New gps unit

hi i have been using the Garmin 60cs for some time 12+ years now and it finally had its last day today so im looking to get a new GPS i would like some input on what some of you have ben using iv ben looking at the garmin 66 or the Oregon 700 but have seen a lot of bad reviews on both so pleas let me know what you think

17 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Most bad reviews are a direct result of user error.

That seems a bit gratuitous. User error, perhaps, but it's so easy to make errors.

Anyway, there's nothing else on the market, and the garmins aren't bad. I like my 66 fine, I just think it could be better. So use the reviews to get a feel for which has the fewest annoying issues for the way you expect to use it.

If you don't need bluetooth auto-loading of geocaches from your phone or a wifi connection, the Garmin 64s probably makes for an excellent replacement for about $100 cheaper than it's 66s younger brother.

Garmin 30x is really cheap these days and gives you all the goodies (except bluetooth) but a smaller size than the 60/62/64/66 series (which can be a plus or minus)

The reason Garmin 700 and 66 series got bad reviews is because they deserved them at the time they came out. Garmin has gotten into a nasty habit of putting out products that are not ready, full of bugs, and honestly should be treated as betas... After a few months, Garmin always does get these bugs worked out but first impressions mean everything...

12 minutes ago, Fireknight87 said:

OK cool thank you ya i don't need the auto loading as iv never done it that way but it might be nice. iv decided to go with the Oregon 700 for the touch screen  and the form factor

I almost never use Geocaching Live.  I load Pocket Queries as always, and if anything "live" works when I arrive (if I feel the need for it), cool.

for non-routable topo maps in the US, gpsfiledepot.com is your friend. (ok, the maps may be a little out of date but for the most part, not much changes in in the way of topography and roads, other than new neighborhoods.)

For routable (non contour) maps, OpenStreetMap is your friend. There is garmin.openstreetmap.nl as linked above, and there is also extract.bbbike.org to get a greater variety of visual styles. There are contour lines you can install on top of these maps, but they generally aren't very good.

11 hours ago, Fireknight87 said:

so i placed the order any one have any advice on free topo maps if there are any

There's a site that does a good job of blending OSM (street maps) with topo that covers a good part of the world, but no Europe.  It's a routable OSM map with topo.

Here's the one I think you'll enjoy based upon your location >> http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-pacific-osm-topo-routable

22 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

There's a site that does a good job of blending OSM (street maps) with topo that covers a good part of the world, but no Europe.  It's a routable OSM map with topo.

Here's the one I think you'll enjoy based upon your location >> http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-pacific-osm-topo-routable

I don't like the visual of the contours. The dotted lines are too busy and hard to follow.

6 hours ago, ecanderson said:

That is the OSM map I use on all my handhelds! Looks quite nice on the GPSr screen!

8 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I don't like the visual of the contours. The dotted lines are too busy and hard to follow.

I would prefer the color schemes etc to be a little different, too, but have found no alternative that combines OSM, topo, and reasonably frequent updates.  But the detail is super, and I don't have to keep switching between maps.  Thus far, it's my handheld map set of choice.  I travel enough (until recently!) that it would cost me a fortune to actually buy maps that cover all of the areas I'd need - especially when I only need them for a day or two.