geocaching from horseback

mac266

My wife and I will geocache on occasion, but it isn't really her thing.  She is a horse whisperer.  I can stay in the saddle, but she is a no kidding whisperer.  She trains horses using the "natural horsemanship" method, which I find absolutely remarkable.  I do what she tells me to do and it works, but watching her is like watching an artist.  I swear, she speaks horse.

In any event, I ride because it's something to do with her; it is not a passion for me like it is for her.  So we went to a popular rural area where horseback riding is allowed, and rode about a 4.5 mile loop.  It took 4 hours because we were geocaching along the way!  I have to admit, that was rather fun.  I think we'll be doing more of that in the future.

• Love 1

Awesome. There are (apparently!) several households on my little rural road where horses live. They and their people are out on our road and through the woods around us nearly every day. 
Just one more reason for me to really like where I live.

My wife's trying to figure out a way to have them loiter for a while at (meaning 'over') her new gardens!

• Funny 1
On 5/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

Awesome. There are (apparently!) several households on my little rural road where horses live. They and their people are out on our road and through the woods around us nearly every day. 

My wife's trying to figure out a way to have them loiter for a while at (meaning 'over') her new gardens!

Be nice, but what I understand older is better.

I think they mean that fresh manure isn’t best for a garden. 

We have horses and do use the compost they help to make on our garden. We don’t have transportation for them, but one of our dreams is to get out caching from the saddle. In a neighboring state and other places within a few hours, there are even caches hidden at rider height so you don’t need to dismount. 

9 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Jayeffel - I'm sorry; I don't understand your reply.

Sorry, from what you wrote I took it your wife was looking for horse contributions to soil management-- manure. And my response was I understand that older manure is better than fresh. at least horse manure. Just a thought that came when I read your message.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, mac266 said:

In any event, I ride because it's something to do with her; it is not a passion for me like it is for her.  So we went to a popular rural area where horseback riding is allowed, and rode about a 4.5 mile loop.  It took 4 hours because we were geocaching along the way!  I have to admit, that was rather fun.  I think we'll be doing more of that in the future.

That sounds like fun.  :)    We have a few designated horse trails in game lands here.

I did one biking once, and just getting on/off a bike tuckered me out.   :D

On 5/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

On 5/15/2020 at 8:34 PM, Jayeffel said:

Be nice, but what I understand older is better.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:09 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

Jayeffel - I'm sorry; I don't understand your reply.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:22 AM, RecipeForDisaster said:

I think they mean that fresh manure isn’t best for a garden. 

<...>

On 5/16/2020 at 7:12 AM, Jayeffel said:

Sorry, from what you wrote I took it your wife was looking for horse contributions to soil management-- manure. And my response was I understand that older manure is better than fresh. at least horse manure. Just a thought that came when I read your message.

Jayeffel & ReipeForDisaster -

Aha!

Thanks! Didn't know that - WOULDN'T know that. Even though I live in the woods now, I grew up in the wilds of Flatbush. The horses I came into contact with were mostly under cops, on holidays, at parades.

A lesson in horticultural equiscatology. Every day, something new & useful. :D

On 5/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, mac266 said:

My wife and I will geocache on occasion, but it isn't really her thing.  She is a horse whisperer.  I can stay in the saddle, but she is a no kidding whisperer.  She trains horses using the "natural horsemanship" method, which I find absolutely remarkable.  I do what she tells me to do and it works, but watching her is like watching an artist.  I swear, she speaks horse.

I love the idea of geocaching while horseback riding! Your wife sounds amazing! A favorite movie of mine is The Horse Whisperer. 

On 5/12/2020 at 1:32 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

FYI, horses' digestive systems don't digest weed seeds.  So by spreading horse manure, you spread weeds.  Someone else mentioned composting it.  We've found that composting it for 6 months to a year is about all you need.  So we always have two piles -- one that is composting and the other we are currently adding to.  Once a year, the old pile gets spread over the pasture and gone over with a chain harrow to break it up.  It's ok for fertilizer at that point.  Then the new pile becomes the old pile, and we start a new pile.