maintaining a cache and covid 19

I'm 67 and still maintaining mine.  Facial protection and a little hand sanitizer go a long way toward keeping you healthy.

Moreover, I looked at a good handful of your recently found caches, and was pleased to see that these aren't urban lamp post hides.  Yours (at least all of the ones I saw) are far enough from potential crowds that I'm surprised you're worrying over a bit of time outdoors.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1

As noted in the Geocaching HQ information page on COVID-19, Community Volunteer Reviewers are giving lots of extra leeway for cache owners to attend to maintenance issues.  As "stay at home" orders are lifted, Reviewers may be restarting their continuous efforts to request attention to caches with maintenance needs.  Should a CO receive such an inquiry from a Community Volunteer Reviewer, but is not comfortable venturing out to maintain their cache, all the CO needs to do is to post a note to that effect on the cache page.  This will prevent the cache from being archived.

If a Cache Owner receives a message from a fellow geocacher, they are free to ignore it or to reply with an explanation.  If the message violates the Terms of Use, the recipient can report the message to Geocaching HQ via the Help Center.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 5
2 hours ago, JohnnyVegas said:

I have a few people contact me re cache maintenance. People need to understand some cachers are mush older and in the at risk category for going into public. One person sent to messages. Some people just don't get it. 

I am 77 and have been able to get out to maintain my caches without coming into close contact with other people.   Of course some people have caches that are in the midst of big cities where close contact with other people is unavoidable.  And some people have been (maybe still are) under strict lock down orders.  Everybody's situation is somewhat different.

Edited by NanCycle
  • Upvote 1

One of the geocaches I'm responsible for is still not accessible because of Covid. I keep posting updates on the cache page and hope I don't get a note from the reviewer. It's one of my family's favorite so I really hope I don't have to archive it because of something out of my control. 

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

One of the geocaches I'm responsible for is still not accessible because of Covid. I keep posting updates on the cache page and hope I don't get a note from the reviewer. It's one of my family's favorite so I really hope I don't have to archive it because of something out of my control. 

If your reviewer is anything like mine, then a once a month note lets them know that you're still on top of the situation that has rendered the cache inaccessible or disabled.  I just posted a few notes this evening on some parks that are closed for construction as well as some libraries that are still closed - as they contain some of my caches.

• Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

If your reviewer is anything like mine, then a once a month note lets them know that you're still on top of the situation that has rendered the cache inaccessible or disabled.  I just posted a few notes this evening on some parks that are closed for construction as well as some libraries that are still closed - as they contain some of my caches.

That's what I'm hoping for. My stage is inside a library that was closed for two months for renovation and just before they were going to reopen the pandemic hit. Today they finally opened the building fur guests but you're not allowed to browse the material, only complete certain services. I'd really hate to see that cache go. Thanks for the report of how your reviewer is handling this. I'm assuming the same for mine.

Just now, Max and 99 said:

That's what I'm hoping for. My stage is inside a library that was closed for two months for renovation and just before they were going to reopen the pandemic hit. Today they finally opened the building fur guests but you're not allowed to browse the material, only complete certain services. I'd really hate to see that cache go. Thanks for the report of how your reviewer is handling this. I'm assuming the same for mine.

I'm in the exact opposite situation.  My city's library is closed for Covid but later this fall they're going to close to renovate so I hope I can get in there and get the final to keep at home rather than "hope" that the librarians refile it as they re-open, but that could be 6-9 months down the road.  As a plus, when I adopted this one, I talked to the head librarian and she gave it an official Dewey Decimal number and logged it into their system.  I probably don't need to get it as it's an "official" book now but I think I'd feel better about it if I did get it.  All that uncertainty.....

• Upvote 1

You're not alone, Johnny -- COPD here, and not a good mix.  But I'm being sensible when I'm out for this hobby, and am avoiding encountering people.  Sitting around isn't good for my condition, either.

As I say, it looks like you own a pretty nice set of non-urban caches there, most of which should keep you well away from any crowds.  As noted, the reviewers are cutting everyone some slack right now, but if your caches allow you to get out and enjoy yourself and do a little maintenance, I wouldn't hesitate.  Just be careful.

Edited by ecanderson
  • Helpful 1