Memory Lane Souvenirs

Memory Lane Souvenirs

I took me a couple reads to understand the promotion. At first glance, I thought I'd get a souvenir for attending my first Mega. But no, I get a First Mega souvenir even though I've never attended a Mega event before. So far I'm not a big fan, but I do enjoy new promotions!

At Geocaching HQ, we’re honored to be part of the worldwide community of adventure-seekers known as geocachers. As we continue through the 20th year of geocaching, we invite you to take a trip down Memory Lane to celebrate the community and the milestones that have made geocaching what it is today! 

We realize not everyone is able to go out caching right now so we are doing things a little different this year. Memory Lane will start on June 1st and be available all year long through January 3, 2021. Move through the Memory Lane game board by finding different geocache types to collect points and earn up to five new souvenirs!

Memory Lane FAQs:

What are the five souvenirs I can earn?

1. First geocache hidden: 10 points
  2. First geocoin: 50 points
  3. First Mega-Event: 100 points
  4. First million geocaches hidden: 150 points
  5. 20 years of geocaching: 200 points

How can I earn points?

MemoryLanePoints.png

The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 10 points.

How do I participate?

From June 1, 2020 through January 3, 2021, collect points by logging geocaches. Earn up to five new souvenirs by collecting 200 points during the promotion period.

What about COVID-19?

As the Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) situation is evolving rapidly around the world, we encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Your health and safety are the top priority.

Our goal is to have a promotion that is both fun and safe. As such, we will continue to make any adjustments as needed so that the promotion is as inclusive as possible.

Why does Memory Lane last the rest of the year?

This extension of Memory Lane is to accommodate areas of the world that are facing stay-in-place mandates due to COVID-19, while also being accessible to those who can safely go geocaching.

We hope this extension of Memory Lane will allow geocachers around the world the ability to participate in the promotion at a later date, without feeling pressure to go geocaching when it is not safe to do so. 

Can I join Memory Lane at any time?

Of course! If you are not starting right away, you still have the chance to earn all five souvenirs as long as you collect enough points through January 3, 2021. Make sure to log your finds by January 6, 2021 noon UTC to earn souvenirs.

Where can I see my souvenirs?

As soon as you collect a certain number of points, the associated souvenir will automatically be awarded to your profile. The souvenirs appear on your profile on Geocaching.com and in the Geocaching® app under the souvenir tab.

Is Memory Lane in the Geocaching® app?

Memory Lane will temporarily be in the Geocaching® app starting with the beginning of Memory Lane on June 1, and will be accessible until January 11, 2021. Go to your profile and click on Memory Lane to see your progress in the Geocaching® app.

Do Adventure Lab Caches count towards earning points? 

Yes! You will earn five points for each Adventure Lab Cache you find.

Do points stack for an individual geocache find?

Points do not stack. For each geocache find, you will earn the higher amount of points available. So for example, if you find a Mystery Cache (worth 7 points in Memory Lane) with over 10 Favorite points (worth 10 points in Memory Lane), you will receive 10 points total. 

My points aren’t correct, help!

1. If you change a Write Note, DNF, or other log type to a Found it log, it will not be recognized in Memory Lane.
  2. You logged on Monday, June 1 before noon UTC (convert to your local time here). We suggest that you wait to log until AFTER Monday noon UTC – which in some places like New Zealand is Tuesday at midnight. Otherwise the points will not count for the first week.
  3. You saved a Draft on a Monday, June 1 before noon UTC.

If you have already posted your logs, select “View / Edit Log / Images”, then click the pen icon and “Submit Log Entry” on the website. Your logs should now be counted towards your total.

What does UTC stand for?

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the basis for civil time today. It is the time standard (not a time zone) commonly used across the world. You can convert UTC to your local time here.

Edited by Max and 99

I'm thinking that I will earn many of the souvenirs over the course of my normal caching.  I'm not sure I like the titles of each one but it's really not that big a deal.  Another one that will be hard for @barefootjeff (or anyone else in the same type of situation) to earn unless he travels between now and the start of the new year.

