Looking for a new GPSr

Hi everybody! So I recently started geocaching in the US, after having done so in Europe for years. I will confess that in EU I just used my iphone, because it usually had accuracy between 1-3meters, so I didn't feel the need to get an actual GPSr. While in the US, my iphone's best is 6m, but mostly it's 8-16m...or the phone keeps jumping from one direction to another so I end up walking in circles.....I actually had to abort my geo-mission several times because of that, it's getting annoying.

So now I'm looking into the Garmin GPSrs and wonder whether I should get an Oregon 750 or GPSMAP66, or maybe a Montana? I don't need any fanciness such as camera or bluetooth - I use the geocaching app on my iphone to look up the geocaches and plan my trip anyway. What I need is a GPSr with the best accuracy that I can get, so that it gets me to Ground Zero quickly and efficiently.  

Can you share what you're using and what the accuracy of your GPSr is? I'm interested in your experience and some numbers. Or any tips that come to mind are welcome, too, thanks! :) 

2 hours ago, TheWanderesss said:

. What I need is a GPSr with the best accuracy that I can get, so that it gets me to Ground Zero quickly and efficiently.  

Can you share what you're using and what the accuracy of your GPSr is?

I'm interested in your experience and some numbers. Or any tips that come to mind are welcome, too, thanks! :) 

The Garmin 700 series and the 66 are tops for most.  Load caches from your phone does seem cool.

Since you mentioned them you must know about cost, and the price is tops too.  :)

Civilian GPS hasn't changed since it's opening, with "accuracy" still around 10 feet for both hider and finder.

This means that you could be around 20+ feet off on an average day.  Add in +/-  in "location accuracy" and it could be even more.

If you want the newest bells n whistles in electronics, your picks are awesome.   

I still use a long-discontinued 60csx, and I'm still as "accurate" as newer models and phones.   

- We test that often when with friends who sometimes want to tease the old fart for not "upgrading".      :D

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, TheWanderesss said:

I will confess that in EU I just used my iphone, because it usually had accuracy between 1-3meters,

Reported accuracy maybe. No civilian GPSr on the market today gets better than 3 meters accuracy under the best of circumstance.

The Oregon 7x0 is my number one pick for a touch-screen Geocaching GPSr, and the GPSMAP 66 is my first pick for a push-button geocaching GPSr.

There are so many threads at the top of the GPS category that are nearly identical to yours, you'll find plenty of information reading through the forum.

I'm not sure why your iPhone is behaving the way it is. The same satellite constellations find your location in North America as it does in Europe. You might double check your location settings to see if you can get it to work better. GPS receivers aren't any more accurate than your phone (though they do typically operate with less lag), so if you do buy one, be prepared for a similar level of error.

If you don't need fanciness like a camera, then don't get the Oregon 750. Get the 700 and save yourself a few bucks. The 66 is nice, but if all you need is a 64xs, you can save some money there as well.