Found Travel bug

wyld88

Hi Everyone

I found a travel bug in the middle of the bush. I"m assuming someone dropped it by accident.

I've tried looking up the Travel bug and can't find anything, There's also a proxy tag but that as well doesn't bring up any information. I"m not sure what to do with this. I can drop it off at a nearby cache. But I would like to know why i cant track this, We can send it on its way.

Thanks 

WallyGog & RyJax

Don't post any numbers online, but just asking:

Are the codes/numbers completely different on the TB and Proxy tag?  Are they maybe from 2 different TBs?

Can you read the numbers easily?  Sometimes a O may look like an 0.  Sometimes a scratched-up C looks more like a G.

Remember that if you try a TB code, be sure to return to the search page each time before trying again.

It's fine to drop them into a cache even if you can't figure them out (maybe with some info about what happened, without posting actual numbers).  Sometimes, there's much more detective work to do than what the average Geocacher can do.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, wyld88 said:

I found a travel bug in the middle of the bush. I"m assuming someone dropped it by accident.

I've tried looking up the Travel bug and can't find anything, There's also a proxy tag but that as well doesn't bring up any information.

I"m not sure what to do with this. I can drop it off at a nearby cache. But I would like to know why i cant track this, We can send it on its way.

To be clear, you found a Travel Bug and the Copy Tag , correct?  Was anything attached to it ?  Still in its sealed bag ?

Sounds (to me) like maybe someone intended it to be swag, and it's never been activated.  Or lost it in-between caches.

We used to leave Travel Bugs as swag, but now leave unactivated signature geocoins as swag in caches we liked.    :)

Just for the heck of it, since you'd have no idea who "dropped" it  (unless there's a note in a nearby cache), you could see if it's activated or not by clicking on this link for the  Activation code retrieval page.

Then that Travel Bug you found "in the bush" is yours.  :)

I would look at nearby caches first, to see if someone's kid is panicking with write notes on cache pages first.   ;)

If anyone claims it as one they lost later, you could always give it back to them with Trackable Adoption.