1 minute ago, GrateBear said:

Ok, I'm feeling a bit dense today.  It's called Memory Lane, but you have to find new caches to qualify?  I don't get it.  Must be the growing heat--in to the 90's soon, after 50 last week.....

The names of the souvenirs are the trip down memory lane - from the first cache to twenty years of caching.  You earn them by getting points for new cache finds.

• Helpful 1

I read from the top and saw: 

1) Hide a geocache.  Okay, I could probably do that, no problem.

2) Release a geocoin.  Sure.

3) Attend a mega.  Hmm, unlikely for me to attend a mega this year, but maybe a good challenge.

4) 1 million caches, what?!  ... oh... OH... 200 pts, 5 pts/cache... I only need to find 40 caches in 7 months.  

Took me a second to realize that I was reading the TITLE of the souvenir, not the goal.

I get that it's tough to do a promotion with what's going on in the world, but this is pretty bland.  I enjoyed the Mystery at the Museum last year, at least it was something different.  

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
12 minutes ago, niraD said:

Maybe they've learned something since the world turtle souvenir promotion.

These souvenir promotions aren't about geocachers who find hundreds or thousands of caches a year.

These souvenir promotions are about the vast majority of geocachers, the ones for whom a hundred caches in a year would be a big stretch.

Thats why there was 10 souvenirs for that promotion and most of them were at the low numbers so they could be achievable for most geocachers and there was an harder one for those more hardcore. Not everyone needs to get them all.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

I like the way this promotion  is a bit laid back, in that even just an "active" cacher might meet all the goals.    :)

Promotions are usually meant to increase sales/awareness , and with this virus thing I'd bet the site would like to keep folks around.

- There will probably be something again for all the "hardcore" cachers in the near future...    :D   

Edited by cerberus1
an ess
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I'm thinking that I will earn many of the souvenirs over the course of my normal caching.  I'm not sure I like the titles of each one but it's really not that big a deal.  Another one that will be hard for @barefootjeff (or anyone else in the same type of situation) to earn unless he travels between now and the start of the new year.

Over the lock-down I've been solving a heap of puzzle caches in the Newcastle area (an hour's drive north of here), so when the remaining travel restrictions are lifted next Monday I'll be making a few trips up there which will at least get me started on the game board. With it running for the remainder of the year, I should make it to the end.

3 hours ago, on4bam said:

Oh boy, another "promotion"  that is doable for most in one or two caching days at most. Only 20 caches with 10+FP's? Really?

For most? Caches with 10+ FPs I haven't yet found and don't own are pretty thin on the ground here.

image.png.87793b30c164dde2adfa3d349da06dd9.png

My current find rate for this year is 0.23 caches per day and for last year it was 0.41 caches per day. It's going to take a lot more than a couple of days caching for anyone in my region to knock this off, especially if they've already cleared most of their local patch.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I am well on my way to getting souvenir bingo.

Complaints that it's too easy, check. 

Jeff reminding us about his local caching scene, check. 

People who don't care about souvenirs, check. 

Now I just need to wait until 0:00:20 on 1 June to collect two more squares: "I got my first souvenir" and "Help me, my souvenir isn't showing up yet!" and I'll have five in a row.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 17
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Now I just need to wait until 0:00:20 on 1 June to collect two more squares: "I got my first souvenir" and "Help me, my souvenir isn't showing up yet!" and I'll have five in a row.

Have you ever considered why your souvenir bingo might exist?   Perhaps it's because most of the promotional souvenirs have all of those same attributes.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:
2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Have you ever considered why your souvenir bingo might exist?   Perhaps it's because most of the promotional souvenirs have all of those same attributes.

Have you considered that most souvenir promotions are a marketing tool aimed at newer or less experienced geocachers in order to hook them into caching more, and veteran cachers are not the main target audience?

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Have you considered that most souvenir promotions are a marketing tool aimed at newer or less experienced geocachers in order to hook them into caching more, and veteran cachers are not the main target audience?

Bingo!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, niraD said:

These souvenir promotions aren't about geocachers who find hundreds or thousands of caches a year.

These souvenir promotions are about the vast majority of geocachers, the ones for whom a hundred caches in a year would be a big stretch.

