Submit to Publication Time

How long do you expect to wait in your area from the time you Submit a cache for approval until it is Published by a Reviewer? I was active from around 2005-2010, then took a hiatus, but I remember it as usually being not more than a day or so, (if not hours). What have your experiences been?

3 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

How long do you expect to wait in your area from the time you Submit a cache for approval until it is Published by a Reviewer? I was active from around 2005-2010, then took a hiatus, but I remember it as usually being not more than a day or so, (if not hours). What have your experiences been?

What does it say in the email you got thanking you for submitting a cache? 

In my area you can wait anytime from 3 minutes to a month depending on the complexity of the cache. 

10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

What does it say in the email you got thanking you for submitting a cache? 

In my area you can wait anytime from 3 minutes to a month depending on the complexity of the cache. 

I have not received anything officially Thanking Me, just a log update similar to this screengrab. Could I have borked the submission somehow? My profile still shows three caches as Unpublished.

Capture.JPG

Review process

A local reviewer checks your cache page against our guidelines and regional policies, but does not visit the physical location of your cache. Typically, review begins within 7 days of the date that you submit your cache. But reviews may take longer in the week before or after holidays and large geocaching events.

Tip: Make sure to submit your cache page for review. If it is not submitted, you will find the cache page on your dashboard under Unpublished hides.

Communicate with your reviewer

The reviewer may post a “reviewer note” or “disable” log with questions or concerns on the cache page. Work with your reviewer and make the necessary edits to your cache page so that it can be published. Answer your reviewer’s questions and confirm that you made the required changes.

Select Respond to answer your reviewer’s questions, or select Edit cache to make the necessary changes to bring your cache page to a publishable state. Make sure to Resubmit for review after you finished your edits.

I also thought the email upon submitting a cache mentioned the 7 days. Do check again TO. If you've not received an email that you submitted a cache please check that your email address for geocaching is still up to date. As a cache owner you need to react to logs where needed. Plus your reviewer might have a comment on your cache placement during review, and then you also don't get notified.

Other than that: some areas/regions/countries are still in full lockdown and no caches get published to start with.

4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Review process

A local reviewer checks your cache page against our guidelines and regional policies, but does not visit the physical location of your cache. Typically, review begins within 7 days of the date that you submit your cache. But reviews may take longer in the week before or after holidays and large geocaching events.

Tip: Make sure to submit your cache page for review. If it is not submitted, you will find the cache page on your dashboard under Unpublished hides.

Communicate with your reviewer

The reviewer may post a “reviewer note” or “disable” log with questions or concerns on the cache page. Work with your reviewer and make the necessary edits to your cache page so that it can be published. Answer your reviewer’s questions and confirm that you made the required changes.

Select Respond to answer your reviewer’s questions, or select Edit cache to make the necessary changes to bring your cache page to a publishable state. Make sure to Resubmit for review after you finished your edits.

Oh, I SEE. You're one of those wise guys that reads the rules, eh? :) That screengrab isn't wholly accurate, actually. Let me clarify: I first submitted on the 23rd, then disabled/resubmitted on the 26th when I decided to make it Premium, THEN (because I was bored) disabled/resubmitted to add a background tile to the Cache Page. So in essence, it has been out there since the 23rd. Does a resubmit somehow push it back in the Publication queue?

Thanks for your feedback!

9 minutes ago, terratin said:

I also thought the email upon submitting a cache mentioned the 7 days. Do check again TO. If you've not received an email that you submitted a cache please check that your email address for geocaching is still up to date. As a cache owner you need to react to logs where needed. Plus your reviewer might have a comment on your cache placement during review, and then you also don't get notified.

Other than that: some areas/regions/countries are still in full lockdown and no caches get published to start with.

Understood. I had this same hide out in another location when I learned no new hides were allowed, so I went and picked it up

. On the 22nd, a slew of new ones were released, so I re-hid this on the 23rd.

Just now, Lostboy1966 said:

Oh, I SEE. You're one of those wise guys that reads the rules, eh? :) That screengrab isn't wholly accurate, actually. Let me clarify: I first submitted on the 23rd, then disabled/resubmitted on the 26th when I decided to make it Premium, THEN (because I was bored) disabled/resubmitted to add a background tile to the Cache Page. So in essence, it has been out there since the 23rd. Does a resubmit somehow push it back in the Publication queue?

If your reviewer sorts the queue of unpublished caches according to the "last update," and then looks at the ones that have sat untouched for the longest, then making minor edits to the cache page can indeed put it further down in the list.

I confirmed that the OP has two caches correctly positioned in the review queue.  One is near the top of the queue, and the other is near the bottom.  There are more than 100 caches awaiting review in Connecticut, as Reviewers work through the backlog that accumulated during the period when new publications were restricted by COVID-19 public health orders.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4
43 minutes ago, terratin said:

Now I understand why there are so many forum threads asking this question! The email doesn't say much. 

Here's what the email notification used to say:

Cache submit email.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 2