Geocaching in NJ

We can't see unpublished caches.    :)  

- But yep.     Some are opening bit-by-bit.  It's apparently up to our governors. 

We've been open for placements, just no urban stuff, areas where there's a lotta people.    Woods and large park trails mostly.  

17 hours ago, Ocean5000 said:

We were trying to place an earthcache: The Parsippany Rock House (GC8R134).  The reviewer said that NJ isn't currently publishing geocaches.  Is this similar thing happening in other states/countries as well?

Yes.  Germany wasn't publishing new caches from March to May - in fact, that was true for much of Europe.  Only recently has it started back up.

New Jersey seems to be in the minority of states that is still enforcing restrictions.  It seems like most states put restrictions in place well after Europe did - and lifted them well before Europe did. 

I'm really hoping that we don't experience a second lockdown after we move back to the US this summer.  I can't help thinking that infection rates and deaths are going to start going back up if people just go back to business as usual before the outbreak has run its course.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Helpful 3
13 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

Our state (Florida) stopped publishing for the month of april, but now is back to all caches publishing. This is a good place to find the latest updates for most states on publishing.

Not for New Jersey:

Created by OReviewer, last modified on May 23, 2016

:lol:

Here is a map of North America showing current caching policies: https://www.tephra.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/NorthAmerica.png
Links to other maps in this thread: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/356154-map-of-cache-publishing-policies/

Edited by TriciaG
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, hzoi said:
23 hours ago, Ocean5000 said:

We were trying to place an earthcache: The Parsippany Rock House (GC8R134).  The reviewer said that NJ isn't currently publishing geocaches.  Is this similar thing happening in other states/countries as well?

Yes.  Germany wasn't publishing new caches from March to May - in fact, that was true for much of Europe.  Only recently has it started back up.

New Jersey seems to be in the minority of states that is still enforcing restrictions.  It seems like most states put restrictions in place well after Europe did - and lifted them well before Europe did. 

That's not too surprising.  If you look at the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus map of the US by county (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map)  the counties with the highest number of confirmed cases are a dark purple.  The entire state of New Jersey is dark purple.  Although New York City and a few other areas of the state are also dark purple, a good portion of the state (and where I live) are able to begin a phase 1 back to normalcy.   However, normalcy is relative.   I work as a software developer at a major university and even though I'll remain employed (and have been working) full time, I might not ever return to working on campus.   That's the new normal.