Dearth of New Nearby Caches

I recently returned from an unintended extended stay in sunny Florida and after being gone for almost five months I decided to take a quick look around to see what had been placed near home in my absence.  I figured there would be slim pickings, the winter and the virus undoubtably having slowed things down a bit, still I was a bit surprised to find a total of only 7 new caches in a 20 mile radius of home and only two of them with a d/t combo as high as 1.5/2.   Five obvious P&Gs and a couple of puzzles...Increasing the search to 30 miles roughly doubles the area and resulted in 49 new caches, which is better, and more encouraging was more seeing that more than a dozen were t2.5 or higher.  Guess I'll be doing some driving in the coming months...What's it like in your area these days?

edexter

Our Reviewers are publishing caches only in "woods", or large parks hiking trails.  Lots of new caches.  

- And for us, who started caching that way, a plus.      :)

The thought is there's room for "distancing" in those areas, compared to small park, residential, or business area hides where a lotta people are around.

It will go back to "normal" when "authorities" decide to open areas up.

2 hours ago, edexter said:

I recently returned from an unintended extended stay in sunny Florida and after being gone for almost five months I decided to take a quick look around to see what had been placed near home in my absence.  I figured there would be slim pickings, the winter and the virus undoubtably having slowed things down a bit, still I was a bit surprised to find a total of only 7 new caches in a 20 mile radius of home and only two of them with a d/t combo as high as 1.5/2.   Five obvious P&Gs and a couple of puzzles...Increasing the search to 30 miles roughly doubles the area and resulted in 49 new caches, which is better, and more encouraging was more seeing that more than a dozen were t2.5 or higher.  Guess I'll be doing some driving in the coming months...What's it like in your area these days?

edexter

Just about the same, with one person hiding 4 caches in February, though I have to go out past 30 miles to see more than 7.  Lots of new caches in the 30-50 mile range.

There have been 12 new caches within 25km of my home so far this year, which is better than the 6 we had in the same period last year, even though there were no new caches published here during April and early May.

Geographically, there are 7 on the Central Coast north of the Hawkesbury River and 5 in the Sydney region south of the river. Two are currently disabled.

image.png.fb012c181c6cb24790225a6eb24434cf.png

There are 6 traditionals, 2 multis (one of them mine), 3 mysteries and a virtual. The D/T spread is:

image.png.932d9ec80483b076423856283d3417db.png

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, TriciaG said:

No new caches published in Ontario yet. However, the reviewers are doing some pre-checks on the submitted caches, so that when they do start publishing again, it'll go quickly.

I'm finding it a bit exciting actually to think where new caches will be hidden.....though at the same time, any new hide I myself have is obviously at risk of being in someone's area if someone also placed a cache nearby during this time. I have a feeling my city will have a handful of caches in a ten mile radius of me....maybe 10 or more. 

Since the ban on cache publications here in Florida has been lifted, we've had 16 new caches published in a 20 mile radius (one of them even by you edexter!). Upping the distance to 50 miles, we see 62 new hides (most coming from a new power trail).

Edited by TmdAndGG

Most of the new caches in my area have been mostly 2/2 or lower and mostly traditional. Puzzles are second in number.  However, the numbers, at least compared to last year, are higher with 60 published within 50 miles in the last month.  19 have been published within 20 miles.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:36 PM, TmdAndGG said:

Since the ban on cache publications here in Florida has been lifted, we've had 16 new caches published in a 20 mile radius (one of them even by you edexter!). Upping the distance to 50 miles, we see 62 new hides (most coming from a new power trail).

I started seeing new hides in New York State about a week ago.  There has been about 15 new hides within 50 miles, only one within 20 miles.

Or, from another perspective, 281 caches have been published across the state of New York in the past seven days, reflecting the resumption of cache publication in that State and the release of many caches that were "on hold" while travel restrictions were in place.  I am curious whether the  OP checked for new caches before or after cache publication resumed in New England a few days ago.

• Helpful 1
22 hours ago, Keystone said:

Or, from another perspective, 281 caches have been published across the state of New York in the past seven days, reflecting the resumption of cache publication in that State and the release of many caches that were "on hold" while travel restrictions were in place.  I am curious whether the  OP checked for new caches before or after cache publication resumed in New England a few days ago.

I wonder how that breaks down by county,  because the impact of covid-19 by county is extremely diverse.  There are zero deaths due to covid-19 in my county, and I think just one cache published.  My notification range covers the Syracuse area and that's where I think most of the caches that published are at.  Onondaga county, where Syracuse is located has 115 deaths. That's nothing compared to the counties in and around NYC and to a lesser extent Erie county (Buffalo).