55 minutes ago, hzoi said:

All truth. (and I fully expect hzoi to get his bingo :laughing: )

And yet, there's no reason there can't be souvenir-earning elements for the very active and veteran cachers. They're not mutually exclusive...

I mean really, why not add even one single 'hard core' souvenir to these promotion to provide a challenge for people who want to go for it? The only downfall, I'd say, are the "there's no way I can earn that!" complainers. (aka, the 'everyone get a prize' mentality)  And sure, a judgment would have to be made at what constitutes 'hard core', because there will always be people who say "that's too easy" - but at least the effort in doing this would provide something more than a cakewalk for people who complete souvenir promos in a matter of days ;) 

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, hzoi said:

D'accord.

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

I have, which is why I always refer to these sorts of souvenirs as promotions.   They've become annoying enough that I'll likely stop the auto-renewal of the premium membership I've had for 13 yesrs.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 3
  • Helpful 1

I suspect that the data does not lie and that these promotions do have a value to the entire geocaching community. Like them or not no one forces you to do anything different than your day to day normal caching activity. For some though it's just an excuse to binge and go for that souvenir. I suspect that a few of those non-paying folks decide that this is pretty fun to do and switch to a paying membership. After all it takes money to maintain and run the servers. In the end we all benefit. We all know you can't get them all the same should apply to souvenirs and this should not be something to complain about. 

Personally I'm all in. 326 caches away from reaching 1000 in a year, I've been committed since January when I found my one and only 100 in a day. No one forced me to try for this and once I complete it I'll probably never do it again, I definitely don't want to do a solo 100 in a day again. I keep saying this but the great thing about this hobby is you can play it any way you want. Find 1 a week or 1 a day it's up to you.

Have fun!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
16 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:
20 hours ago, hzoi said:

I have, which is why I always refer to these sorts of souvenirs as promotions.   They've become annoying enough that I'll likely stop the auto-renewal of the premium membership I've had for 13 yesrs.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I have not rushed out the door to complete requirements for souvenirs.  Sometimes they add a minor incentive.  Sometimes they do not.  But even when a souvenir promotion does not curry my favor, I don't let it dampen my enjoyment of geocaching. I'll just ignore it.  That's what I did for the 7-day streak souvenir last year.  Didn't have time for it, didn't do it.  It didn't really leave any lasting taste in my mouth either way, though.  

I did enjoy going for the 31 souvenirs of August back in 2013.  It just so happened that my schedule allowed me to go out and find caches during most of those days, as I was in school for part of the time and had free time in the afternoons.  Though I'll never regret taking a few days off in the middle of it, to focus on the birth of our daughter.  :grin:

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 2

We did a small (12Km) tour with very nice multi's + bonus yesterday, all just 1 wp but not the straightforward type, it would have gotten us 136 points. As the series is brand new only half have <10 FP. I guess by next week that series will get people going for the souvenirs 160 points. We came close (about 200m) of 2 other traditionals but didn't bother and of course there are others close by. The series took us about 4 hours so anyone spending 5 hours there will "have 'm all".

Maybe GS can split up souvenirs between real souvenirs like for countries and promotions like the stuff we just get while doing nothing we're not already doing.

• Helpful 1
On 5/27/2020 at 11:21 AM, hzoi said:

On 5/27/2020 at 11:25 AM, MNTA said:

Bingo!

Bingo, Bingo!

I doubt it hooks very many though...

2 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

So the Project Ape caches are worth the same amount of points as a pill bottle in a banister? Cool!:D

Lets be honest: the walk to the one in Brazil is a walk in the park. And the clay road towards the park is easy as well, provided it's not wet. So based on that... :tongue:

7 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

So the Project Ape caches are worth the same amount of points as a pill bottle in a banister? Cool!:D

:grin::D:grin:

But I'm betting the pill bottle doesn't have >10 Fav points... So, Ape caches are worth twice the pill bottle - still worth the same +1 to the stats, though.

• Upvote 2

Awww, no souvenir for me. Yet.

I'll wait 24 hours before contacting HQ. Others in my area who went geocaching 12 hours earlier got their souvenir right away. 

