Profane response from new cacher who posts pics if actual caches

OndrWmn

Got this in response this morning when I questioned why she would take a photo of the actual cache.  Probably should have let it go but I let the frustration of having her spoiler photo ruin my search get in the way.  Forwarded to HQ but I’m pretty shocked at the intensity of the reaction. I’m a fairly new Cacher myself but know and have mentored by “old pros” who have never seen anything like this.  Should I hold my tongue in the future?  Should this person be banished? 

36 minutes ago, OndrWmn said:

Got this in response this morning when I questioned why she would take a photo of the actual cache.  Probably should have let it go but I let the frustration of having her spoiler photo ruin my search get in the way.  Forwarded to HQ but I’m pretty shocked at the intensity of the reaction. I’m a fairly new Cacher myself but know and have mentored by “old pros” who have never seen anything like this.  Should I hold my tongue in the future?  Should this person be banished? 

26 minutes ago, OndrWmn said:

As an update, she apparently posts photos of most of the caches she finds...

We used to have buttinskies in our area.  Eventually they relaxed enough to realize "anyone can play", or moved on.

If a CO has an issue with their cache,  they can delete any spoiler from the logs.   Simple.

Any obscene/vulgar mail we receive from this site should be reported to HQ.

ETA... Deleted , and did not repeat vulgar post to response...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, OndrWmn said:

I feel like I'm missing the story here. Many caches have photos of the actual cache (spoiler photos). There's a trend these days to post them on social media, too.

How did her spoiler photo ruin your search? Were you looking at the gallery and happened to see it? I'm just curious about what brought this up.

By the way, I'm not condoning the behavior of spoiling caches.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

For caches I'm hunting or MAY hunt, I only look at them as a LAST resort. This is my order of spoil:

1. Hints - THIS is what the CO set up for your 2nd stage once you exhaust your search. Anything you get from a hint is still part of the CO's creation and intended experience. That's paramount to me.
  2. Old logs - During a hunt, ONLY if the Hint doesn't exist or hasn't helped. I also read carefully, trying to not get unwelcome, thoughtless, inconsiderate, inappropriate spoilage.
  3. Photos attached to old logs - Almost never; takes an extreme level of frustration to get me to go there in the field. Hard to 'unsee' something.
  4. Reach out to the CO.

Although I've had people contact me for caches I've found, I never reach out to other cachers. When you say "I just  need a TINY nudge," it's too easy to get "Yeah, it's behind the red reflector."

I've thought about moving the CO contact up the list to #2, but I basically suck at finding stuff without my Team Cap'n, so I'd end up contacting people all the time.

5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

If a CO has an issue with their cache,  they can delete any spoiler from the logs.   Simple.

^ This.

On my caches, I’m sometimes surprised to see the whole container shown in a photo, but I don’t delete such photos.  You never know how big a nutcase any given nut is.

I sometimes specify not to give away the hide style — in a tree, in a stump, whatever may make it way too easy.  Just having the container in view isn’t all that much of a spoiler if it’s just the container (not showing its hiding spot).

I post Found log photos of an open container up close, such as the log sheet on the lid.  Or a view inside of the contents, usually to show condition.  The plan is to not give away too much, and any special camo is not in view.

But if someone posts all the info on a cache I’m hunting, and if the CO allows it to stand, that’s fair game.  I need photos, nudges, hints, everything.  I’m just that bad at Geocaching.  Anyway, I might not even see a photo while I’m there, due to App issues, or Garmin GPS not even including photos.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I feel like I'm missing the story here. Many caches have photos of the actual cache (spoiler photos). There's a trend these days to post them on social media, too.

How did her spoiler photo ruin your search? Were you looking at the gallery and happened to see it? I'm just curious about what brought this up.

By the way, I'm not condoning the behavior of spoiling caches.

Yeah, for caches with run-of-the-mill containers (ammo cans, Sistemas, preforms, Bison tubes, etc.) photos including the containers are pretty commonplace and aren't really spoiling anything as long as they don't give away the hiding place. Of my own hides, even the novelty containers I don't mind photos of except for those where the surprise element is a big part of the cache. Only once have I had to ask someone to remove a photo and they immediately obliged (and still gave the cache an FP).

• Love 1

I don't get this. How did it spoil your search? You had to actually go and look at the photographs to see the photographs. If you don't want a spoiler, don't look at the photographs. Simple. You spoiled it for yourself; not the cacher who posted the photograph. Plus, what does it matter!?

My Garmin etrex30 doesn't display photographs and the rare time I use a phone, I don't see the photographs unless it's me who goes looking for them. Seems you went looking for them and you ruined it for yourself. You can't blame others for this.

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I don't get this. How did it spoil your search? You had to actually go and look at the photographs to see the photographs. If you don't want a spoiler, don't look at the photographs. Simple. You spoiled it for yourself; not the cacher who posted the photograph. Plus, what does it matter!?

I guess I'm a bit different. Most of my caching trips are targeting just one or a small handful of caches, and these days are usually at least an hour's travel from home. I try to prepare myself as much as possible before setting out, which means reading the description and at least a few of the recent logs. Depending on what that reveals, I might also look at the gallery photos for anything else that might help me prepare but I would hope none of those photos gave away the actual hiding place, just as I would hope none of the logs would describe the hiding place beyond what's already in the description. Having looked, I can't unlook. It wouldn't spoil the day out, but it would take a little of the shine off it. A picture of just the container, though, wouldn't bother me, particularly if it's just something common like an ammo can or Sistema.

There's two sides to stories. We heard one.  

I'd bet more than half the caches here (that have pics) have photos of the container in the gallery somewhere.   :)

Just today for a what-the-heck, whenever I was "helpful" on something in the forums, I looked at that person's gallery.

-  Okay... I did two or three...     :D   Most have pics of containers in hand.

Containers with contents are shown often in these forums too  ("condition" posts mostly...), and it'd be nuts if just one person is taking pics like that..

I'm fine with container pics.  If nothing else it might show if a maintenance issue is starting.  A heads-up without an NM.   ;)

The spot it's hidden is a different story,  and we don't warn anyone.  Delete.  Older cachers know that's wrong, and newer ones learn quick.

We've been on the receiving end of vulgar emails, owners of pmo caches and that audit that hopefully is still gone...

Just mentioning we're emailing HQ got them to stop. 

At the time it was an issue for the other 2/3rds, but now she's a lot more sure of herself, and will give it back if needed.   :laughing:

Sadly, another for some odd reason thought I was mentioning them on our caching site at the time, and we haven't talked since...

Edited by cerberus1