Is Premium Worth It?

6 minutes ago, GeocachingGoku said:
10 minutes ago, niraD said:

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, and are just trying to get someone to convince you that it's really a good idea.

no i'm not

Did you ask whether airsoft gear "is worth it" on an airsoft forum?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 5/19/2020 at 9:21 AM, hukilaulau said:

BTW, you should change your log on the multi to a note until you actually find it.

But that conflicts with your advice on the other thread! 

Folks, these are weird times. If people get a little relief from geocaching, that's a good thing. I'm not going to expend any energy on making them feel bad about how they've chosen to deal with things during this stressful time. This is supposed to be a fun distraction! We don't need cache police shaming people for not doing it the "right" way.

Edited by Max and 99
3 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Of course it's worth it. Geocaching doesn't run on thin air. If we all want to play this game we must support the site.

Besides that, I see more caches when I am a member.

the issue is, I don't have that many premium caches around me that i can't just log on the website

4 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

So what, if you want to play the game you should support the site.

I agree with this. (I hope that doesn't contradict something else I've said :unsure:)

I don't use premium features as much as I used to, but I've never thought about downgrading.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
50 minutes ago, GeocachingGoku said:

no, I'm most definitely getting airsoft gear, I'm just trying to decide which one to spend more money on, or to even get premium

A quick look at some airsoft sale sites tells me you can spend the equivalent of a year of premium membership (and a lot more!) quite easily with the purchase of one gun, or some ammo.  Depending on how "into" the hobby you are...

A premium membership is $30 a year.  Only you can decide if you want the benefits that come with that $30.  For me, it is.  For you, your current economic situtation, another hobby wanting your attention (and limited funds), and the fact that where you live, you have caches to find without the premium, it may not be worth it.  

I just saw your post, too, that you are 11.  In this case, I'd wait.  Explore geocaching as much as you can with a basic membership, perhaps find friends or local geocachers to team up with who DO have the premium and spend more time with the hobby to see if you really want to keep at it for years, until you CAN afford the premium!  Have fun with the caches you do find!  (And, you can log the finds on premium caches even without a premium membership.  As long as you find the cache and sign the logsheet, you can log it!  Just team up with a premium member to see those caches you are "missing" as a basic member.)

Edited by CAVinoGal
Added info
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, GeocachingGoku said:

geocaching is 4 all ages

• Minors. Because of the nature of the game, which requires a cellular data plan or GPS device and the ability to travel to geocache locations, our services are not directed toward anyone under the age of 16. Although individuals under 16 are welcome to geocache, their parents or guardians must own and manage their accounts.

If you are under the age of 18 but at least 16, you may only use our services with the consent of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 16 has an account not created and managed by you, then you may alert us via email and request that we delete that child’s personal information.

6 hours ago, GeocachingGoku said:

I am under those guidelines ?

4 hours ago, The Jester said:

Then ask your parent or guardian to upgrade your account for you - they are who you should be having this discussion with.

Could just be getting the information to back up the question, when asked why they should pay? :)

• Funny 1
17 minutes ago, Ageleni said:

I've never had Premium, and I still have more caches in my area than I can deal with.  Maybe if they ever offer a free monthly trial or something, I will get one just to see what else is out there, but I doubt it would be worth paying for.

There is a way to get a free trial by contacting HQ  and asking for one. 

IIRC, it's only good a week now, so if you had interest in any high D/T or pmo caches, that'd be the time to do them.  :)

• Upvote 1
Just now, cerberus1 said:

There is a way to get a free trial by contacting HQ  and asking for one. 

IIRC, it's only good a week now, so if you had interest in any high D/T or pmo caches, that'd be the time to do them.  :)

Yeah. I may set aside a week for that some day!

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

You don't take PM for extra caches but for the extra functions like PQ's and API.

This. Though I think the official phone app only displays easy caches and certain cache types, right?
Ah, and offline lists/maps, and personal notes. All things I could not do without. https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=764

Mind you, I use Cachly when not using the GPS.

12 hours ago, Ageleni said:

I've never had Premium, and I still have more caches in my area than I can deal with. 

As long as you're happy with the caching you're doing, cool.  We all have our own take on what the hobby's about.   :)

"PMO caches" probably rate lowest in why someone wants to become a premium member.

- Finding caches similar to what you're doing already usually helps understanding that...  

We became pm just for notifications.  Our pm is more of a donation to the hobby, than the use of things here.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

As long as you're happy with the caching you're doing, cool.  We all have our own take on what the hobby's about.   :)

"PMO caches" probably rate lowest in why someone wants to become a premium member.

- Finding caches similar to what you're doing already usually helps understanding that...  

We became pm just for notifications.  Our pm is more of a donation to the hobby, than the use of things here.

I went PM a couple of months after I started mostly because of pocket queries .   I have renewed every year, for the past 13 years, even though I'm doing very little geocaching any more.