A Geocaching Vlog questions??

Hello Everyone,

Ok so to start I know there are currently some geocaching vlogs out there!  I just have questions about doing one.  I have two young girls who love to cache and have wanted to do a vlog for a while so the idea came up we can do one with geocaching.  My questions are would a cache owner be ok with the locations being shown?  I have given it some thought and the plan would be to have a spoiler disclaimer at the beginning of the video and then not say the geocache name or GCXXXX in the videos.  Im just super curious if this is ok or if cache owners would be ok with this?  Myself I would be fine since i think what are the odds the people watching are in my area and even then they need to do the work to figure out which cache we are at.  I just wanted to try and get some extra input so any help would be appreciated so thanks!!

3 minutes ago, Krux151 said:

Hello Everyone,

Ok so to start I know there are currently some geocaching vlogs out there!  I just have questions about doing one.  I have two young girls who love to cache and have wanted to do a vlog for a while so the idea came up we can do one with geocaching.  My questions are would a cache owner be ok with the locations being shown?  I have given it some thought and the plan would be to have a spoiler disclaimer at the beginning of the video and then not say the geocache name or GCXXXX in the videos.  Im just super curious if this is ok or if cache owners would be ok with this?  Myself I would be fine since i think what are the odds the people watching are in my area and even then they need to do the work to figure out which cache we are at.  I just wanted to try and get some extra input so any help would be appreciated so thanks!!

I would not be ok with someone spoiling my puzzle final. 

You'd be amazed at how many hints you can get to find a cache, of any kind, just from logs and photos on a cache page. I would think a vlog, even more so. 

But on the other hand, everyone's doing it on so many different platforms! 

The sounds like a really fun activity for your kids and you to do together.

50 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I would not be ok with someone spoiling my puzzle final. 

You'd be amazed at how many hints you can get to find a cache, of any kind, just from logs and photos on a cache page. I would think a vlog, even more so. 

But on the other hand, everyone's doing it on so many different platforms! 

The sounds like a really fun activity for your kids and you to do together.

So what if it was only traditional and say earth caches?  That way it excludes the hard ones that can easily be passed then?

18 minutes ago, Krux151 said:

So what if it was only traditional and say earth caches?  That way it excludes the hard ones that can easily be passed then?

Earth caches would be spoiled if you showed the information needed to answer the questions.

According to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.”

Technically, Groundspeak's TOU don't apply to what you do on other sites, but it still gives a good idea of how you should behave when it comes to anything that might be a spoiler.

• Upvote 2

As the builder of gadget caches, I really don''t appreciate Vloggers who decide to publish spoilers without asking. Those that have asked have been told no. I want the cacher to experience that "ah hah" moment. In most cases I'd be open to video of the outside of the cache, but NOT the opening of the cache. In my opinion, if you're going to publish video of geocaches on social media, you owe it to the cache owner to ASK PERMISSION FIRST.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Vooruit! said:

Why not just ask the respective cache owners?

So this is always an option, most people just dont answer messages and dont respond.  Plus it would be alot depending on how many caches per video but yes this was definitely an option!

5 hours ago, Krux151 said:

My questions are would a cache owner be ok with the locations being shown?  I have given it some thought and the plan would be to have a spoiler disclaimer at the beginning of the video and then not say the geocache name or GCXXXX in the videos.  Im just super curious if this is ok or if cache owners would be ok with this?  Myself I would be fine since i think what are the odds the people watching are in my area and even then they need to do the work to figure out which cache we are at.  I just wanted to try and get some extra input so any help would be appreciated so thanks!!

As someone who does geovlogs regularly and over 2 years now, I'll give you some input...

There's no definitive answer. First and foremost - respect the work of people who create things (physical caches or puzzles) with the intent for people to discover and enjoy. Think of the golden rule - even if it seems like a dumb response from an owner, think of them first; it's not worth the drama.

Secondly, permission goes a long way. There are many COs who won't mind having their geocache highlighted. There are many COs who won't mind if asked first but could throw a fit if they discover it themselves. There are many COs who simply will say no on principle. Be prepared for all responses.

Thirdly, decide whether it's worth sharing or worth the hassle in the first place. Some have the opinion that cookie-cutter caches, mundane hides, commonplace unoriginal ideas are basically fair game, public domain, and no one ever has an issue.

Also consider there are two types of spoilers:

1. Spoiling a specific cache - the owner has created it (puzzle or container) to be worked on and worked through, and if the answer gets out, guaranteed it will lose its 'lustre' (even if only by the cache owner's opinion), and may even cause them to archive the cache in frustration because no one is 'solving' or 'searching' the intended way.

