FTF coins - does the CO activate or the FTFer?

'yakinCacher

I ordered a couple FTF geocoins for some new caches I plan to hide because I thought they'd be a nice gift to whomever is FTF.  However, I don't know the proper etiquette here.  Should I activate the coin and log it into the cache?  Or should I allow the FTF to activate the coin at their discretion?

22 minutes ago, 'yakinCacher said:

I ordered a couple FTF geocoins for some new caches I plan to hide because I thought they'd be a nice gift to whomever is FTF.  However, I don't know the proper etiquette here.  Should I activate the coin and log it into the cache?  Or should I allow the FTF to activate the coin at their discretion?

If they are intended as a gift for someone else, then you should not activate them.

Think of it like this: you give your friend a new car, but put your name on the title. :D

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
On 5/14/2020 at 9:21 PM, 'yakinCacher said:

We know of a couple who activated trackables, and left them in their new caches as FTF "prizes".

Micro-managers, just had to be involved, had all their caches pmo too (the "audit" was still around then...).

- They sat there for some time before a newer cacher retrieved them to move along.   :)

If it's a "prize", it should remain unactivated so the "winner" can think of it as one. 

Be sure you say on the packaging it is unactivated, or we'll see another thread started on what to do with it.  :D

We leave unactivated signature coins in caches we liked as swag.  

• Helpful 1