That One Geocache

I’m reading about puzzle caches and that brought to mind something I saw a long time ago. It was a mystery cache, and either the name or the hider was just “.” (a separate account tailored to the cache) and many of the logs were by someone called “mysterious stranger” (with quotes, I remember that) or something to that effect. I remember it got mysteriously archived right before the first solver was about to fly in and find it. I also remember that periodically, logs were posted with pictures of strange, creepy, gothic-looking pictures on them. Does this ring a bell for anyone? A GC code, maybe?

Edited by Papaya101

Since I thought that this was a little mystery to solve, I made some research:

The "mysterious stranger" does exist and is here: https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?u="mysterious+stranger"&tab=lists#profilepanel

There are several geocaches with the title "." from pre 2007 (As that was the last time that mysterious stranger was online) you might look through them yourself to find the geocache you look for.

There it is! Even though it’s archived, from the way it seems to me it might still me solvable and available. After all, the last log does say “back with a vengeance!” (Although the link in the image in the log is dead...) Does anyone have any ideas on that? 

I actually tried working on that one when I first started and got nowhere, although I had a solution I thought might work but could never get the family to stop on our drive north (we drove right through Wabash) to the family's lake cottage.  There are some great puzzle solving names I see that posted notes to the cache page.  Lots of "local" cachers posted (a few found) notes on the others as well.  Only a few of them are still active.

8 hours ago, Papaya101 said:

There it is! Even though it’s archived, from the way it seems to me it might still me solvable and available. After all, the last log does say “back with a vengeance!” (Although the link in the image in the log is dead...) Does anyone have any ideas on that? 

It looks to me that the CO "My precious" is actually IndyMagicMan, who is notorious for creating caches that are extremely difficult to find.   A couple of his Shelter series caches had well over 100 DNFs before they were first found.  

• Upvote 1

I was told to go and look at those puzzles as examples of extremely difficult puzzles to solve, but they were all archived by the time I was active.  That's why they rung a bell.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were still there.

21 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It looks to me that the CO "My precious" is actually IndyMagicMan, who is notorious for creating caches that are extremely difficult to find.   A couple of his Shelter series caches had well over 100 DNFs before they were first found.  

IMM is the one that directed me to those puzzles, as well as a few other caches that green gecko and skeillan (?) had found where IMM was apparently involved.  I am fortunate enough to have found 4 of his 5 shelter hides but only 2 remain active now.  Shelter II is amazing and so many people have claimed the find despite not finding the actual cache.  I go over every once in a while to find it again (still takes some time to do so) and look at the log.  He doesn't hide very much anymore but still caches regularly, although not locally as much as he used to.

15 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I was told to go and look at those puzzles as examples of extremely difficult puzzles to solve, but they were all archived by the time I was active.  That's why they rung a bell.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were still there.

IMM is the one that directed me to those puzzles, as well as a few other caches that green gecko and skeillan (?) had found where IMM was apparently involved.  I am fortunate enough to have found 4 of his 5 shelter hides but only 2 remain active now.  Shelter II is amazing and so many people have claimed the find despite not finding the actual cache.  I go over every once in a while to find it again (still takes some time to do so) and look at the log.  He doesn't hide very much anymore but still caches regularly, although not locally as much as he used to.

I'm still kicking myself for not attempting Shelter II prior to flying back home from the airport in Indianapolis.  I've followed Shelter I and then II when they were first hidden and saw all the DNFs, group hunts (with video) and attempts to be the FTF on Shelter II.  I've also seen how, once it was found, that it didn't take long for lots of finds on it to pile up.  Some people can't keep a secret.

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'm still kicking myself for not attempting Shelter II prior to flying back home from the airport in Indianapolis.  I've followed Shelter I and then II when they were first hidden and saw all the DNFs, group hunts (with video) and attempts to be the FTF on Shelter II.  I've also seen how, once it was found, that it didn't take long for lots of finds on it to pile up.  Some people can't keep a secret.

Many of those finds aren't legitimate, despite the found logs on the cache page.  I posted a shot of the log, showing many of those finds that were claimed on the page weren't valid finds.  I found at least 3-4 things with signatures in that shelter, none of which were the actual cache.  

• Upvote 2