Finding a geocacher's message link

Today, (May 20th) a geocacher that I have never previously heard of signed our logbook and dated it May 15th.  I know it was miss-dated, because it is a new cache location and it was not available for signing on the 15th.  The cacher has NOT logged on the Geocaching website yet?  Well, said cacher also tore up several things looking for the cache--- which is in plain sight!.  I would just like to view the cacher' profile to see if he is a new cacher and does not have geosense skills yet.  Anyway to trace a cacher just by his geocaching nickname?

2 minutes ago, KD7DKV said:

Today, (May 20th) a geocacher that I have never previously heard of signed our logbook and dated it May 15th.  I know it was miss-dated, because it is a new cache location and it was not available for signing on the 15th.  The cacher has NOT logged on the Geocaching website yet?  Well, said cacher also tore up several things looking for the cache--- which is in plain sight!.  I would just like to view the cacher' profile to see if he is a new cacher and does not have geosense skills yet.  Anyway to trace a cacher just by his geocaching nickname?

Did you get an email notification letting you know that he found your cache? Just click on his name in the email. Maybe?

5 minutes ago, KD7DKV said:

I looked at all your caches that were recently found in this past week and I can't see any reference to signing a log on the 15th.

9 minutes ago, KD7DKV said:

Anyway to trace a cacher just by his geocaching nickname?

On your dashboard (website, new dashboard) about 2/3 of the way down on the left hand side, is "Find another player".  You can type in the Geocaching nickname, and see if it matches with any profiles existing.  That's assuming that the name he/she registered with geocaching.com is the same name used on your logsheet.  If they used a different name than what they are registered as, or if they aren't registered at all, you won't be able to find out anything.  Hopefully they will log the find on the site and you can find out who it is.

10 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

On your dashboard (website, new dashboard) about 2/3 of the way down on the left hand side, is "Find another player".  You can type in the Geocaching nickname, and see if it matches with any profiles existing.  That's assuming that the name he/she registered with geocaching.com is the same name used on your logsheet.  If they used a different name than what they are registered as, or if they aren't registered at all, you won't be able to find out anything.  Hopefully they will log the find on the site and you can find out who it is.

Ohhhhh! I misunderstood. 

www.geocaching.com/find/

this module will allow you to enter a username and get to profile.   Username spelling must be exact. That can make working from a signed log difficult. And of course, the account needs to have been created. I'm not sure if it will return "unvalidated" accounts. At any given time, there are a fair number of those.

Not relevant to your inquiry, but /find/ won't return disabled or locked accounts. 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

So you saw their name on the physical log and it has the wrong date? I have a cache with lots and lots of signatures of people who never register on the geocaching site. I'm guessing they are tag alongs with a registered geocacher. 

It wouldn't be the first time "someone" wrote the wrong date on a log sheet. :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
14 hours ago, KD7DKV said:

Today, (May 20th) a geocacher that I have never previously heard of signed our logbook and dated it May 15th. 

I know it was miss-dated, because it is a new cache location and it was not available for signing on the 15th. 

The cacher has NOT logged on the Geocaching website yet?  Well, said cacher also tore up several things looking for the cache--- which is in plain sight!. 

I would just like to view the cacher' profile to see if he is a new cacher and does not have geosense skills yet.  Anyway to trace a cacher just by his geocaching nickname?

Maybe I'm having an off day, but curious...  If you don't know them, and they didn't log in, how do you know it was even a geocacher ?

You say it was "in plain sight".  We've had our own caches "signed" by muggles weeks before we finally got the series published. 

We knew which ones to move quickly...     

We had a long-time pm out-of-state group of cachers rip through our area once (they continued a state over too). 

Most caches that they did sign had to be fixed, and the areas cleaned of their garbage...      Geosense skills ?

If your rookie finally logs online, please let us know.  Thanks.  :)

• Helpful 1

I am not as much concerned over the date as I was just stating that they used a date that was before the cache was enabled.  My main purpose of the post was to find out how to locate a cachers profile.  Thank you to CAVino gal for instructions for finding the cachers profile.  Now, I will get to work.  I will update  you as soon as I have information.  As of this morning, the cacher has not logged on Geocaching.com.  Thanks everyone.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, KD7DKV said:

I am not as much concerned over the date as I was just stating that they used a date that was before the cache was enabled.

Was the cache in place, awaiting review?

Or do you mean the cache wasn't in place yet?

If the cache was in place, but the cache page had not been reviewed/published, it could be a 'lucky' find by either a cacher, OR a non-cacher...

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We had a long-time pm out-of-state group of cachers rip through our area once (they continued a state over too). 

Most caches that they did sign had to be fixed, and the areas cleaned of their garbage...      Geosense skills ?

They were in our state too.  Totally ruined a nice little series with a bonus cache. How jerks like that think that what they're doing is acceptable is beyond me.

• Upvote 1