Update: This was totally my mistake. I misremembered the first souvenir requirements. I don't have enough points. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 2
14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Awww, no souvenir for me. Yet.

The travel restrictions here were dropped yesterday so I spent the day in Newcastle (about an hour and a half's drive north) finding 6 of the puzzles I'd solved during the lockdown and waiting patiently until after 10pm to log them, so I now have the first souvenir. The lockdown was good for solving puzzles so I have a lot to go out and find, particularly the remaining mega geoart ones north and west of Morisset, but none are close to home so there'll be a fair bit of driving to do over the coming weeks (or months) to get me over the line.

image.png.d1dfc654e62982663383c21a1770b955.png

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

What does that mean?

You could go out, but not meet people. Stay in your local area, work out outside, go on a walk. But avoid popular places (car parking places near nature anyway), avoid public transport unless necessary, and basically use common sense.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, GrateBear said:

Ok, I'm feeling a bit dense today.  It's called Memory Lane, but you have to find new caches to qualify?  I don't get it.  Must be the growing heat--in to the 90's soon, after 50 last week.....

After getting the first souvenir and reading the write up, its obvious that this was designed to tie into the the 20th anniversary of geocaching.

Yes, you just have to go find any caches, but the souvenir itself is providing a history lesson, and thus the "memory lane".

"Additional Information:On May 3, 2000, one day after selective availability on civilian GPS receivers was removed (aka everyone could receive accurate GPS readings on their location), the Great American GPS Stash Hunt began. The idea was simple: hide a container in the woods and record the coordinates using a GPS unit. A bucket in the woods near Beavercreek, Oregon was placed along with a logbook, pencil, and other various trade items – the first geocache. After the coordinates of the “stash” were shared with an online community, the “game” took off. Congratulations! You earned this souvenir by earning 10 points in Memory Lane."

Edited by igator210
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, igator210 said:

After getting the first souvenir and reading the write up, its obvious that this was designed to tie into the the 20th anniversary of geocaching.

Correct, and thanks for your helpful post that quotes the text of the first souvenir.

It may be helpful to keep in mind that this souvenir promotion was initially scheduled to launch in early April, then postponed to early May, and then again delayed until now, all because of COVID-19 restricting the ability of many geocachers to get out and find caches to earn the souvenirs.  The timeframe was originally planned to be shorter, like most other spring promotions.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, terratin said:

You could go out, but not meet people. Stay in your local area, work out outside, go on a walk. But avoid popular places (car parking places near nature anyway), avoid public transport unless necessary, and basically use common sense.

That's my normal, pre-covid behavior. 

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 3
  • Surprised 1
7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yeah, mine too. Introverts got the long end of the stick for once during this crisis. :antenna:

@Keystone I wonder if you can give some information on how popular these events are. I don't mean how many people will get the souvenirs as many regular cachers will get them anyway automatically. I'm more interested in whether they keep newer or irregular cachers motivated or even motivate people to go out more. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Same here.

Many are complaining about mental problem because they couldn't go out with others or meet people be it at home or at work. For us it was "business as usual" except we stayed within biking/walking distance from home. Even now we stay within about 30Km.

To get back on topic, glad to see no promotional souvenirs appeared for me until now.

Ironically... This past Saturday we held a Community Celebration Event to celebrate the very first geocache in the world hidden outside of the USA (GC45).  During the event we talked about this history of geocaching in the early days and even had the original CO who placed GC45 present and he spoke for a few minutes sharing with us his perspective on what it was like back then, taking part in such a new activity.  We then unveiled a brand new plaque that had been secretly installed at the location 2 weeks earlier (and launched a virtual cache at the plaque, which was published during the event).  So much history of the "memory lane" type, but nothing towards the Memory Lane souvenirs, no initial souvenir for me, no points.  It's no big deal, as I will surely have all of the souvenirs in good time, probably in the space of a few caching days, but it did seem kind of funny that the most appropriate event I could think of relating to this souvenir promotion, and given it was a Community Celebration Event, and it just didn't do anything.  Well, most importantly, it was a great event. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1