Recover all info one 1 account

Elysah

Hi everyone,

I few years ago, I created an account on GC and found my first caches.

I left it for a while... and recently, while on a trip abroad, I decided to get back to GC.

I didn't remember my login and pswd so I created a new account and logged the new caches I found.

Now I would like to have all my findings in 1 account. I have read it is impossible to merge 2 accounts.

Help Page suggest to either

1/ Create a new team account and re-log past finds on the new account, but that means the date/time of findings and comments would be lost, right?

2/ Make your existing account a team account (edit username and disable unused account)? This one I don't get it... what's making a "team account" and how would editing the username be enough to transfer all the info?

Oh, and I only have logs, no owned caches.

Hope you can help me... thanks!

Elysah

Edited by Elysah

Do you remember the name of your old account, just not the password?  If so, have you tried password recovery via Geocaching.com?

If you remember the name of the old account but can't reset the password for some reason, you can still search for finds logged by that account.  From the search results, go to each cache page, find your log from your old account, and re-log it using the new account.  Use the same date as the original find.  Use whatever text you'd like, including copying the contents of the prior log, but be sure to add a sentence to explain what you're doing:  "I am back-logging caches I found using a prior account."

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
44 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Do you have access to both accounts now?  If so, you can import all of the finds for one account into GSAK, and re-log them (with the original) date for the other.

Bit of a learning curve, so might depend on how many caches you want to re-log...

Basic members can do that with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife?    Without a GSAK premium membership too ?  Thanks.  :)    

45 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Basic members can do that with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife?    Without a GSAK premium membership too ?  Thanks.  :)    

A good point.  Would be a harder without the My Finds PQ, but a Basic Member can certainly use the logging feature.

Just noticed that the OP only has three finds on this account.  I suspect that GSAK might be overkill...

7 hours ago, Elysah said:

Hi everyone,

I few years ago, I created an account on GC and found my first caches.

I left it for a while... and recently, while on a trip abroad, I decided to get back to GC.

I didn't remember my login and pswd so I created a new account and logged the new caches I found.

Now I would like to have all my findings in 1 account. I have read it is impossible to merge 2 accounts.

Help Page suggest to either

1/ Create a new team account and re-log past finds on the new account, but that means the date/time of findings and comments would be lost, right?

2/ Make your existing account a team account (edit username and disable unused account)? This one I don't get it... what's making a "team account" and how would editing the username be enough to transfer all the info?

Oh, and I only have logs, no owned caches.

Hope you can help me... thanks!

Elysah

To answer the original question, just relog the finds under the old account to the new account. Use the old, original log data/times, and as Keystone said, include a line in each log about why you're logging years in the past (future?).

If you can't remember the old account name, just use the map to find a cache you remember bagging, then go back through the logs until you find you. Look at that account's profile, and you'll have a complete list of what you did under that account.

FYI, there's no such thing as a 'Team Account'. It's just a regular ol' account that people USE in groups, like in a family, or if you always cache with the same mopes.

Welcome back.

45 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Without a GSAK premium membership too ?

GSAK was a free to use, but got a Nag screen after the trial period to try to get you registered

It's now free, no payment needed.

Completely missed that part of Cerberus’ question!  Yep, no payment required for GSAK now.

On 5/12/2020 at 3:56 PM, IceColdUK said:

Completely missed that part of Cerberus’ question!  Yep, no payment required for GSAK now.

Still, if it's for a handful of caches,  it may be faster to manually type in logs than to download and install GSAK (especially, if one doesn't have a PC) and then learn how to use it.

If it were me,  searching for the old, found caches on the map, then looking through the logs to find the old username, then use the password recovery feature would be the easiest way to go.  

Hi everyone, 

And thanks a lot for the many replies :)

I tried the method suggested by Keystone and others (log old finds with old dates), and it worked perfectly.

Tbh, I didn't realise you could log caches with older dates ^^

Will delete the other ones to avoid duplicates.

Elysah

• Upvote 1