2. Spoiling an idea for the finder. Have you ever had that 'aha' moment the first time you found a type of cache or worked out how to solve a new puzzle? This is the type of spoiler for which "viewer discretion / spoiler warning" is most effective a label. Even if you have owner permission to show the cache, it could still spoil the experience for a finder, so giving them a choice not to watch if they don't want the idea spoiled is a good thing.

Personally, I prefer highlighting the experience of the cache moreso than specific geocache containers. My stance is mixed up in the above comments. I generally don't go out of my way to get permission before filming a geocaching experience, but if I feel like there's something that could be considered "spoiler-y" then I'll check in with the CO, if I still really want to publish a video about it. If I do identify a cache, it's either with permission, or I don't believe it will be an issue (as a cache owner myself, I'm pretty sensitive about spoilers, so I like to think I can understand).  So far at least, I've had no issues. I tend to avoid filming things like puzzle geocaches (solving a puzzle isn't as fun to watch anyway) and most puzzle cache finals aren't themselves all that interesting to watch; and showing them does tend to give away the location. So I vastly prefer vlogging the fun of geocaching, which is much more unique and personalized - everyone can have different experiences. 

IMO, if you'd like to start a vlog, go for it!  Just remember to think of others first, and thank those who create these geocaches and experiences for you and all of us to enjoy. (many of us vloggers recently held a #IHeartGCHiders trend, encouraging people to thank cache owners more consciously!).  It certainly doesn't hurt to ask permission before publishing any video (and heck, sometimes they'll be okay with some content. just not showing 'too much' about a cache).  And these days you can add a spoiler warning if you like, but really, if you're watching a geocaching video online, you should expect to see ideas you haven't seen before, and be aware you may be missing out on those special personal 'eureka!' moments of discovery :).

If you have any questions, by all means contact me, I'd love to give you some tips and feedback = )  I'm sure you know of The Geocaching Vlogger (who gets permission for every geocache he shows on video) - he's kind of the grand-daddy of the geovlogger community that exists now on youtube.  It's a great community :)

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

As someone who does geovlogs regularly and over 2 years now, I'll give you some input...

There's no definitive answer. First and foremost - respect the work of people who create things (physical caches or puzzles) with the intent for people to discover and enjoy. Think of the golden rule - even if it seems like a dumb response from an owner, think of them first; it's not worth the drama.

Secondly, permission goes a long way. There are many COs who won't mind having their geocache highlighted. There are many COs who won't mind if asked first but could throw a fit if they discover it themselves. There are many COs who simply will say no on principle. Be prepared for all responses.

Thirdly, decide whether it's worth sharing or worth the hassle in the first place. Some have the opinion that cookie-cutter caches, mundane hides, commonplace unoriginal ideas are basically fair game, public domain, and no one ever has an issue.

Also consider there are two types of spoilers:

1. Spoiling a specific cache - the owner has created it (puzzle or container) to be worked on and worked through, and if the answer gets out, guaranteed it will lose its 'lustre' (even if only by the cache owner's opinion), and may even cause them to archive the cache in frustration because no one is 'solving' or 'searching' the intended way.

2. Spoiling an idea for the finder. Have you ever had that 'aha' moment the first time you found a type of cache or worked out how to solve a new puzzle? This is the type of spoiler for which "viewer discretion / spoiler warning" is most effective a label. Even if you have owner permission to show the cache, it could still spoil the experience for a finder, so giving them a choice not to watch if they don't want the idea spoiled is a good thing.

Personally, I prefer highlighting the experience of the cache moreso than specific geocache containers. My stance is mixed up in the above comments. I generally don't go out of my way to get permission before filming a geocaching experience, but if I feel like there's something that could be considered "spoiler-y" then I'll check in with the CO, if I still really want to publish a video about it. If I do identify a cache, it's either with permission, or I don't believe it will be an issue (as a cache owner myself, I'm pretty sensitive about spoilers, so I like to think I can understand).  So far at least, I've had no issues. I tend to avoid filming things like puzzle geocaches (solving a puzzle isn't as fun to watch anyway) and most puzzle cache finals aren't themselves all that interesting to watch; and showing them does tend to give away the location. So I vastly prefer vlogging the fun of geocaching, which is much more unique and personalized - everyone can have different experiences. 

IMO, if you'd like to start a vlog, go for it!  Just remember to think of others first, and thank those who create these geocaches and experiences for you and all of us to enjoy. (many of us vloggers recently held a #IHeartGCHiders trend, encouraging people to thank cache owners more consciously!).  It certainly doesn't hurt to ask permission before publishing any video (and heck, sometimes they'll be okay with some content. just not showing 'too much' about a cache).  And these days you can add a spoiler warning if you like, but really, if you're watching a geocaching video online, you should expect to see ideas you haven't seen before, and be aware you may be missing out on those special personal 'eureka!' moments of discovery :).

