Jump to content

What's deal with the DAR category?


adgorn
Followers 0

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Oops, I completely forgot about this. I just made some edits to the category. Please let me know what you all think before moving forward to peer review. Thank you!

 

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=dbdd340f-c7a6-4a88-9119-f9ff39243d6d&gid=6&exp=True

 

Edit required?

Instructions for posting:

4. We require at least 2 good quality photos to be taken and uploaded. Some sites, if large, may warren additional photos if deemed necessary.

 

Should it be warrant? ie Required, not warren as in rabbit? ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

 

Edit required?

Instructions for posting:

4. We require at least 2 good quality photos to be taken and uploaded. Some sites, if large, may warren additional photos if deemed necessary.

 

Should it be warrant? ie Required, not warren as in rabbit? ;)

 

Ah, good catch! I'll make the edit

Link to comment
18 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Oops, I completely forgot about this. I just made some edits to the category. Please let me know what you all think before moving forward to peer review. Thank you!

 

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=dbdd340f-c7a6-4a88-9119-f9ff39243d6d&gid=6&exp=True

Another edit needed in the sentence following the prior one in #4. "One photo should be of the marker. The second should be the surround area with the marker in noticeable sight ."

Shouldn't this be "surrounding" and there is a space before the period at the end of that sentence.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, K13 said:

Another edit needed in the sentence following the prior one in #4. "One photo should be of the marker. The second should be the surround area with the marker in noticeable sight ."

Shouldn't this be "surrounding" and there is a space before the period at the end of that sentence.

 

Thanks for the point out. I'll get right on it. :)

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

To be very honest, I have not contributed to that discussion, because I have little to no knowledge of that matter. Now that peer review has started, I ask myself:

 

What exactly is the category referring to? The description talks about "historic sites that have helped win American Independence", but in the examples I see the text of a plaque that "commemorates the 150th anniversary of the visit to this anchoring cove by author Richard Henry Dana" in 1835/1885(?). Either way, this was decades after America got its independence. Later the description says:

 

"There are numerous of historic DAR and SAR sites all over the world and each tell a little bit of history that helped shape the modern United States." This would (IMHO) also include historic sites that were important after America got its independence. But as it is now this is just a theoretical question.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Ariberna said:

I voted. I think that one cathegory thay isn't global because is only for USA now is bad for WM.

We need cathegories thay can be posted in Usa, Spain, China and Australia.

There are a lot of USA.

It's my opinion

Most of the sites are in the US, however, there are a number of them overseas so it solves the global issue that people are incorrectly stating.

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

Most of the sites are in the US, however, there are a number of them overseas so it solves the global issue that people are incorrectly stating.

 

But it's still focusing on the topic of the US DAS. Categories focused on certain regions just shouldn't be a thing imo. There are a lot of stupid categories already, e.g.:

-"signs of history" separated between states - each state has it's own,

-Canadian benchmarks, US Benchmarks, Latvian Benchmarks and so on, instead of having just Benchmarks overall? I can imagine differences, between the continents, but there is already a category for all European benchmarks and also German as an example. Why would anyone do that?

 

Your proposal is focused on one country, I think that is the problem.

Link to comment
14 hours ago, sernikk said:

Your proposal is focused on one country, I think that is the problem.

 

That's not the case I think. There are other countries having those signs and just like the chronograms, that are hardly to find in the USA/Canada, have passed peer review, the fact that DAR/SAR sites are hardly to be found in other countries, is no argument for me to deny the category.

 

But the redundancy with other categories like the Signs of History, the many categories for historical markers in various countries/states etc. sounds like a good argument against the category.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...