Wording on customs form sending oversea's Geocoin Travel Bugs?

Hughie250

What wording do geocachers use on the customs form when sending a Geocoin or Travel Bug oversea's? Apparently the word "Token" is prohibited and restricted if sending from Canada to Australia. At least it was in my case. I had gift and geocaching game tokens (5). I was sending it registered no signature. Any one have a solution or experience?

First, ask the trackable owners if they're OK with their game pieces being mailed overseas.

Then, maybe "geocaching game pieces"? Or depending on what they are, "plastic/metal toys" or "keychains" (essentially that could be what many of the TB tags are). It's more trying to describe the item than its obscure use, IMHO.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Rincewind3 said:

I usually just put "game piece".  I tried Geocoin once: you should have seen the reaction in the post office!  Not easy to explain that "coin" in this instance does not refer to legal tender.

I've had "Game Piece" by the company sending coins. Canada to UK.

(Purchase of Geocoins from company selling them)

• Helpful 1
15 hours ago, TriciaG said:

First, ask the trackable owners if they're OK with their game pieces being mailed overseas.

Then, maybe "geocaching game pieces"? Or depending on what they are, "plastic/metal toys" or "keychains" (essentially that could be what many of the TB tags are). It's more trying to describe the item than its obscure use, IMHO.

Thanks for answering. Yes I now have learned that I should ask the trackable owner if I can move it by mail oversea's. My intention was to try and get it closer to the owners home country. He found my trackable and I asked if he could send it back to me, in return I was sending him an unactivated coin. 

Geocaching game pieces and a more detailed description may help me get it there and if the trackable owner would let me send it. 

6 hours ago, Hughie250 said:

Thank you for answering my question. Token was what triggered the problem for me. I had a cost of it at $30.00.

Just so that we(me) understand did you place the cost/value of the coin at $30 or was that the cost of sending it?

I ask because at a value of $30 it may trigger a sales tax or customs tax.

23 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:
On 6/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, hzoi said:

"Coin" in any form will set off another discussion you don't want.

Imagine the fun when it's a box of a few hundred geocoins (for a mega event) coming into the country and you mention to the customs agent "geocoin" and then have to have that whole discussion... :laughing:

Well, either they released you eventually, or they're nice enough to allow you internet access from tax prison, so I guess it didn't end too badly.  :anibad:

• Funny 1
On 6/23/2020 at 1:00 AM, fox-and-the-hound said:

One minor adjustment to the wording is to say "Metal Game Token".  International is apparently often x-rayed and your coin may be pulled anyway if this isn't specified.  I've been issue free for about 6 or 7 years now with using that particular wording.

Excellent point.  I have changed to Game Piece as per a suggestion above.  I may change that to Metal Game Piece to further lower the risk.