Pineapple cache

Hi everyone! I am looking to create a pineapple shaped cache. I have looked on Amazon and having trouble finding one that would work. Has anyone created one? I am planning on hiding it in an evergreen tree so it has to be a small or micro. Can anyone give any ideas about how to create one using materials that I can find? 

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, psychpineapple said:

Hi everyone! I am looking to create a pineapple shaped cache. I have looked on Amazon and having trouble finding one that would work. Has anyone created one? I am planning on hiding it in an evergreen tree so it has to be a small or micro. Can anyone give any ideas about how to create one using materials that I can find? 

Thanks!

Are you going to try to PSYCH everyone out with your cache?

• Funny 2
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We looked once, a pineapple in a tree with pinecones seemed fun,  but most we found were ceramic or brass.  Fragile or big bucks.

We lost interest, but IIRC (and found it  :-),   we did find a company  that had plastic ones.     You'll have to paint them...

That's a cool looking piece, but a little big - 6" x 3" - it might be pushing regular size.

2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Are you going to try to PSYCH everyone out with your cache?

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I think he should hide the pineapple in a blueberry bush

The OP is a fan of the TV show Psych, as am I.  One of the many fun things about the show Psych is that there is a pineapple in each episode.  From IMDB: "As a running gag, in every episode, you'll find a pineapple, the word "delicious", a fist bump, the phrase, "I can't do this right now", and the question "What?" "

Yes, I am very much a Psych-o! It has been my favorite show for many years and I have seen every episode many times and still find it to be hilarious :) 

I am looking to do a Psych puzzle in my hometown and I am really hoping I can find a pineapple shaped cache. I just think that would be amazing! I am on the look out for a pineapple. I considered doing 3D printing, because I have access to it at our library for free, but I have to wait for this to be over because they are not open yet. I googled it a bit and some people say that 3D printing may not be suitable for a cache. Thoughts?

Edited by psychpineapple
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, psychpineapple said:

hoping I can find a pineapple shaped cache.

Look in party stores for plastic drink containers and decor, especially luau decorations, and in stores that have a large variety of plastic drink glasses.  And look in thrift stores.

You’ll have more options if you’re using the pineapple as just a cover or camo or decoration for a more standard Geocaching container.

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

The OP is a fan of the TV show Psych, as am I.  One of the many fun things about the show Psych is that there is a pineapple in each episode.  From IMDB: "As a running gag, in every episode, you'll find a pineapple, the word "delicious", a fist bump, the phrase, "I can't do this right now", and the question "What?" "

What is the name of this car?

1595_0-1.jpg

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, psychpineapple said:

Yes, I am very much a Psych-o! It has been my favorite show for many years and I have seen every episode many times and still find it to be hilarious :) 

I am looking to do a Psych puzzle in my hometown and I am really hoping I can find a pineapple shaped cache. I just think that would be amazing! I am on the look out for a pineapple. I considered doing 3D printing, because I have access to it at our library for free, but I have to wait for this to be over because they are not open yet. I googled it a bit and some people say that 3D printing may not be suitable for a cache. Thoughts?

A search for "plastic pineapple" provide many options.   It would be easy to drill a hole from the bottom to fit in a bison tube,  film pot, or even a soda preform (aka petling in Europe) if the fake pineapple was large enough.  

First of all, that is a picture from one of the best episodes, and the reason I fell in love with the show (seriously, watched one episode before (Shawn rescues darth vader), then watched Last Night Gus, and went back to the pilot and watched the series!

Second. I got the "blueberry" comment but I wasn't sure if that was from a person that knew the reference.

:)

I actually found a water bottle from a drug store that was shaped like a pineapple. It is a bit bigger than I wanted and I wasn't sure if that was a good container. I opened it and it seemed pretty secure so I may end up getting that once I find a good spot. I am trying to find a location that somehow fits with the show. So far trying out Spencer drive :)

4 hours ago, psychpineapple said:

... some people say that 3D printing may not be suitable for a cache. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I've heard it both ways. 

My latest Cache have several gadgets, and three of them was 3D printed.

Up to now, two 3D printed gadgets are suitable.

For example one of them was a part from a  digital sundial which do there another job.

The part have no mechanical stress and is too difficult to make from stainless steel or stones. Ideal for 3D printing.

That Box looks nice and i like the mechanism very much, but it is not solid enough for geocachers. After a few crashes and a few modifications, I gave up.

Greeting Johannis10

15 hours ago, psychpineapple said:

First of all, that is a picture from one of the best episodes, and the reason I fell in love with the show (seriously, watched one episode before (Shawn rescues darth vader), then watched Last Night Gus, and went back to the pilot and watched the series!

Second. I got the "blueberry" comment but I wasn't sure if that was from a person that knew the reference.

:)

I actually found a water bottle from a drug store that was shaped like a pineapple. It is a bit bigger than I wanted and I wasn't sure if that was a good container. I opened it and it seemed pretty secure so I may end up getting that once I find a good spot. I am trying to find a location that somehow fits with the show. So far trying out Spencer drive :)

Last Night Gus was my favorite episode.  None other came close.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:02 PM, psychpineapple said:

say that 3D printing may not be suitable for a cache. Thoughts?

I have 3D printed a few caches now and hid them, I have printed this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2670062 and put the log in a bison tube in the middle of the cache just to make sure that the log doesn't get wet. But I think I could of managed without one. I have also printed a acorn cache (image attached), and I could not fit a bison tube in the cache, so I just put a log in, however, this is my only 3D printed cache that I have had a problem with getting wet. If I put the log in a micro it probably would have been okay.

Acorn.jpg

Puzzle.jpg

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, isaac7437 said:

I have 3D printed a few caches now and hid them, I have printed this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2670062 and put the log in a bison tube in the middle of the cache just to make sure that the log doesn't get wet. But I think I could of managed without one. I have also printed a acorn cache (image attached), and I could not fit a bison tube in the cache, so I just put a log in, however, this is my only 3D printed cache that I have had a problem with getting wet. If I put the log in a micro it probably would have been okay.

Acorn.jpg

Puzzle.jpg

Wow, awesome! I can hardly even tell that the fake acorn is 3D printed!

1 hour ago, SamLowrey said:

You could use this variety...

Since a cache container looking like this one would violate the guideline regarding containers looking like dangerous items and would likely lead to an account suspension for the CO who hid a container that looks like this (not to mention any potential law enforcement ramifications that may result), I'm going to go ahead and delete the photo, just so no one gets any dumb ideas from it.

• Upvote 1
On 5/27/2020 at 12:02 PM, psychpineapple said:

I googled it a bit and some people say that 3D printing may not be suitable for a cache. Thoughts?

Must all depend upon the polymer being used.  We have a couple of COs in our area that have been doing it for over a year now, and they seem to be holding well.