If you have any questions, by all means contact me, I'd love to give you some tips and feedback = )  I'm sure you know of The Geocaching Vlogger (who gets permission for every geocache he shows on video) - he's kind of the grand-daddy of the geovlogger community that exists now on youtube.  It's a great community :)

Can I just say thank you so much!!  I did not expect to get an answer like this so I really appreciate it!!  If I have any questions I will for sure reach out and again thank you very much!

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Secondly, permission goes a long way.

I am reminded of "Weird Al" Yankovic's policy of always obtaining permission for his parodies. Technically, he doesn't need permission for a parody, but he gets it anyway. And after one particular incident, he started contacting artists directly, rather than relying on permission from their agents.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, niraD said:

I am reminded of "Weird Al" Yankovic's policy of always obtaining permission for his parodies. Technically, he doesn't need permission for a parody, but he gets it anyway. And after one particular incident, he started contacting artists directly, rather than relying on permission from their agents.

For sure. Permission isn't always needed (some COs will give you a greenlight for any of their hides), but if it's not a big deal to check first, it can mean a lot and certainly puts you in a good light with the community :)

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Krux151 said:

I have two young girls who love to cache and have wanted to do a vlog for a while so the idea came up we can do one with geocaching. 

My questions are would a cache owner be ok with the locations being shown? 

I have given it some thought and the plan would be to have a spoiler disclaimer at the beginning of the video and then not say the geocache name or GCXXXX in the videos. 

Im just super curious if this is ok or if cache owners would be ok with this? 

Myself I would be fine since i think what are the odds the people watching are in my area and even then they need to do the work to figure out which cache we are at.  I just wanted to try and get some extra input so any help would be appreciated so thanks!!

Some people are already stressed that some jerks are placing all their trackable codes on faceboook for hundreds to "discover" without their permission.

It would be a nice thing to do if you'd ask about this thing first.   Caches are someone else's property.  You're just visiting.

"most people just dont answer messages and dont respond." isn't you asking....

We know a CO that has caches in sensitive areas.  They haven't had enough cachers visiting the areas to worry the landowner.

A "vlog" , maybe drawing more people than what they and the landowner agreed on, could get it archived.  Nice if you'd ask first.

A "spoiler disclaimer" simply tells everyone you probably have a spoiler in your video... Many can figure which cache it is in minutes.

Some here in the forums have magically shown links to caches,  when a person didn't know if a container even is a cache.  

Gadgets, any cache that has a field puzzle, any virtuals...  they all have what could amount to a spoiler if viewed by others.

No offense, but you haven't owned a cache in some time. 

You don't really know how you'd react to someone showing everyone who'll view their "vlog" where your property is hidden... 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

As you can tell, it's a very contentious, heated topic in the general community, mainly because there are have been individuals in the past who pretty much gave a finger to anyone who cared about their own 'intellectual property' as it were, and providing an unspoiled experience. It always tends to be the problematic few that ruin it for the majority. And forum comments can also be very blunt. Like I said, consider what others will think first, proceed with caution, and that's your best starting point. :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
17 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Some people are already stressed that some jerks are placing all their trackable codes on faceboook for hundreds to "discover" without their permission.

It would be a nice thing to do if you'd ask about this thing first.   Caches are someone else's property.  You're just visiting.

"most people just dont answer messages and dont respond." isn't you asking....

We know a CO that has caches in sensitive areas.  They haven't had enough cachers visiting the areas to worry the landowner.

A "vlog" , maybe drawing more people than what they and the landowner agreed on, could get it archived.  Nice if you'd ask first.

A "spoiler disclaimer" simply tells everyone you probably have a spoiler in your video... Many can figure which cache it is in minutes.

Some here in the forums have magically shown links to caches,  when a person didn't know if a container even is a cache.  

Gadgets, any cache that has a field puzzle, any virtuals...  they all have what could amount to a spoiler if viewed by others.

No offense, but you haven't owned a cache in some time. 

You don't really know how you'd react to someone showing everyone who'll view their "vlog" where your property is hidden... 

at what point did I say I wouldnt ask?? I mean you just sound rude to begin with.  I would mainly just stick to traditional caches anyway.  And yes i know EXACTLY how id react.  You really did not make any point at all with your post and where did trackables come from?  Your comment is mainly shady assumptions which I guess you have been around so I can under stand your concern.  I did say I havent done a video yet because I wanted to get more information which I think you missed that part.  By all means if you would like to add any actual information I would really appreciate it but sounding rude and not fully reading isnt helping at this point in time......

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2