"A cache by ..." suggestion for the site

I'm sorry if this is not the right forum.  I believe a minor change to the way caches are presented is needed.  I hid a cache 13 years ago, then moved away 3 years after that, donated my GPS, and gave the cache up for adoption.  If you look at https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC18079_fore, it appears at first glance that I still maintain this cache since it says at the very top "A cache by CacheDeal".  It's only by digging through ten years' worth of logs that you'll find "Fore! was transferred from CacheDeal to user puppyluv68" in April of 2010.  

I suggest that text be changed to reflect both the original owner and the current owner.  I think it should be changed to something like this:

"A cache hidden by CacheDeal on 12/17/2007 and now owned by puppyluv68.  Message this owner"

I pulled all of that text right off the page so I know it's technically possible.  What do y'all think?

--CacheDeal

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, CacheDeal said:

I'm sorry if this is not the right forum.  I believe a minor change to the way caches are presented is needed.  I hid a cache 13 years ago, then moved away 3 years after that, donated my GPS, and gave the cache up for adoption.  If you look at https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC18079_fore, it appears at first glance that I still maintain this cache since it says at the very top "A cache by CacheDeal".  It's only by digging through ten years' worth of logs that you'll find "Fore! was transferred from CacheDeal to user puppyluv68" in April of 2010.  

I suggest that text be changed to reflect both the original owner and the current owner.  I think it should be changed to something like this:

"A cache hidden by CacheDeal on 12/17/2007 and now owned by puppyluv68.  Message this owner"

I pulled all of that text right off the page so I know it's technically possible.  What do y'all think?

--CacheDeal

The cache owner usually does that to give credit to the original cache owner. You can put absolutely anything you want within reason in that spot on the cache page. if you don't want your name listed just messaged the current owner and ask them to change it.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

You don't need to dig through anything.  Simply clicking on "A cache by..." shows the real deal.  ;)

Don't you think it's possible that it was kept that way as a grateful, "honoring" type thing ?

I'd prefer that the CO of that cache, write whatever they'd like...

Curious though...  Was the "FTF" message about  "parents" yours ? 

Seems odd for a new owner to leave things so personal in the description if it is, so it seems (to me) that "honoring you" may well be the reason.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
redundantredundant
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, CacheDeal said:

The cache by field is completely editable by the current owner and normal practice, at least in these parts, is for the adoptee to add their own name while still acknowledging the original hider, like this old one I adopted from its previous adoptee...

image.png.beb29f94dd994bd1a6458f0b82a72250.png

• Helpful 2
39 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

The cache by field is completely editable by the current owner and normal practice, at least in these parts, is for the adoptee to add their own name while still acknowledging the original hider, like this old one I adopted from its previous adoptee...

We see some, but most here seem to be the new cachers name, and a mention of the original owner in the description.

In fact, it's so common that's what I did when I adopted a cache from the other 2/3rds.  Odd thing is I placed it for her too...     :D

In the OP's example, it seems it was left that way because of personal information left in the cache description.

• Helpful 1

When I adopted two caches way back in 2002, I somehow managed to figure this out myself.  On those two cache pages, the "Placed by" field says "The Leprechauns (originally placed by _____________.)" 

Nowadays there is a fancy Help Center article, which helpfully states:

Note: The owner name on the cache page will not change automatically, but it will link to the new owner’s profile. New owners often choose to edit the owner name to their username or “Placed by X and adopted by Y”.

I like the flexibility to customize the field as desire by the current owner.  I've seen caches go through as many as three adoptions, all acknowledged in the "Placed by" field.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Hynz said:

I think there was recently a short thread about this.

IMO it's OK as it is but I still would like to see for every listing a non editable history of all past ownerships.

Some names are not real CO names at all but part of a puzzle.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I have a series of six puzzle caches and a final, and the series follows a fictional group of geocachers who decide to hide a series of puzzles together.  For each puzzle cache, the cache page says "A Cache By " and the fictional cacher who the puzzle was supposedly created by.  I think it adds to the fun of the series.  I'm glad each doesn't say "A Cache by GeoElmo6000".

• Upvote 3