Copycat!

We are a very small group of Danish waymarkers. During the Corona crisis the activity has increased and a lot of new waymarks have been published. Wonderful!

But one of the active waymarkers noticed something strange.

A few years ago another Danish waymarker published a single waymark. But before it was published (after it was sent to review) 3 other waymarks using his text and pictures were published in other categories for the same object.

I can't tell if the "copycat-waymarker" actually visited Denmark and simply wanted to publish a few waymarks in Denmark. But I find it a bit strange using someone else's pictures and text?

What do you think? I like waymarks to be published in Denmark, but  find it a bit unfair to the Danish guy who did all the work.

What should be done about this?

Let me hear your opinion.

kallehaugerne

7 minutes ago, kallehaugerne said:

But before it was published (after it was sent to review) 3 other waymarks using his text and pictures were published in other categories for the same object.

How???

This behavior is not ok. I've seen an officer look the other way "because I don't want to deal with so-and-so". Most officers WILL take appropriate action, and I suggest this waymarker whose photos and text were copied contact the officers. It's not ok to do this.

1 hour ago, kallehaugerne said:

But before it was published (after it was sent to review) 3 other waymarks using his text and pictures were published in other categories for the same object.

If the Waymark was sent to review, but not published, the only people who can see it are the Waymarker and officers in that category...

Only 'oddball' I can think of is: Did the Waymark page get sent to Uncategorised Waymarks at any point? Others can see it there and make Waymarks from the page.

2 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

If the Waymark was sent to review, but not published, the only people who can see it are the Waymarker and officers in that category...

Only 'oddball' I can think of is: Did the Waymark page get sent to Uncategorised Waymarks at any point? Others can see it there and make Waymarks from the page.

I know what you mean, but I remember many years ago, (I'll see if I can find the forum thread), I learned that once I create a waymark, anyone searching for the right phrases can see it, including all my gibberish that I use as a placeholder. I wasn't happy to read that.

But I know the chances of that happening are slim, but it is a possibility, according to the forum thread from years ago. This is going to be a fun search.

I know I have been harping on this lately as it has been a bone of contention with me, especially after the Mingo signage fiasco, but here goes.  When someone posts a picture on a website like Facebook or even Waymarking or Geocaching, the original poster of the picture is considered to have a copyright on that picture.  Someone else just can't go and use it.  When someone posts a waymark, there are two little checkmarks we tick each and every time - they aren't there for show.  We, the posting waymarkers, are agreeing to Terms of Service which include that we are using original noncopyrighted material, among other things.  We cannot try to use copyright material in a way that we deem an "Unconventional Material" .  I would be seriously upset if someone had taken my work like that to post in other categories while I was still trying to post.

• Upvote 2