Too much time on my hand?

What with the current situation with the virus and social distancing and all that entails,  a thought just crossed my mind. We cannot have events as we did just three months ago. BUT, we have such wonderful apps like Zoom now. How would we conduct a meeting via Zoom?

Unless you would know the participating people and invite them separately it could be a boondoggle. The only other way I would know- and I and not that Zoom savvy -  would be to set up the event, and the publicize the meeting number. Then you have no control and  anyone coiuyld join the event, non-cachers , muggles, etc. 

May be an idea to think about and ignore! 

Oh, if I am not mistaken a geocaching event needs a physical place,  a set time etc., correct?

I think you may asking whether you can have a Geocaching.com event published that takes place in a virtual meeting room, like Zoom. If that's the question, then the answer is no.

I point you to the logging article, "Once you have physically attended the Event, choose the log type “Attended” to earn your smiley."  LINKY

and the event guidelines, "Takes place at the posted coordinates "   LINKY

On the other hand, you can certainly use a virtual meeting place to get together with others.

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

What with the current situation with the virus and social distancing and all that entails,  a thought just crossed my mind. We cannot have events as we did just three months ago. BUT, we have such wonderful apps like Zoom now. How would we conduct a meeting via Zoom?

Unless you would know the participating people and invite them separately it could be a boondoggle. The only other way I would know- and I and not that Zoom savvy -  would be to set up the event, and the publicize the meeting number. Then you have no control and  anyone coiuyld join the event, non-cachers , muggles, etc. 

We have a local group that normally coordinates on Facebook, so that's where the Zoom invitations are posted. We've had about a dozen participants which seems to be a good number for that medium.

I was thinking of such a meeting that would count as an event, but then realized that did not meet the criteria such as at a physical place. And. I did not think to check forums for previous discussions. It h just came to mind while I was on the forum. All have a great day. 

I have some caches I just need to get!! four more to beat May of 2019 caches, six to beat  total 2019 caches, and 34 to reach 1000. Why  am I here at home?

• Upvote 1