Feature request: enable/disable cache automatically (by date)

errvee

Hi!

Some caches have so-called "closed periods" when you can't visit site - birds nesting etc. 

So, my idea: add closing and opening dates to cache listing and let website automatically disable and enable cache when needed (without reviewer on CO action)

While the idea sounds like a nice addition, I have a small problem with the automatic enable portion.  Would you personally go out to GZ to verify that everything is still as it should be before the automatic enable end date?  The only way to guarantee that everything is OK with the cache after the disablement is to go out and visit the site.  I don't think an automatic enabling of the cache at the specified end date is a good idea, specifically due to that reason.  We TD our caches and then fix them up, enabling them when they're ready.  An automatic system would sidestep that process.

3 hours ago, errvee said:

Some caches have so-called "closed periods" when you can't visit site - birds nesting etc. 

So, my idea: add closing and opening dates to cache listing and let website automatically disable and enable cache when needed (without reviewer on CO action)

This year was odd enough that many of our birds nested and had their young more than a month before normal.  :)

We have most of our remaining hides in state game lands. 

We temp disable for two weeks each year for the very-busy rifle deer season, when it seems there's more people than critters in the woods.

These seasons may change depending on weather or situations, like our trout season extended, then pulled back early because of the virus.

If I'd have to keep changing dates on my cache "listing" somewhere anyway, it isn't much different than logging those temp disable/enable to me.  

• Helpful 1