No more freebies in SC

weRlostNDwoods

Prepare to ante up when caching in SC state parks in the future.

icon_frown.gifAdmission soon will no longer be free at 29 South Carolina state parks.

The Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department says it will implement a $2 per person fee on Sept. 2 for all noncoastal parks.

Agency officials say the new fees should raise about $1 million.

The decision to raise fees come from a study of park operations mandated by lawmakers.

"The small investment made by our visitors is a critical part of the funding used to maintain and enhance our state park system," said Chad Prosser, director of the agency.

The fee at Myrtle Beach, Edisto Beach and Hunting Island will stay at $3, and Huntington Beach and Charles Towne Landing will charge $5, the agency said.

"Once they get past the initial shock of paying for a park they've never paid for before and start thinking about things, we hope they'll realize what value they get for $2," Phil Gaines, assistant director of state parks, said.

Some park enthusiasts don't like the idea of having to pay to get into all state parks.

"Maybe $1 or $2 isn't going to keep many people out, but $5 or $6 might," said Dell Isham, director of the South Carolina chapter of the Sierra Club. "The more you charge, the more you're getting away from the mission of the park service."

For some state parks, this is the second fee increase this year. Admission prices were increased by $1 per person at Huntington Beach, Edisto Beach, Myrtle Beach and Hunting Island and 50 cents at 11 other parks on Jan. 1.

Frequent park visitors can still find a bargain with the Palmetto Passport, which allows unlimited admission to all state parks.

It's $50 a year for adults, $25 for seniors.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cache.

quote:
"Once they get past the initial shock of paying for a park they've never paid for before and start thinking about things, we hope they'll start forking over more when we demand it, with a lot less whining and moping," Phil Gaines, assistant director of state parks, thought.

Oops did I say that out loud?

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

Yeah, there are a lot of parks here in Texas charging fees, usually something small, 2-3 dollars (well, unless you go to Matagorda Island State Park, then you're into some bucks!).

Mostly, it has been well worth it and I don't have any heartburn with the fees. We've got some great parks.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I have to agree with breaktrack about the parks in Texas, we do have some great ones. One thing that I have seen on the caches here, is that the person(s) placing the cache almost always tell if there is a fee to enter on the cache page. That way the cacher won't be suprised. And I for one do appreciate this before hand info, and I'm prepared for it.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

As far as I know, all MS state parks have a $2 fee. The fee is per vehicle (excluding buses and large vans) with up to 4 passengers. Each additional passenger is 50 cents more. The ones I frequent have had these fees for at least 15 years (and probably longer). I'm sure they all have had the fee for that long.

I have no problem with it. I'm glad they do this, it allows the people to use the parks to be responsible for some of the money needed to maintain the park - instead of depending totally on taxes.

It's really a small price to pay.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

As far as I know, all MS state parks have a $2 fee. The fee is per vehicle (excluding buses and large vans) with up to 4 passengers. Each additional passenger is 50 cents more. The ones I frequent have had these fees for at least 15 years (and probably longer). I'm sure they all have had the fee for that long.

I have no problem with it. I'm glad they do this, it allows the people to use the parks to be responsible for some of the money needed to maintain the park - instead of depending totally on taxes.

It's really a small price to pay.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

I agree with you completely, and I don't have a problem paying.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

For as long as I can remember all state parks in Louisiana have had a $2 per car, 50 cents for all pasangers over a total of 4, entrance fee. I am foutunate to have a pass due to my Disabled Vet status. But every other state I go to I have to pay to get into state parks. If I think about it I sorta paid in advance for that pass card. Anyway, entry fees for state parks are only new there. You shopuld feel lucke to have gotten away for free for this long, and enjoy the $2 while you can. I get the feeling all of them are soon going to be increasing their prices.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.