't recall paying anything for a "membership" - just had to have an account on the site.   I will try making the kids an account to see if I can log a cache.      I'm currently doubtful,  I have logged "premium caches" from before my hiatus from the past that I can't even view as a basic member so I am not sure how I would be able to log the cache.

In the past, anyone could download a query, but the information was extremely limited for those not financially supporting the running of this hobby; non-members. That's my memory.

As someone who found my first 180 caches without a GPS (or phone), I free-loaded until I got my first GPS. Then after joining I discovered all these extra caches nearby, which I hadn't been able to see when a basic member. Was I upset that I hadn't been able to see all the caches? Absolutely not. In fact I really liked this feature, as suddenly it was like Christmas, with a whole set of extra caches suddenly in walking or cycling distance. The reward for joining and supporting the site. Geocaching runs on money, not just the 'joy' of giving people a hobby. So, my advice is join if you want these extra features and support the site. If you can afford a phone and data, you can afford to join. If you don''t want extra memberships for the children, only you need to join, and you can supply the needed information to the children. Or let the children only find caches available to them.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

In the past, anyone could download a query, but the information was extremely limited for those not financially supporting the running of this hobby; non-members. That's my memory.

Your memory is mixing up pocket queries with the simple download functionality from the old search results page.

Pocket queries have been a feature available only to Premium Members since the introduction of the feature in 2002.

• Helpful 2
On 6/4/2020 at 1:38 AM, Difranco said:

Im quite certain when I started caching PQs were not a paid feature

It looks like you started caching right around the same time we did. Pocket queries were a premium member function in 2007.