Feature suggestion: link to geocache log in some kind of trackable logs

Tungstène

Hi everyone,

I'd like to pass along a suggestion made by @Félicie11 in a French-speaking forum thread.

The suggestion is to automatically create a link to the geocache log in which a trackable object has been deposited/withdrawn/etc.

And Félicie11 explains: "Today you log a TB or a Geocoin by selecting deposit, visit or take it while logging a geocache. An additional log is then automatically written on the travelling object's page, but without any text in it and especially not the text you wrote for the geocache log. The trackable log remains usually blank since almost no one takes the time to reopen the trackable page to leave a specific additional comment. I think it would be nice to be able to display the log (with any pictures) that was made on the cache page during the action."

• Upvote 3

If no one "takes the time" to write a mention on a trackable, what makes anyone think they  bothered to even mention that trackable in their geocaching Found It log ?   

Just like swag swaps, we see few mention drop/retrieve, and none mention "visit" in their geocaching logs.  What good is seeing TFTC?  

All trackable logs already have a link to the cache where the trackable was/is now,  or who's hands it's in.

If folks really want to see who, what, when, where, and why, they can look on that cache page, right ?  :)

Edited by cerberus1
splleling

In instances where the TB log is generated alongside the cache log, it could be nice to even just have a link to the associated log when viewing the TB log. Much like gallery photos have a 'View Log' option. Why not have that for TB logs as well (where a linked log is known)?

On 5/31/2020 at 4:34 PM, cerberus1 said:

If folks really want to see who, what, when, where, and why, they can look on that cache page, right ?  :)

@cerberus1

Sure we can look at the cache page but it's often long. I don't travel a lot, but my TB's do! I like to discover where my TBs travel around and what happened when they come to or left a cache and for this I have to open every cache page and search the right date of the log (without a date search function it could be long...).

It's just an idea for optimizing it.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Félicie11 said:

Sure we can look at the cache page but it's often long. I don't travel a lot, but my TB's do!

I like to discover where my TBs travel around and what happened when they come to or left a cache and for this I have to open every cache page and search the right date of the log (without a date search function it could be long...).

It's just an idea for optimizing it.

By clicking on "View Logbook" on the cache page link already supplied with trackable movement, it takes seconds to find a log.   :)

No offense, but "taking too long" to view the movements of half-a-dozen trackables (I feel) is reaching...

5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

By clicking on "View Logbook" on the cache page link already supplied with trackable movement, it takes seconds to find a log.   :)

No offense, but "taking too long" to view the movements of half-a-dozen trackables (I feel) is reaching...

Sorry for my english, it is'nt very good, so perhaps you cannot understand what I try to say.

You say "By clicking on "View Logbook" on the cache page link already supplied with trackable movement, it takes seconds to find a log."

Ok, but which log you found? It's the TB log, most time blank for you have to reopen the trackable page to leave a comment there when you drop or take it. And you have to spend a bit of time to find the correspondant cache log, even more if the log date is far ago.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Félicie11 said:

Sorry for my english, it is'nt very good, so perhaps you cannot understand what I try to say.

You say "By clicking on "View Logbook" on the cache page link already supplied with trackable movement, it takes seconds to find a log."

Ok, but which log you found? It's the TB log, most time blank for you have to reopen the trackable page to leave a comment there when you drop or take it. And you have to spend a bit of time to find the correspondant cache log, even more if the log date is far ago.

Every movement of the trackable  has the date it was retrieved/dropped/visited, and a  link for that cache.

- Even on that "blank"  one that has no other information....    :)

On 5/31/2020 at 4:34 PM, cerberus1 said:

16 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

What do you mean with seconds?

With that pagination (introduced long ago) it is extremely cumbersome to find a *specific* log within an old listing with hundreds of logs with or without using the "View Logbook".

Not for TBs (as the TO) but in general I often like to read what specific cacher had to say about a cache. And this takes time to achieve.

• Upvote 6
13 hours ago, Hynz said:

With that pagination (introduced long ago) it is extremely cumbersome to find a *specific* log within an old listing with hundreds of logs with or without using the "View Logbook".

@Hynz is right, it's just this problem I tried to show.

@cerberus1, try by yourself: go to this log page of the nano geocoin TB7XRE7:  https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=aaa5efa6-6988-4fe3-816e-9c96897f6417

Now count the time you need to know what happened to milo81000 when he found this cache...

There's another solution perhaps: add a date search fonction for the logs on the cache page...

27 minutes ago, Félicie11 said:

@cerberus1, try by yourself: go to this log page of the nano geocoin TB7XRE7:  https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=aaa5efa6-6988-4fe3-816e-9c96897f6417

Now count the time you need to know what happened to milo81000 when he found this cache...

I agree with your point and would love to see the link you're suggesting, but perhaps this wasn't the best example: it took me about 20 seconds to go to the cache page and scroll down the logs to 5/17/2019. But I've encountered much more difficult cases with a more frequently visited cache or the desired log being much further in the past, so I do see the value of the direct link. There is a serious problem with a direct link to that specific log: as often as not, I'm interested in the logs from *after* the TB was dropped, not just the specific log associated with the drop. Because there's no way to jump from an individual cache log to the cache's list of logs, you'd still need to scroll or page through the list to see any nearby logs.

31 minutes ago, Félicie11 said:

There's another solution perhaps: add a date search fonction for the logs on the cache page...

The date search would certainly be handy in a lot of situations, including this one, and I like to imagine that it would put me in the list at that date, thus allowing me to see the logs *around* the specific log associated with the TB action.

• Upvote 2

When I'm looking for a specific log way back in history, I scroll to load a chunk of logs, then do a text search for the username (for eg). No match? Load some more logs. Rinse repeat until there's a match. 

Still, tedious compared to simply including a "View Cache Log" link...

• Upvote 1